The Student Room Group

My Bose SoundDock has stopped working

Hi, I've had a Bose SoundDock digital music player for nearly 3 years now. One of these: http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertainment/digital-music-solutions/sounddock-systems/sounddockII/index.jsp

I used to a lot and it used to play fine for all that time, until recently when it suddenly stopped playing my music. I plug in my iPod, turn it on to play, and it displays the song on the iPod screen as playing, with that little blue bar moving and the timer going, but no sound comes out of the speakers :frown:. And I know it's a problem with the Bose speakers and not the iPod, because when I plug my iPod into headphones or earphones, they work fine. I've examined the SoundDock to make sure nothing is physically broken, and it's all plugged in when I play, but to no avail, still doesn't work :banghead:

Basically, what I'm asking is, why would the speaker suddenly stop working? Could I have broken it somehow, or has it simply just gotten too old or overused? If anyone could give answers, I would be very grateful, thanks :cool:
Anyone? :puppyeyes:
Bose - shoddy build quality. Does the iPod show as charging?
Reply 3
pissed.
Reply 4
Metrobeans

Really? Wow I thought Bose were one of the top brands in terms of quality.
Metrobeans

Yeah, it does actually. Just no sound plays. So Bose isn't very good then, is that what you're saying?
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yeah, it does actually. Just no sound plays. So Bose isn't very good then, is that what you're saying?

Their other products might be fine, but the SoundDocks aren't built solidly IMO.
Metrobeans
Their other products might be fine, but the SoundDocks aren't built solidly IMO.

OK. Could that be a reason why it's stopped working now?
check fuses, batteries etc. get someone to take it apart and check for obvious blown internal fuses, bad connections etc.

it'll be fixable, its very rare things like that properly die.

edit - from a very very quick google, it appears the unit is prone to internal ribbon cables coming free from their seating stopping the thing from working.

crack it open and have a look about!
crazyjoyce
check fuses, batteries etc. get someone to take it apart and check for obvious blown internal fuses, bad connections etc.

it'll be fixable, its very rare things like that properly die.

edit - from a very very quick google, it appears the unit is prone to internal ribbon cables coming free from their seating stopping the thing from working.

crack it open and have a look about!

OK then, I will have a look inside it then. Thank you very much :yep:

Where do you think the best place would be to take it to get fixed? Or could I do it myself?
CherryCherryBoomBoom
OK then, I will have a look inside it then. Thank you very much :yep:

Where do you think the best place would be to take it to get fixed? Or could I do it myself?

i take it you're not very technical? you'll probably be fine opening it up yourself, it's only screws... and if things look like they should be connected and arn't, you've probably found the problem.

maybe your dad or someone like that?

edit - just seen your post saying the ipod charges, but no music plays. almost certainly a cable has come free.

see pics here showing what it looks like inside! - http://mike.kruckenberg.com/archives/2006/06/add_aux_input_t.html
crazyjoyce
i take it you're not very technical? you'll probably be fine opening it up yourself, it's only screws... and if things look like they should be connected and arn't, you've probably found the problem.

maybe your dad or someone like that?

edit - just seen your post saying the ipod charges, but no music plays. almost certainly a cable has come free.

see pics here showing what it looks like inside! - http://mike.kruckenberg.com/archives/2006/06/add_aux_input_t.html

I'm not super technical, no. But once I have a guide for what to do I should be fine. My dad's away at the moment, so he can't look at it right now, but I will try it myself. Thanks a lot for the info and that link, you've been a big help. Cheers :thumbsup:
CherryCherryBoomBoom
I'm not super technical, no. But once I have a guide for what to do I should be fine. My dad's away at the moment, so he can't look at it right now, but I will try it myself. Thanks a lot for the info and that link, you've been a big help. Cheers :thumbsup:

no problem, you'll need a size 8 torx screwdriver to get it apart
Reply 13
I have to keep buying them, but on ebay so they're used. My second one just broke too. I think I want a different brand this time. One guy online said it was from pulling ipod out at an angle rather than straight up. He has a youtube video showing how he replaced the pin device, but it was gonna cost him 50 bucks. I can get another used one for that.
When I plug my charger up without plugging it to my SoundDock the green light is real bright on the charger then when I plug it to my Bose SoundDock the light gets down on the charger and starts blinking in and out the green light comes on on the Bose SoundDock but I can I can't do nothing to it with it the power don't seem to come on after I unplug

Quick Reply

Latest