Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanting to know who else is doing medicine at Notts 2005!
    Looking forward to it - 70% excited 30% scared :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Rai, (euarne) is doin medicine..
    plus a few others.. im not entirely sure

but there'll be a small bunch of malaysian doing medicine there.. met them today.. all very pleasant people!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am doing Medicine as Finnstar already mentioned; Henry is doing Medicine too and a couple of others. So which halls are you in?

30% scared is huge I would say I am apprehensive for I can't differentiate between excitement and fear.

ReputationRep:
    awww don't be scared! You'll have a fantastic time here. Just make sure you enjoy it - As a 5th year, I regret perhaps not making the most of my 1st year

ReputationRep:
    im lookin forward to it so much! think its gona b great. joy, do you know a girl called alison? blonde hair, glasses. cant remember her last name...but wen i did my work experience at city hospital she was like my guide

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing medicine too. It's going to be great!! (but yes, still nervous)

I'm Anna.

ReputationRep:
    hey again - jst wondering bout the whole vaccination thing. I read that you don't need anything done until you get to uni. Just had meningitis c jab but haven't had hep b - what are you guys doing?

medicine 2005 - cavendish

ReputationRep:
    I dont think we need to have had them, but the menigintis ones are a good thing, since its strife at universities. I had all my hep B jabs ages ago, and the blood test, but since I dont have a certificate for it, I'll have to have it again. They'll do the hep b immunisations there, so if you havn't had them its ok.

ReputationRep:
    I had HepB over the past year and had the blood test this January and all the records are with the GP. So if they want to have a look at imms history they would just be able to refer it. But I still might need the blood test again to clarify matters. I had menC about 2 years back, so I might need that. MMR I had one last year, so I should be ok there.

ReputationRep:
    yep, i think im ok on the mmr, I've had some decent ones like typhoid recently, and I need a hep A update before november, and im immune for 10 years!! I also dont have HIV, which is good. I'm going to give blood again next week since I'm now maraia free (been through the 6 month quarantine)

yay!! somehow I get a rush from blood tests... dont know why.

ReputationRep:
    I like giving blood too! I did my second one a couple of weeks ago. And I had to have quarantine for West Nile virus since I was in america for about 2 months. Where did you go that you might have had malaria? I went to India last summer so since it has been a year I am ok with that. I had the second HepA earlier this year so I am immunised for 10 years. Had typhoid and diptheria last year as well! Can't wait to go to some exotic place now

ReputationRep:
    diptheria was the other one, yes. I went to the gambia for christmas (it was excellent. surfed on xmas day), so I'm over my 6months and havnt had a chance to go again since june. I've decided to go on the 19th, and ive book a hair appointment for after, so i can just sit and relax. i dont really want my hair cut but i prob wont cut it for about a year at uni, and it'l look rank after a while (split ends). nothing like a nice first impression is there either? ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Hey chickadees, a 2nd year medic here!! Where are the other 250 people?! Never mind only 12 days to go and you'll have met them all! Don't worry about the vaccinations, i had hep b before i got to uni but you don't have to have had it. And even if you are given the all clear (as i was) they will re test your levels. Mine were no longer in the 'ok' barrier in the space of 1 month, so i had to have another booster (took 6 in total!!!!).
    I wouldnt be looking forward to giving your blood sample. I don't usually mind it but the buggers couldn't find my vein so i had it done in my hand. Had the biggest bruise you have ever seen on my hand and about 3 in each arm where they attempted to stab me, so was not looking my best for week one! Felt like a druggie as well as an alcoholic......

ReputationRep:
    I love blood tests?? i dont know why. i get a high. i have decent veins, all that drug abuse hasnt damaged them. (hehe)

but i dont usually watch the needle go in, im determined to do that this time, and when i give blood on mon. i need to practise looking!

ReputationRep:
    ooo i love looking its the best bit!!! But trust me it hurts when its in your hand! And you will have queued for about 2 hours by the time u actually get stabbed. Although i met 2 of my best mates in the queue in the health centre - so make the most of it haha!

ReputationRep:
    nice. i had a bad needle experiance, but im going to get over it.

ReputationRep:
    oooh... question. I want to know this before i get there so I dont look stupid.. whats the difference between a BMBS and an MBChB? also, is the Bmed sci classified? so we have to work hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anathema)
    oooh... question. I want to know this before i get there so I dont look stupid.. whats the difference between a BMBS and an MBChB? also, is the Bmed sci classified? so we have to work hard?

Right, erm so now i look stupid. Classified as in graded i assume? If so then yep afraid so! But im sure anyone that passes it will get a job!! Though maybe not the one your heart desires unless get a 2.1 or higher. Don't take that as bible tho! You need 60% for a 2.1 and 70% for a 1st, so the boundaries aren't ridiculous.
    As for the BMBS and MBchB... they are all the same as far as my limited knowledge goes. A med degree is a med degree, its just different unis like to have their own title. It really doesnt make a difference.
    Don't worry you wont sound dumb at all!

ReputationRep:
    yay. good stuff, I want a first, but doing some work might take some motivation when most other people have a few lectures a week!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt everyone want a first? haha! Once you have done your exams in jan most people will be pretty pleased to have passed them and wont be worrying so much about getting a 1st! In my opinion I'd rather get a 2.1 and have a life then get a 1st and be locked in my room revising all the time. But theres the odd person that can manage both!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.