Turn on thread page Beta

"Is it really humanly possible to abstain from sex completely?" watch

ReputationRep:
    Here an interesting question, do you guys think that its really possible for someone to abstain from any type of sexual activity (whether through intercourse or masturbation) all throught out their lives. Roman Catholic priests are quite famous for claiming that it can be done but recent scandals involving priests having sexual relations with young children have shown that human sexual urges still at times continue to prevail.

The philosopher "Saint" Augustine considered sexual intercourse a necessary physical act (and he himself had a wife and several mistresses) but it is only the accompaniment of sex with lust which makes it a "wicked sin". Saint Augustine's stance on sex was most characterized by his famous quote "Give me chastity and continence, only not yet".

Yes it is possible that some priests may refrain themselves from having sexual intercourse, but whether they can stop themselves from privately masturbating to release their "natural" human instincts is questionable.

What is your opinion on this issue?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    Oh c'mon mate, your doing law I'm sure you can do better than that. Okay you answered my main question "Is it possible.." but you didn't even try to justify your answer (which I'm sure you could!!).

ReputationRep:
    Well, to be fair, you did just ask a question which was answered. It's going to be quite tricky to justify the answers to this kind of question. It's not like you'll be able to find someone willing to be an example...

ReputationRep:
    some people don't have high sex drives so yeah I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them to abstain. I've heard of asexual people who never experience any sexual desire and don't even want to masturbate. I imagine it would take tremendous willpower for someone with a really high sex drive though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justice (OCD85))
    Oh c'mon mate, your doing law I'm sure you can do better than that. Okay you answered my main question "Is it possible.." but you didn't even try to justify your answer (which I'm sure you could!!).
    LOL. You asked a question and got an answer. :p:

Okay, I think because of the way human instincts are I think it will be a rare occurance if no religious people indulged in sexual activity than those who claim that they don't.

ReputationRep:
    Alright then let me rephrase my question..

"Do you think its humanly possible for anyone to completely abstain from sex all through out their lives?" and if so "why?"

ReputationRep:

"Do you think its humanly possible for anyone to completely abstain from sex all through out their lives?" and if so "why?"
    Yes, I think it's possible. Why? Some people have a naturally lower sex drive than others; and some people have a greater self-control than others.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the situation and the person.
    In the western world, ive noticed that sex is displayed and more outright - even from the young age of *its different for so many people* people seem to be addicted to sex, whether it be from friends, tv or other sources.
    Meanwhile when i visited Bangladesh, its very hidden (when i was younger i didnt even realise it was there)
    So i feel the place and situation affects it largely...
    like Manatee said - Yes, I think it's possible. Why? Some people have a naturally lower sex drive than others; and some people have a greater self-control than others.

thats another factor too ._. mmm i think its possible but probably quite hard now

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that many people can say they've never masturbated or sexually experimented in all their lives, what about when these people were little kids and hardly knew what they were doing? It's probably possible either through complete self-discipline and a strict upbringing towards sexual matters or through being asexual, but I don't think it's common at all.

ReputationRep:

An obvious reason is castration.
    In fact, there have been cases of children who have been brought up in complete isolation- feral children- who showed no interest in or understanding of sexuality. Quite possibly some of the people who sublimate their sexual desires and do not experience sexual arousal or interest are telling the truth. whether it is any good for them or other people is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    To me, a more interesting question is "Why would anyone wish to suppress their natural instincts and choose to abstain from sex for life?"

ReputationRep:
    In regards to Manatee's question some people might seek to abstain from sex all their lives because of their religious beliefs. Roman Catholic priests, for example, believe that abstention from sex is one of the main ways to god or the supreme reward of heaven. Some believe that sex is "irrational" and morally corrupting, its a natural human drive that they seek suppress maybe because they believe that it will not bring them the intellectual or spiritual fulfillment that they desire (indeed some of the greatest philosophers dislike "sex" so much that they have notably ignored the whole issue completely!!).

However, whether or not people who want to suppress their sexual desires all through out their lives succeed is another matter!!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. It all depends on how you are brought up. Children may 'explore' unknowingly, but once told that it's not 'right', they can stop it.

I'm not saying that sex is bad here- that's for you to decide. It's just possible.

ReputationRep:
    It is "Humanly" possible, since nuns and monks go throughout their lives with out it (supposedly). However, I do think its unhealthy, esp. from a psychological point of view. All of us have a sex drive, and the act itself is in no way immoral (provided you do it naturally...), so there is no reason why anyone should really practice abstinence. OK, maybe no sex before marriage, due to traditional views (which i totally respect), but no sex at all is robbing yourself of the totally natural act of love. Even Thomas More notes in Utopia that all Utopians reguarly have sex, since its one of the greatest forms of pleasure, and pleasure is what makes humans benevolent!

So, to conclude, sex is great with the right person at the right time, but "Don't be a fool - wrap your tool".

ReputationRep:
    Personally no. A battle with the rattlesnake in bed is the perfect tonic for a one way ticket to nodadale.

(Original post by Nysh)
    Children may 'explore' unknowingly, but once told that it's not 'right', they can stop it.
    It does depend on how thoroughly they've "explored", dosen't it?

ReputationRep:
    If you were castrated, it'd be depressingly easy. and if you also had hemorrhoids, even more so. (covering all bases here).

ReputationRep:
    However, I do think its unhealthy, esp. from a psychological point of view.
    I agree with what che_guevara said (hey that's kinda fun to say) that it's unhealthy. I haven't personally known someone who is asexual just heard about them and although I do believe that there are these people with no sex drive it's got to be a pretty small minority.
    I feel that restraining yourself (as in the case of priests) could mess around with your head if you do still have a sex drive in you, I feel that this is a factor in priests abusing young boys. They still have the drive telling them to have sex but hey can't with any women and it ends up getting released that way.
    Lust is pretty damn hard to control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    Lust is pretty damn hard to control.
    So true!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.