Proteins...Tissue fluid..ahh please hep =) Watch

This discussion is closed.
chocoholic_cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Can anyone help? I have this biology question and well dont really know how to answer it:

Describe the part played by proteins in the plasma in returning tissue fluid to the capillary?

Thank you =) O yeh btw know its a late message but happy new yr everyone! and hope everyone had a brill Xmas.....I got a pogo stick for my Xmas pressie for some reason lol....

Luv Cat
x Dee x
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chocoholic_cat)
Can anyone help? I have this biology question and well dont really know how to answer it:

Describe the part played by proteins in the plasma in returning tissue fluid to the capillary?

Thank you =) O yeh btw know its a late message but happy new yr everyone! and hope everyone had a brill Xmas.....I got a pogo stick for my Xmas pressie for some reason lol....

Luv Cat
Hey ther, I feel ur pain, im stuk revisin stupid respiration and the krebs cycle!! Soz cant help u wit ur question but gud luk nyway! x
chocoholic_cat
Rep:
?
(Original post by x Dee x)
Hey ther, I feel ur pain, im stuk revisin stupid respiration and the krebs cycle!! Soz cant help u wit ur question but gud luk nyway! x
Aww poor you, good luck hope you do well with your test/ exam...hoping for your sake not an exam

Anyways good luck!

O yeh btw on the title thingy I mean help not hep...just cant type
x Dee x
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chocoholic_cat)
Aww poor you, good luck hope you do well with your test/ exam...hoping for your sake not an exam

Anyways good luck!

O yeh btw on the title thingy I mean help not hep...just cant type
Yeah, I guessed, lol! Its a propa exam on the 22nd!!
Gud luk with ur work 2! x
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm writing an essay about the krebs cycle now. well actually it's called the citric acid cycle or TCA cycle now. Grr everything changes from A level. Meh I hate writing essays. That's why I chose a science subject!
chocoholic_cat
Rep:
?
(Original post by x Dee x)
Yeah, I guessed, lol! Its a propa exam on the 22nd!!
Gud luk with ur work 2! x
Hehe thanks, think your luck kinda works coz just managed to make up an answer for the question...which is semi-believable to me so hoping its right!

Aww so you got your A-level bio on 22nd?!? Poor you, its so mean of them to place exams in jan coz totally ruins Xmas...recon it should be round feb =)
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Simplistically, it's to do with osmosis (it's slightly more complex than this, but I'm guessing you don't require degree level)

At the arterial end of the capillary, high hydrostatic pressure basically filters water out into the surrounding tissues ( a bit like a sieve)... The proteins remain in the capillary.

As a result of fluid leaving the capillary and the proteins remaining inside, towards the venule end of the capillary, osmosis promotes the reabsorption of water.

Hope that makes sense... it's easier to explain with a diag. If you don't get it, reply, and I'll try to clarify my answer.
x Dee x
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
Simplistically, it's to do with osmosis (it's slightly more complex than this, but I'm guessing you don't require degree level)

At the arterial end of the capillary, high hydrostatic pressure basically filters water out into the surrounding tissues ( a bit like a sieve)... The proteins remain in the capillary.

As a result of fluid leaving the capillary and the proteins remaining inside, towards the venule end of the capillary, osmosis promotes the reabsorption of water.

Hope that makes sense... it's easier to explain with a diag. If you don't get it, reply, and I'll try to clarify my answer.
U do biology at degree? Thats wat iv applied 4 so if u hav, is it ny gud? x
chocoholic_cat
Rep:
?

O wow thank you soooo much! Yeh it does make sense, and helps alot coz the answer I wrote before I forgot to write about the arterial end, and just wrote about the venule end.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm a 3rd year medstudent at Nottingham - It's brilliant!

If you need more detail, I can probably try and explain, but I'd imagine that's sufficient for a-level.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

If you need more detail, I can probably try and explain, but I'd imagine that's sufficient for a-level.
Hi Joy, I'm a 1st year medic at Bristol. I was really tempted to go to notts but decided not to as it was too far away. The BMedSci did look very tempting though. I remember my nottingham interview....I met some great people while I was there and I will never forget doing that IQ questionnaire thingy when it was pouring down outside and a group of 4 of us were discussing the answers. Oh, the memories...lol.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago

Shudder. I remember the horror of that fricking online questionairre. Stupid sodding place, rejected me outright. Still, I'm happy where I am now.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Shudder. I remember the horror of that fricking online questionairre. Stupid sodding place, rejected me outright. Still, I'm happy where I am now.

I remember...."Describe your limitations" or something. Wasn't the P.S. enough for them? You're at cambridge now though *i think*...a future surgeon, academic, GP, physician...?
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
I remember...."Describe your limitations" or something. Wasn't the P.S. enough for them? You're at cambridge now though *i think*...a future surgeon, academic, GP, physician...?
I wouldnt have minded "Describe your limitations" except it then said "in 20 or less words"
Nottingham must be full of very concise individuals.
I'm tempted to go into virology myself, or try to work for WHO. its very interesting
J
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I wouldnt have minded "Describe your limitations" except it then said "in 20 or less words"
Nottingham must be full of very concise individuals.
I'm tempted to go into virology myself, or try to work for WHO. its very interesting
J

I don't think they minded as long as you stuck a "however" half way through the sentence.
Virology is very interesting, the IHV have some fascinating research projects at the moment. Its founder, Dr. Gallo, was the co-discoverer of the HIV virus.
An ever expanding field for the future.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol... concise - I sooo wish that was true at the moment - I'm completing my BMedSci diss this week and the word limit is a challenge! Can't believe my BMedSci is almost complete, but looking forwards to clinicals.

I have to agree, the online questionnaire was rather a nightmare to complete. I nearly died when I submitted mine and there was a problem with the website. Luckily I'd printed off a copy, so retyping it wasn't too horrendous.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol... concise - I sooo wish that was true at the moment - I'm completing my BMedSci diss this week and the word limit is a challenge! Can't believe my BMedSci is almost complete, but looking forwards to clinicals.

I have to agree, the online questionnaire was rather a nightmare to complete. I nearly died when I submitted mine and there was a problem with the website. Luckily I'd printed off a copy, so retyping it wasn't too horrendous.
Bachelor of Medical Science?? I'm still getting to grips with G-proteins and acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency!!
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
biochem.... <shudder> !!!!!!

Yep, the 1st 2 and 1/2 years here contribute to a BMedSci. Spent all of the last semester researching factors determings whether or not an individual develops hay fever, and am just completing dissertation... arrrggghhh.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
biochem.... <shudder> !!!!!!

Yep, the 1st 2 and 1/2 years here contribute to a BMedSci. Spent all of the last semester researching factors determings whether or not an individual develops hay fever, and am just completing dissertation... arrrggghhh.
how the hell do you start a dissertation? I've got my gross topic (evolution of pandemic influenza) I've alot of reading under my belt, but i just cant just start on some random subtopic. besides the keyword they tell is is 'original piece'. how can a 3rd year pleb like me write something that proper academics havent!?
J
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
good question!!! I'm not entirely sure whether I know the answer even though I've written mine.

Is it a lab based project???

My project was based on an existing dataset, so I didn't have any data collection (sounds good, but not when you realise all the flaws in the data you've inherited - my favourite being... 'How many siblings does the child have in total?... 2, How many of these siblings are older than the child?... 3').

After I'd done my main lit search and reading, I started by 'summarsing' (easier said than done when faced with a forests worth of research papers) what hay fever is... immunology, genetics, prevalence etc, so I guess yours will be the microbiology side????

Good luck!

I'm off to present mine now - I'm scared to death actually, as all the people I'm presenting to know far more than I do. It's only a practice though for my assessed presentation on Monday. GULP!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads