This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm from Manchester, Manchester being a place with a bit of a crime reputation, it's true I've been mugged 8 times whilst living here, despite living in one of the 'nicer' areas. (well nice compared to hulme/rusholme/moss side/blakely/moston). I've only ever been mugged once whilst actually in the city though, you're usually pretty safe there, but this was surreal, a saturday afternoon I'm sitting down with some friends in Picadilly Gardens, and a guy came up to me and started laying into me, for really no good reason whatsoever. If you didn't know, Picadilly Gardens is one of the most busy areas of Manchester, there are 1000s of people walking around at any one time (especially on a saturday). Nobody seemed to notice, it was amazing, I didn't know how that could happen.

Anyway, I always find it amusing when I'm on a bus down Oxford Road, or just out for whatever reason, when I see uni students who obviously aren't from anywhere near, from really quite sheltered backgrounds with their friends. They really have no clue how to look after themselves. They're loud and obnoxious at the most inappropriate of times, they're completely unfamiliar with that unwritten understanding, "when in certain situations, it's best to keep your head down and stay unnoticed."

I just think it's odd that some people grow up in situations where keeping your head down is the only way to survive, and others grow up in situations where speaking up and making yourself noticed is the only way to get on. And when you mix the two, people get mugged.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah that's OK I'm from east London, I'll be right at home in Manchester.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I'm from Manchester, Manchester being a place with a bit of a crime reputation, it's true I've been mugged 8 times whilst living here, despite living in one of the 'nicer' areas. (well nice compared to hulme/rusholme/moss side/blakely/moston). I've only ever been mugged once whilst actually in the city though, you're usually pretty safe there, but this was surreal, a saturday afternoon I'm sitting down with some friends in Picadilly Gardens, and a guy came up to me and started laying into me, for really no good reason whatsoever. If you didn't know, Picadilly Gardens is one of the most busy areas of Manchester, there are 1000s of people walking around at any one time (especially on a saturday). Nobody seemed to notice, it was amazing, I didn't know how that could happen.

Anyway, I always find it amusing when I'm on a bus down Oxford Road, or just out for whatever reason, when I see uni students who obviously aren't from anywhere near, from really quite sheltered backgrounds with their friends. They really have no clue how to look after themselves. They're loud and obnoxious at the most inappropriate of times, they're completely unfamiliar with that unwritten understanding, "when in certain situations, it's best to keep your head down and stay unnoticed."

I just think it's odd that some people grow up in situations where keeping your head down is the only way to survive, and others grow up in situations where speaking up and making yourself noticed is the only way to get on. And when you mix the two, people get mugged.

hey im frm manchester too
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Ah that's OK I'm from east London, I'll be right at home in Manchester.
Yeah, but be careful, the stupidites might not realise East London is not the same as say, Surrey.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by emmz)
hey im frm manchester too
It seems most of this board is :P where do you live?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I'm from Manchester too .

Common thing in Manchester, I hate bystanders who are afraid to do anything, I mean what if the role had been reversed? I guess I dont expect to much from people, as they usually wanna keep to themselves.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, but be careful, the stupidites might not realise East London is not the same as say, Surrey.
Well if they get mugged, their fault. But it's not about putting your head down, that just makes you look like an easy target. Chin up and shut up, that's how you walk down Hackney and Bethnal Green.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well if they get mugged, their fault. But it's not about putting your head down, that just makes you look like an easy target. Chin up and shut up, that's how you walk down Hackney and Bethnal Green.
Where have you been? Did you get into OXBRIDGE?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I'm from Manchester too .

Common thing in Manchester, I hate bystanders who are afraid to do anything, I mean what if the role had been reversed? I guess I dont expect to much from people, as they usually wanna keep to themselves.
omfgz really? :P

I guess the sensible thing to would have been run, run like hell, into a store maybe. I can't blame the people for not helping me, but I think they should have at least acknowledged it happened, instead of glancing at me to see if I looked like a troublemaker, then pretend they were staring at their shoes.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Where have you been? Did you get into OXBRIDGE?
See my thread from yesterday...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
I suppose that's what I meant yes, looking at the floor does leave you looking vulnerable.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
omfgz really? :P

I guess the sensible thing to would have been run, run like hell, into a store maybe. I can't blame the people for not helping me, but I think they should have at least acknowledged it happened, instead of glancing at me to see if I looked like a troublemaker, then pretend they were staring at their shoes.
What actually happened? Was it just some asian/black/white person just coming up to you and demanding something?

The population in my opinion is pathetic with their 'save your own ass' type of mentality. I mean, I could understand it if you where walking through Longsight at 3:00 in the morning. But in a crowded area? That is totally ridiculous.

Did you hear about the lead singer from 60s band 'The Kinks', somebody tried to rob him and his girlfriend, he refused and subsequently got held at gunpoint, after the assailent ran off, he gave chase, and got shot in the foot or leg (I dont recall which). That's the way it should be.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
What actually happened? Was it just some asian/black/white person just coming up to you and demanding something?

The population in my opinion is pathetic with their 'save your own ass' type of mentality. I mean, I could understand it if you where walking through Longsight at 3:00 in the morning. But in a crowded area? That is totally ridiculous.

Did you hear about the lead singer from 60s band 'The Kinks', somebody tried to rob him and his girlfriend, he refused and subsequently got held at gunpoint, after the assailent ran off, he gave chase, and got shot in the foot or leg (I dont recall which). That's the way it should be.
Asian guy came up to me and said something like "Who the **** do you think you are looking like that?" *queue punching in face*

Ray Davis, yeah saw that in the metro, is it really that clever to chase somebody with a gun though?
-MASKALL-
Report 16 years ago

YEAH YOUR RIGHT ALL THE POSH POOFTERS HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE. THEY SHOULD ALL BE BEATEN ANYWAY LEAVE THEM TO IT I SAY.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by -maskall-)
yeah Your Right All The Posh Poofters Haven't Got A Clue. They Should All Be Beaten Anyway Leave Them To It I Say.
YEaH!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Asian guy came up to me and said something like "Who the **** do you think you are looking like that?" *queue punching in face*

Ray Davis, yeah saw that in the metro, is it really that clever to chase somebody with a gun though?
I hate people like that. Oh well, I suppose when I become a successfull lawyer, they will be the ones serving fries to my kids in McDonalds, its the only thought that keeps me going.

Ray Davis stood up for something he believed in, which I give him credit for, and was lucky to still possess his life after it. However some people aren't so lucky, such as Michael Howard, who was carjacked who was cruched by his own car today. Its disgusting.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I hate people like that. Oh well, I suppose when I become a successfull lawyer, they will be the ones serving fries to my kids in McDonalds, its the only thought that keeps me going.

Ray Davis stood up for something he believed in, which I give him credit for, and was lucky to still possess his life after it. However some people aren't so lucky, such as Michael Howard, who was carjacked who was cruched by his own car today. Its disgusting.
its hard drowing up and being responsible, i for one, have shown my maturity by cinubg back on this site.....*looks disgusted at self*
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Standard taunt to them all: Big Mac and fries please! Or my personal 'remix', "McFlurry please"...
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
its hard drowing up and being responsible, i for one, have shown my maturity by cinubg back on this site.....*looks disgusted at self*
Ahhh......welcome back.
fishpaste
Rep:
?

You ever wonder that you might be defending such a guy? Just a question.

Absolutely kudos to him, he was very brave, but I value my life too much that principles and possessions go out of the window before I risk it. He did? I never heard, I'll go check out BBC news. That's pretty awful though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads