Turn on thread page Beta

buying the morning after pill for someone else? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok the title basically says it. my best friend was having sex with her boyfriend when the condom split. She was ready to forget about it and if worst came to worse have an abortion if she ended up pregnant. But I thought this was a little reckless and could turn into a bit of a trauma if she did end up pregnant so I convinced her that she should get the morning after pill ( dunno if that was the right thing to do ).
    Anyway she's working today and tomorrow and it happened friday night so I said I'd go get it for her. But now I'm not sure if thats possible cos I read in one of these threads something about them making you take it in front of you. The only time I've had to take it i was abroad and went to the doctor so I've no idea what happens over here. Can I just go into boots and ask for the pill and then take it around to hers after work?
    speedy replies please as we do have the whole 72 hours time limit
    thank u

ReputationRep:
    I have taken the morning after 30hrs after having sex...and I ended up pregnant. Throughout my A Levels I had the issue of "do I abort or don't I?" and my A Levels suffered as a result. The morning after is most effective when taken within 12hrs. So tell her to do it ASAP!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah but the thing is she can't get it cos she's working so I said I'd go for her. but now I wanna know if I can do that or does it actually have to be the person who needs it? sorry if that wasn't clear

ReputationRep:
    well for a start, she's already many hours ahead. And IF you're buying it then yes you can get it and don't have to take it right away so you can take it to her. Just explain the situation to the pharmacist. Though how you're gonna find one on a Sunday is beyond me...

ReputationRep:
    We get it free in our area, but we have to give the pharmacist our name and add, but i think a family planning centre is a bit more sympathetic!
    Seeing as its a sunday, you may have to travel miles to find somewhere thats open, or you could try a pharmacist in a supermarket
    Iv never heard of them making you take it infront of them though!

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe you can, when I've worked at a pharmacy we've turned away men trying to buy it for their partners so the same would apply to friends. They do ask if it's for YOUR use because there are questions that need asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    doubt it. just don't mention who it's for.

if they probe, just let them know you're friend at work is waiting for it!
    You should never lie when buying drugs, it can be dangerous.

They won't sell it to her if she's buying it for a friend - that reason just isn't acceptable to all the pharmacists I've ever met. They can ONLY sell it to the person taking it.

ReputationRep:
    I would grab your friend in her lunchbreak and get to a pharmacy or clinic.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you could if you pretend its for you. When I got it from Boots the questions were pretty blaggable. But as blissy said it could be dangerous buying it for her - you might not know some medical details about her which might apply.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When I took it, it I had to take it in front of them!

ReputationRep:
    update- I went in about an hour ago and I couldn't buy it for her because They need you to take in front of them and sign a form. so I'm trying to see if there are any chemists with extended opening hours or if she can go in before work tomorrow. Trouble is I can see her not wanting to bother because she wasn't going to in the first place and she'd probably be too embarrassed to go to boots because she used to work there so she'd know the pharmacists. I can't grab her in her lunch break cos she works quite a way out of town.

(Original post by blissy)
    You should never lie when buying drugs, it can be dangerous.

They won't sell it to her if she's buying it for a friend - that reason just isn't acceptable to all the pharmacists I've ever met. They can ONLY sell it to the person taking it.
    quite.

i know some dont make you tyake it there and then though - alot of the newer pills are just one pill rather than 2. i know of a girl who goes into lots of diff pharmacies (those in our area are free...) and literally stocks up on them.

how stupid is that.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit daft to "stock up"... it's basically like she's using the morning-after pill as her only form of contraception, which is stupid for so many reasons.

I work in a pharmacy, and they don't make you take it in front of the pharmacist there. But they do ask a lot of questions, so I don't think it'd really be possible to blag it.

ReputationRep:
    I work in a pharmacy (or did up until yesterday), and there is NO WAY any pharmacist I have ever worked with (and we've been on locums for six months so that's a lot of pharmacists) would sell it to you/give it to you for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    on a side note...at school years ago we were taught that if you took it more than 3/4 times it can completely screw up your fertility..is this true?

ReputationRep:
    When me and my bf were in the same situation ( condom split ) we went down to boots for emergency contraception. It cost us £24 and i had to fill out loads of forms and have like a small medical to make sure i was ok etc.

That was because i didnt go to the doctor. but i didnt have to take it in front of him...

I recomend your friend gets it herself, take her 30 mins of her time - surely its worth that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplecrayon)
    When me and my bf were in the same situation ( condom split ) we went down to boots for emergency contraception. It cost us £24 and i had to fill out loads of forms and have like a small medical to make sure i was ok etc.

That was because i didnt go to the doctor. but i didnt have to take it in front of him...

I recomend your friend gets it herself, take her 30 mins of her time - surely its worth that?
    It wasnt that detailed for me. When I went to boots the woman just asked me a few questions and told me some stuff. Technically I could have easily got if for someone else if I'd blagged the questions.

ReputationRep:
    I wish it wasnt so detailed for me, the lady working on the counter use to be a teacher assistant at my middle school and knew me. I had to go to the pharmacists office and when he stepped out to get me the pill she stuck her head in and was like ' you can go to the doctor for free you know' and even said my name...

i was pretty embarassed and didnt want her to think bad of me! I knew that it wasnt my fault but hey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplecrayon)
    I wish it wasnt so detailed for me, the lady working on the counter use to be a teacher assistant at my middle school and knew me. I had to go to the pharmacists office and when he stepped out to get me the pill she stuck her head in and was like ' you can go to the doctor for free you know' and even said my name...

i was pretty embarassed and didnt want her to think bad of me! I knew that it wasnt my fault but hey!
    Awww...poor you I think I would have died on the spot

It was really really busy in the shop when I went and there was a huge que of people behind me but the nice lady was at least trying to be discreet and talk really quietly so I was grateful for small mercys :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katherine*)
    Ok the title basically says it. my best friend was having sex with her boyfriend when the condom split. She was ready to forget about it and if worst came to worse have an abortion if she ended up pregnant. But I thought this was a little reckless and could turn into a bit of a trauma if she did end up pregnant so I convinced her that she should get the morning after pill ( dunno if that was the right thing to do ).
    Anyway she's working today and tomorrow and it happened friday night so I said I'd go get it for her. But now I'm not sure if thats possible cos I read in one of these threads something about them making you take it in front of you. The only time I've had to take it i was abroad and went to the doctor so I've no idea what happens over here. Can I just go into boots and ask for the pill and then take it around to hers after work?
    speedy replies please as we do have the whole 72 hours time limit
    thank u
    If she does a dossy job, like working in a shop or something you could fill in for her whilst she pops to the pharmacy and gets the pill?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.