Significance of the Fenians? Britain and Ireland OCR

Watch
yunghamz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, could anyone explain the significance of the fenians in opposition to the union? i know that they were to some extent the reason for Gladstone taking up the irish question, but im finding it hard to place their significance in a wider context.

Thanks.
yunghamz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
anyone?
Irelandisnumber1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
they are actually very very very very very very significantly judged because of the extent of the wider context and its plausible financial context of the Irish filibusters.

hope that helped x
GeneralStudent95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Formed in 1858, they acted as the logical continuation of the revolutionary tradition in Ireland which included the United Irishmen and the Young Irelander's.

The movement had signifiant support, look at the figures who attended Terence Bellew MacManus' funeral in 1861 for evidence of this support.

Their actions in 1867 including the uprising, Manchester Martyrs and Clerkenwell a Bombings had a huge impact on Gladstone's mission to "pacify Ireland." In the words of Gladstone himself, "The Fenian movement brought to mind the exigencies of Ireland's problems." Also, the well respected historian JC Beckett argued, "It was the Fenian movement that disposed the British public to accept Gladstone's remedial measures." Thus, they played an important part in influencing Gladstone's actions.

They were a crucial part in the Land Movement in Ireland which was itself intricately linked to Home Rule through the New Departure. Finally, they played an important role in the development of a separate Irish identity which was adverse to the union.

That is a very brief sketch. Any questions just ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ireland 1900-1925 by Rees is quite good if you haven't looked at it already.
GeneralStudent95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by snailsareslimy)
Ireland 1900-1925 by Rees is quite good if you haven't looked at it already.
Great text, but not the best choice on Fenianism. Robert Kee writes very well on the subject and the best academic piece on Ireland is JC Beckett's 'The Making of Modern Ireland.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
snailsareslimy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GeneralStudent95)
Great text, but not the best choice on Fenianism. Robert Kee writes very well on the subject and the best academic piece on Ireland is JC Beckett's 'The Making of Modern Ireland.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I suppose OCR are asking for entirely different things to what CCEA were looking for (which is the exam board I had when doing A2 Irish history). Nevertheless, if the OP wants to read up about the period in a wider context, it's a decent enough book to have a flick through.

OP, these are probably your best bets. You could also ask your teachers for recommendations to other books?
GeneralStudent95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I suppose OCR are asking for entirely different things to what CCEA were looking for (which is the exam board I had when doing A2 Irish history). Nevertheless, if the OP wants to read up about the period in a wider context, it's a decent enough book to have a flick through.

OP, these are probably your best bets. You could also ask your teachers for recommendations to other books?
I am doing CCEA now too Did you do the Nationalism and Unionism module a few weeks ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile
snailsareslimy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GeneralStudent95)
I am doing CCEA now too Did you do the Nationalism and Unionism module a few weeks ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did it back in 2012, can't remember too much about it anymore. How are you finding it?
GeneralStudent95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did it back in 2012, can't remember too much about it anymore. How are you finding it?
Found it very enjoyable, and we are doing 1900 - 1925 now so it seems interesting too. Wouldn't have minded doing the Crown and Parliament module though; it seems really interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.51%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.77%

Watched Threads