This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I think it would be a good idea if everyone who votes were to take a politics test first to make sure their vote was informed.
what do you think?
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
I think it would be a good idea if everyone who votes were to take a politics test first to make sure their vote was informed.
what do you think?
Would this be for people aged 16-18? Or for everybody before the first time they vote?
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
surely the whole idea of the vote is tha t EVRYONE has it - jeez, women campaigned for it long and hard enough, no you wanna take it away based ona TEST?! oh dear, oh dear, oh dear
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by El_Borish)
surely the whole idea of the vote is tha t EVRYONE has it - jeez, women campaigned for it long and hard enough, no you wanna take it away based ona TEST?! oh dear, oh dear, oh dear
it wouldnt be hard - just to make sure they knew what they were voting about otherwise - what's the point in a vote at all when lots of people don't really know enough to make an informed decision
TK
Rep:
?
first time would be a good idea
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its bad enough with ppl not bothering to vote, you dont need the population witteled down any more with testing.

better education of politics at school would help. anyway it would ruin the idea of democracy, an uninformed vote is just as important (and valuable) as an informed one, sounds crazy i know
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by MattG)
its bad enough with ppl not bothering to vote, you dont need the population witteled down any more with testing.

better education of politics at school would help. anyway it would ruin the idea of democracy, an uninformed vote is just as important (and valuable) as an informed one, sounds crazy i know
ok - maybe not a test - just the idea of making sure people are informed before they vote - isn't that a good idea? any ideas other than a test?
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it wouldnt be hard - just to make sure they knew what they were voting about otherwise - what's the point in a vote at all when lots of people don't really know enough to make an informed decision
hard to define between 'uninformed' and 'not your opinion' perhaps?
TK
Rep:
?
hard to define between 'uninformed' and 'not your opinion' perhaps?
you're one who's always looking for an argument aren't you? maybe - but it wouldn't necessarily be my opinion - it's fine all i wanted were people's opinions and you're against it. thanks for commenting
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what do you think?
no cos that would discriminate agaisnt those with less educaation, ie the pporest pple who are the least to turn out anyway.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok - maybe not a test - just the idea of making sure people are informed before they vote - isn't that a good idea? any ideas other than a test?
Isn't that why they bombard your letterbox with leaflets begging you to 'vote [party]'?
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah education, here we go, 1997 labour thing here...

education education education

ideas such as the youth parliament should be expanded, local election voting ages should be lowered to 16 so ppl experience local politics more (therefore hopefully making ppl more political) state voting ages should stay the same tho...
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
yeah education, here we go, 1997 labour thing here...

education education education

ideas such as the youth parliament should be expanded, local election voting ages should be lowered to 16 so ppl experience local politics more (therefore hopefully making ppl more political) state voting ages should stay the same tho...
well labpour does nick most of its gd ideas of the Conservatives by triangulation.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you're one who's always looking for an argument aren't you? maybe - but it wouldn't necessarily be my opinion - it's fine all i wanted were people's opinions and you're against it. thanks for commenting
always looking for an argument? moi? well paint me red and call me Mr. White! i thought you were looking for opinions? i dont mean it as argument, just discussion :rolleyes:
TK
Rep:
?
always looking for an argument? moi? well paint me red and call me Mr. White! i thought you were looking for opinions? i dont mean it as argument, just discussion :rolleyes:
i know - it's good - thanks.
Believe it or not i value everyone's opinion equally
azz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what would the questions be like ? what is the main component of labour's manifesto ? surely this could vary hugely and be a completely subjective question, its down to personal opinion which is exactly why everyone has a vote. also, most people who may not be up to your standards of knowledge around politics will probably not vote.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*chuckles* discussion is good, but the open mindedness of the world seems to be closing these days.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't test people, they weren't going to vote anyway...

Slightly off-topic but Ken Livingston has gone back to Labour, what's everyone think about it? Now I think he's a c**t, first the evil price hikes on public transport (£3 from Mile End to Plaistow and back, what the f**k!? Glad I'm going to Manchester now!), now he joins the evil liars with their 40% inheritance tax, now I am a Tory voter.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Don't test people, they weren't going to vote anyway...

Slightly off-topic but Ken Livingston has gone back to Labour, what's everyone think about it? Now I think he's a c**t, first the evil price hikes on public transport (£3 from Mile End to Plaistow and back, what the f**k!? Glad I'm going to Manchester now!), now he joins the evil liars with their 40% inheritance tax, now I am a Tory voter.
God bless the tories. They are the true movers and shakers for the people.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
God bless the tories. They are the true movers and shakers for the people.
It was knowing that they would cut inheritance tax that swung it for me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads