This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
It was knowing that they would cut inheritance tax that swung it for me.
Erm pardon my ignorance, but just what is the inheritance tax?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Erm pardon my ignorance, but just what is the inheritance tax?
It's a tax on the gains you make by way of inheritance. The first £255,000 inherited is untaxed but subsequent gains are taxed 40%. Some countries call it the estate tax, or "death" tax informally.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a tax on the gains you make by way of inheritance. The first £255,000 inherited is untaxed but subsequent gains are taxed 40%. Some countries call it the estate tax, or "death" tax informally.
that isn't right. Its like giving someone a $50 note and saying, wait a second. $20 of that belongs to the Government, hand it over son.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
that isn't right. Its like giving someone a $50 note and saying, wait a second. $20 of that belongs to the Government, hand it over son.
Well there you go! Let's gather support for the Tories!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well there you go! Let's gather support for the Tories!
Would you consider Margaret Thatcher a tory, cuz I really liked her. The woman had style.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Would you consider Margaret Thatcher a tory, cuz I really liked her. The woman had style.
Blair has basically ripped off many of Thatcher's ideas. And I don't like Blair. I think that means I don't like Thatcher much...

She's too right-wing for my liking, I'm a paternalist type.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Blair has basically ripped off many of Thatcher's ideas. And I don't like Blair. I think that means I don't like Thatcher much...

She's too right-wing for my liking, I'm a paternalist type.
True, but damn she had style lol
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
True, but damn she had style lol
Yeah that ginger roof of a hairstyle was a great turn-on...
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah that ginger roof of a hairstyle was a great turn-on...
LMAO, but what about the guts it must have taken to have such a hair style, and still expect to be taken seriously
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a terrible idea, the proletariate should obviously be given the same rights as anyone else. Should someone who is illiterate not be able to vote then - surely they should if they want to - they can presumably understand the concepts.
This is merely a veiled attempt at class distinction, as if those who 'understand' are more important. Everyone lives here, everyone is equal.

What needs to change is the way government does things - they're terrible at associating themselves with the public and PMQs are a childish slanging match.
The press needs to stop sensationalising and actually cover some serious politics in an unbiased way as possible. The ITV news is totally rubbish, they show hardly any international news and hardly any politics. Given the popularity of ITV, shouldn't it take a leading role in getting voter apathy down?

Alaric.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
LMAO, but what about the guts it must have taken to have such a hair style, and still expect to be taken seriously
Guts? Just damn lazy, she woke up like that! She got taken seriously because she was ugly. Just look at Miss Trunchbull in Roald Dahl's Matilda...
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Guts? Just damn lazy, she woke up like that! She got taken seriously because she was ugly. Just look at Miss Trunchbull in Roald Dahl's Matilda...
Hmm I can see a few similarities. Perhaps she was modelled on Maggy Thatcher
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Hmm I can see a few similarities. Perhaps she was modelled on Maggy Thatcher
Yes, both were ugly as sin. Come to think of it, my mum does command a bit of respect in the expected family for no apparent reason...
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, both were ugly as sin. Come to think of it, my mum does command a bit of respect in the expected family for no apparent reason...
Yeah Maggie, had an infectious nature. I think all mothers of a certain age caught some of her traits. Especially that bloody voice lol
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Yeah Maggie, had an infectious nature. I think all mothers of a certain age caught some of her traits. Especially that bloody voice lol
is she dead yet? ...or just plain crazy? :rolleyes:

didn't have a clue about politics when she was in power, too young, but from what i've heard, she was erm... not quite to my political tastes
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
is she dead yet? ...or just plain crazy? :rolleyes:

didn't have a clue about politics when she was in power, too young, but from what i've heard, she was erm... not quite to my political tastes
well, if i m not mistaken......she is very much still alive !!!
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
well, if i m not mistaken......she is very much still alive !!!
*sigh*
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*sigh*
yea....we r with u in tthis !!!
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well paint me red and call me Mr. White!
Lol!

Seriously though, there aren't enough people who vote already... some only do because they feel they should, so if everybody had to go through a rather demeaning process to find out if they were 'worthy' of a vote, there'd be very few who'd bother.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lurker)
Lol!

Seriously though, there aren't enough people who vote already... some only do because they feel they should, so if everybody had to go through a rather demeaning process to find out if they were 'worthy' of a vote, there'd be very few who'd bother.
Why not exactly? Please explain.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads