Having children be illegal if the parent has a family history of negative traits? Watch

This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
i second him !!!
(her) hunni
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
imagine you really wanted a kid of u'r own.......but u weren't allowed to have one only cos u'r child might catch the disease u have got...........................no w, how would you feel!??
caz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I never said that anybody deserved to suffer. He didn't suffer most of his life anyway even when he was ill he was quite happy. His mind was always active and he knew from an early age he would not make it past 20.

If he wasn't born into that body he may never have been born at all and I am sure he was glad he born. I admit he did once break down into tears when in front of me due to it all but other than that he was happy.
I really don't understand your point of view...the person is not the body, the person is their self

This is not looking out for those who can be happy in spite of, but to allow them to be happier in addition to
caz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saf!)
imagine you really wanted a kid of u'r own.......but u weren't allowed to have one only cos u'r child might catch the disease u have got...........................no w, how would you feel!??
People don't have to have kids...there are lots of infertile people out there who want to have kids.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I never said that anybody deserved to suffer. He didn't suffer most of his life anyway even when he was ill he was quite happy. His mind was always active and he knew from an early age he would not make it past 20.

If he wasn't born into that body he may never have been born at all and I am sure he was glad he born. I admit he did once break down into tears when in front of me due to it all but other than that he was happy.
:eek: imagine knowing when your gonna die!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
I really don't understand your point of view...the person is not the body, the person is their self

This is not looking out for those who can be happy in spite of, but to allow them to be happier in addition to
Your argument seems based on religion or personal beliefs. There is no scientific evidence to suggest we not just born due to two people procreating. Once the body has died the soul may die and never enter another body. Your agument seems a bit to religous.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
I don't believe they did, I thought they tried making a master race? Negative traits have no racial boundaries, though they may appear more commonly in one race as opposed to the other (for obvious evolutional reasons).

They didn't allow people with mental illness to 'breed' - they also enforced euthanasia in many cases.
caz
Rep:
?
Your argument seems based on religion or personal beliefs. There is no scientific evidence to suggest we not just born due to two people procreating. Once the body has died the soul may die and never enter another body. Your agument seems a bit to religous.
Religious? If anything it is not religious.

And, anyway, if the body dies and the person is no longer around then, what has been lost? Tell me, what? If this is your argument, it is selfish outside of the individual.

And there is no scientific evidence to prove that all men are created equal, is there? So science really doesn't support morality anywhere in here now does it?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
What do you think? For instance, if there is mental illness, or skin disease, or other diseases...crippling diseases, and just about anything severe that would be negative to have.

I won't give my opinion on the matter.
Why stop there? Don't let any of those people with obesity problems have any children, and what are we thinking of when we allowed people with heart problems to get a child?!!? In fact lets not have anybody with any sign of defect into our life at all.
caz
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
They didn't allow people with mental illness to 'breed' - they also enforced euthanasia in many cases.
Well not allowing them to breed is not necessarily a bad thing. You brought up the Nazis in a way to completely make the act look bad. The Nazis also cared for their own people.

The original question didn't ask if they should be punished for it.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
Religious? If anything it is not religious.

And, anyway, if the body dies and the person is no longer around then, what has been lost? Tell me, what? If this is your argument, it is selfish outside of the individual.

And there is no scientific evidence to prove that all men are created equal, is there? So science really doesn't support morality anywhere in here now does it?
To be honest I still don't still understand your original argument. If we went with your original argument then a lot of these people would probably never be born at all.
caz
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776 2)
Why stop there? Don't let any of those people with obesity problems have any children, and what are we thinking of when we allowed people with heart problems to get a child?!!? In fact lets not have anybody with any sign of defect into our life at all.
Didn't the question say severe? I don't want anybody bringing up jackass arguments like this.

Obesity is reversible, and doesn't take extreme life-threatening methods to fix it (like, say a heart-transplant or other surgeries).
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
Didn't the question say severe? I don't want anybody bringing up jackass arguments like this.

Obesity is reversible, and doesn't take extreme life-threatening methods to fix it (like, say a heart-transplant or other surgeries).
Has some country propsed ruling on making it illegal for those who possess adverse traits to reproduce?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its difficult you can't make it illegal its not fair all parents should be entitled to have kids, if their parents are on drugs etc thats a different matter I shall not go into here.

I had a friends that had a genetic diesese called Jeans. It meant he had a very poor imeune system. He sadly died when he was aged 14. His brother had it and it as well and died when he was 12.

Ian may have died young but he had a happy live even if it was only a very short one. I am sure his parents got 14 years of pleasure from him and so did all his friends. I am certainly glad he was born and than not. Sorry if this is slightly badly worded I am just slightly emotional.
i find part of ur view quite selfish paretns got 14 yrs of happiness- what about him knowing he had a death sentence and that his younger brother will die. I am staying out of this one too tjhough
caz
Rep:
?
To be honest I still don't still understand your original argument. If we went with your original argument then a lot of these people would probably never be born at all.
Like I said, if souls exist, then the soul can enter a healthier body.

If souls do not exist, then life as we know it is really worthless, as when you die you will not longer exist, as to suggest you never existed at all as you are no longer existent. Thus this body lived, it suffered, and it died, and the lasting benefits are those who watched it live and die, who will also die, and will also exist no more, thus making it all very worthless.

As I said, I don't understand your argument.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
Well not allowing them to breed is not necessarily a bad thing. You brought up the Nazis in a way to completely make the act look bad. The Nazis also cared for their own people.

The original question didn't ask if they should be punished for it.
The original question asked if ill people should be allowed to have kids. I was just pointing out that this had been tried before, albeit by a group most people would find abhorrent. Not all of the Nazis' policies were necessarily bad.

However this practice I would find wrong, I'm afraid. It's pointless anyway: you couldn't eradicate genetic disease in this way because there will always be mutations in genes. Plus there's something... horrible about the idea. It's too controlling...
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you can't have this. its ethically diabolical. human life shouldn't be defined by the diseases/disabilitys a person has or hasn't got. im just as equal compared to a person born with a disability, thier rights to life (and the right to children) is just as strong as mine.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
Like I said, if souls exist, then the soul can enter a healthier body.

If souls do not exist, then life as we know it is really worthless, as when you die you will not longer exist, as to suggest you never existed at all as you are no longer existent. Thus this body lived, it suffered, and it died, and the lasting benefits are those who watched it live and die, who will also die, and will also exist no more, thus making it all very worthless.

As I said, I don't understand your argument.
But that also makes you argument pointless.
caz
Rep:
?
But that also makes you argument pointless.
How so? I have no idea what you're even referring to, or trying to argue anymore. Let me know
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
How so? I have no idea what you're even referring to, or trying to argue anymore. Let me know
I don't quite understand you either so its pointless.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads