The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Manor hall!

did anyone else get in there??? i havent heard a thing from anyone and am beginning to get suspicious.
btw, im new here, but also am a self confessed lurker. dont ilke the hotmail rules (of not being able to register with an account) so i had to reactivate my yahoo one... oh the effort.
im doign sociology come october. feel free to msg me 2 say hi or whatever!

oh btw - manor hall - is there a likelihood (how do u spell that - its sunday morning, no wait, afternoon... argh my head hurts) of gettin put in a shared room? i really dont want to be in one.

xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
flamingoflo
did anyone else get in there??? i havent heard a thing from anyone and am beginning to get suspicious.
btw, im new here, but also am a self confessed lurker. dont ilke the hotmail rules (of not being able to register with an account) so i had to reactivate my yahoo one... oh the effort.
im doign sociology come october. feel free to msg me 2 say hi or whatever!

oh btw - manor hall - is there a likelihood (how do u spell that - its sunday morning, no wait, afternoon... argh my head hurts) of gettin put in a shared room? i really dont want to be in one.

xx

Hi!

I'm a lurker as well. :wink:

I applied to Manor and I got an info pack from them, with stuff like the hall handbook, a few days ago. Theres another Manor appliaction form you'll have to fill in if you get an offer from them (including another personality and hobbies personal statement) that you have to return by the 12th of September. If you don't hear from them tomorrow (the 5th), which I think is their deadline to make an offer to you, call them.

In the prospectus, they say that about 12% of rooms in Manor Hall are shared rooms. They'd probably give priority to people who want shared, then to people who don't mind. So if, like me, you say you definitely want a single room then they'll probably give you one.

Oh, and I'm starting Biochemistry in October. :smile:

EDIT: Oh and btw, Sinclair House has no shared rooms afaik and when you fill in the Manor hall application, you can state whether you would prefer Manor or Sinclair. Though I still suppose some people can't get their first choices.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
hey im in manor and got a pack through on tuesday.Basically asks you if you want to go to sinclair house or manor.
ATG2005, which did you put? I put down sinclair house...but now im thinking i should have chosen manor.
Reply 3
sory i realise how my post sounded. i HAVE heard from the hall, but just noone on the forum has posted anything about it, and there seem to be threads about all the other halls/houses. so to confirm, i hav had the welcome pack!! (remind me , why am i going to bristol again... im actually stupid).

anyways, yes im putting down to be in manor hall as opposed to sinclair house just cuz its bigger and there are family flats in sinclair house and iv spoken to someone i knew who went there and they sed that everyone keeps themselves to themselves there and are quiet. could all change this year though i suppose. hmm. yes so im sorting out my PS right now. its realy dificult writing about yourself.

cheerio!
Reply 4
i know...sat there for hours and hours staring at it. but yes, i posted mine off the other day, and now im thinking that maybe sinclair house wasn't as good. ooh well...does it still come under the same events etc?
Reply 5
oh yep absolutely, richmond house and theres another student house that is under the same protective canopy known as manor hall. its sunday and im a bit fuzzy. but yeh basically manor halls jcr etc will be open to quite a few of the surrounding halls and hosues. cool!
Reply 6
thats ok then. im just really worried now that im going to be a bit cut off being in sinclair..but hopefully not the case. Hey, i might even see you in the bar!
Reply 7
Sinclair House is pretty much just across the yard. I chose Manor, though I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's cos Manor rooms have washbasins, or maybe it's cos the bar's just down the stairs. :cool:
Reply 8
oooh well..ima looking forward to it anyway.. plus i actually got somewhere to live :biggrin:
Reply 9
yeh im sure itll be great wherever we are living in the hall! i hope the room allocation isnt done on a first come first serve basis... do u think it is? in that case im a wee bit later than most i assume. oh well nothing i can do about it now.
getting excited now woo !!!!
Hello there lovely people...just a little notelet to say I'm in manor hall too, it wasn't my first choice (went for the all hallowed goldney) but am sooooo pleased they then gave me to manor! They could have been nasty and put me in a random student house... but manor looks fab! Was it all your 1st choices?
Reply 11
Hey everyone,

I got Manor too! Rejected from Goldney too! ATG2005 - im a biochemist too! I cant stand writing about myself so it really was an effort to do that personal statement thing. Hopefully i'll get a single room in Manor Hall, fingers crossed.

See you all soon!
Reply 12
Nnnnnnnick
Hey everyone,

I got Manor too! Rejected from Goldney too! ATG2005 - im a biochemist too! I cant stand writing about myself so it really was an effort to do that personal statement thing. Hopefully i'll get a single room in Manor Hall, fingers crossed.

See you all soon!

Hi Nick! :smile: Yay! Another Manor biochemist! I wonder how many there'll be in the entire hall. At the front of the Biochemistry Department Handbook it proudly said (bless) that over 20% of all Bristol students take one or more of their modules so I'm guessing its a good number.
ooh..more manor people. But yeah, looks like a lot of people in the biology field will be living there. Do you think they group you in the halls/flats in manor or sinclair depending on your course and stuff?
Reply 14
MonkeyOnIce
ooh..more manor people. But yeah, looks like a lot of people in the biology field will be living there. Do you think they group you in the halls/flats in manor or sinclair depending on your course and stuff?

I think they want to put people with different interests together to make balanced communities, so theyll probably mix people on different courses.
Reply 15
i agree - i wudnt have thought they'd want to put all the scientists together etc cuz it cud result in a lack of integration between all the corridoors, flats etc.
so iv heard its about 14 people to a kitchen and bathroom arranged in corridoor stylie .... and also i have been told that its arranged boys of ground floor, then girls, then boys etc (you get the picture) on each level of the hall. im thinking its probably a good thing though (from a female perspective) as we are generally (i stress generally) the cleaner sex. but then i hope we all mix together as well.... ah im sure we will.
does anyone else know antyhing about the hall that is useful??
Hi, I got into Manor Hall too.

14 people to a bathroom? Flippin' eck. Oh well, I'm laid back enough to cope.
I'll be studying Maths with Stats, any other mathematicians?

Hope to see you all soon. Xx
Reply 17
emma_louise
Hi, I got into Manor Hall too.

14 people to a bathroom? Flippin' eck. Oh well, I'm laid back enough to cope.
I'll be studying Maths with Stats, any other mathematicians?

Hope to see you all soon. Xx

Hi there, I'm doing maths but I'm not in Manor Hall. Stats.....bah, how could you? :p:
Reply 18
I was under the impression that there are about 11-14 people per corridor with two kitchens, one at either end of the corridor. And I think they either have multiple bathrooms or bathroom blocks (with several shower cubicles and toilets). I cant remember where I read this though. :confused:
Reply 19
yeh that would make sense. actually i stayed one night in a hall at cambridge (no i didnt get in!!) and there was about 10 rooms to a kitchen/bathroom....and yeh the bathrooms were like in a little block with 2 loos and a bath tub room thing and a shower room..... so hopefuly itl b more like that than what i was imagining i.e. one shower room and one toilet room.
koolios!
does anyone know if we hear back from them again before we start with regards to room numbers etc - i want my address!

Latest