Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did I miss something in the middle of this thread, there seems to be a gap in the discussion?

I think some people do self-harm for the attention, there was a group of 3 or 4 people in my science class at school who used to sit there and cut themselves. I honestly don't think that all of them were depressed, maybe one might've been but the rest were just doing it for the attention they got. I think that unfortunately, most of the people with a real problem do it in secret so its a lot harder to help them.

ReputationRep:
    self harm can be more than an escape from reality, it can also be an attempt to ground people into reality. eg the manics ex-guitarist who cut "4 real" into his arm with a knife.

ReputationRep:
    i think it represents that a person is going thru al ot of pain and anguish !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Did I miss something in the middle of this thread, there seems to be a gap in the discussion?

I think some people do self-harm for the attention, there was a group of 3 or 4 people in my science class at school who used to sit there and cut themselves. I honestly don't think that all of them were depressed, maybe one might've been but the rest were just doing it for the attention they got. I think that unfortunately, most of the people with a real problem do it in secret so its a lot harder to help them.
    well, u make a good point again !!!
    Voila, u r good!!!

ReputationRep:
    i've always thought of the poeple i now who do it as just attention seeking - it never seems to make them any less depressed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    The actual cutting I wouldn't consider to be a mental illness. It does, however, show signs of depression etc. Many cutters cut themselves because it "releases" the pain inside of them, and by seeing the blood this makes them feel better as in watching all of their troubles flow out of their arm.
    Agreed as a former self harmer, I did it as a form of expression, to actually physically see something that could answer why I was hurting so much inside. I was in my mid 20s before I realised what I was doing and finally stopped im in my 30s now and bear the scars of what I did. You tend to hide it from others also, its a big secret.

ReputationRep:
    An interesting topic. I have never harmed myself due to depression or self anger etc etc. Although, not long ago i came across my year 2 reports... I was stunned to see that apparently I used to stick pins through my hands during reading time? I havn't got a clue why I did it?!? I was only 5 or 6 years of age? I was in a perfectly stable family and didn't have any problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadflower1984)
    What do you think about self harm, cutting etc?
    An expression of pain or anger or merely a form of attention seeking?

i used to do it a few years ago, and i dont have an answer to why i did it, but i feel stupid for doing it my friend did it as well, i think its a stage in my life were i was down i had left school and was at college and not happy as i didn't understand anything, one point i did take an overdose on paracetamols, sooooo regret that, i cant touch the things now

ReputationRep:
    i used to do it when i was younger, this was purely depressing, nothing to do with attention because i didnt tell/show anyone. it is a mental thing. before that i had a pulling out hair disorder....it was one thing after another.

Im ok now!

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a mental thing because while it may be a way of dealing with stress and relieving tension, there are so many other less self destructive ways of releasing tension. Such as doing vigorous excercise or screaming.

ReputationRep:
    I used to do it when I was severely depressed...it didn't really make much difference on a long term scale, but right then in the moment it seemed to relieve the tension somewhat. It is intensely addictive. A friend of mine does it a lot and has ended up in hospital many times because of it. She does it because she hates herself so much, she needs to attack herself because she truely believes a worthless nothing and that is what she deserves.

I don't believe people self harm for attention as it is usually done in private and people go to great lengths to conceal it from anybody.

ReputationRep:
    i used to do it, but never told anyone so it wasnt for attention, in fact i cut my legs rather than arms to make sure no-one would see. but i wouldnt say i was depressed either! i only did it when i was really upset, it was kinda a self hatred thing, like punishing myself, and also to release tension. i really dont know why i did it i dont have any mental problems of family troubles, just an issue with not liking myself very much i guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleshampoo)
    i used to do it, but never told anyone so it wasnt for attention, in fact i cut my legs rather than arms to make sure no-one would see. but i wouldnt say i was depressed either! i only did it when i was really upset, it was kinda a self hatred thing, like punishing myself, and also to release tension. i really dont know why i did it i dont have any mental problems of family troubles, just an issue with not liking myself very much i guess...
    Disliking yourself can be put down to mental problems. That term isn't really right but you know what I mean. Depression and poor self esteem etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    Now, I can be a bit of a cynic when it comes to this:

Generally, when I see peole making NO attempt to cover up, or if they're talking about it openly in public with friends, my first assumption is that it's just for the attention/kudos among goofy goth friends.

But then I think - surely if you harm yourself for attention or because you don't get your own way, then that's some kind of mental disorder anyway. - it's a catch 22

---

Obviously there are those who have a little more genuine inner torment rather than an inability to deal with teenage angst, who I have to sympathise with, to be honest - a lot of people who are genuinely, genuinely depressed to the point of wanting to cut to escape, for example are overlooked because so many stupid teenagers have made it almost into a trend - that way, everyone gets tarred with the same brush. Then there's the "just buck up, shut up and cheer up" attitute that'll wash for some angsty teen who cut because she can't have an iPod, but it just *doesn't* for the genuine portion.

A lack of understanding, coupled with a teen cult activity [it seems] has really made self harm a much more difficult issue to voice an opinion on, let alone treat.
    :eek: its not just gothicy type people :eek:
    I understand what your saying though and i'd agree to an extent that a lot of people who boast about self harming or don't make an attempt to cover it up are possibly doing it to seek attention but there is obviously something wrong if someone feels they need to self harm in order to seek attention.

ReputationRep:
    I make no attempt to cover my scars anymore as I am no longer ashamed of what I did. If people who see my scars want to judge me because they don't understand then that is fine...they are not people I want to be around.

PS Apologies if that sounds nasty...it is not directed at anybody and is in no way meant to be mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starbuck*)
    I make no attempt to cover my scars anymore as I am no longer ashamed of what I did. If people who see my scars want to judge me because they don't understand then that is fine...they are not people I want to be around.

PS Apologies if that sounds nasty...it is not directed at anybody and is in no way meant to be mean.
    Go you! I've always hated the society of caring what random strangers think (even though I'm the worst culperate ever!)

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.