This discussion is closed.
amo17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hi everyone

:tsr:

Is it true that critical thinking can be really good and impressive when applying to university?
I wouldnt mind trying it out, but my school doesnt do it, so is it possible to do this out of school ie. pay for the exam and just teach myself at home? Has anyone on this forum done that before, and how did previous and present students taking it find the course?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated

ps. Do you have coursework at As for maths, sciences or critical thinking?
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no coursework for Maths. I only had coursework for Biology.
Icy Ghost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
no coursework for Maths. I only had coursework for Biology.
Did you have Chemistry coursework?
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No. We did practical exams towards the end of year 13 (same as Physics).
andy5788
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can do a coursework, or a supervised practical in each of the sciences.
No coursework in maths.
Joe_JBB
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No coursework in critical thinking. I'm not too sure whether it's really good and impressive or not, but to be honest, if you want to teach yourself, it's really easy. To be honest, i found it incredibly boring until the exam, when some of it was actually quite interesting .

I'm probably going to be teaching myself the A2 course, because I haven't yet found anyone else who got higher than a C at AS (I got an A! woo-woo!), so the school probably won't run it. But I'll get the teachers to help me.

But yeah, if you do it you should find it easy, but most probably quite boring.

Hope this helps,

Joe
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by amo17)
hi everyone

:tsr:

Is it true that critical thinking can be really good and impressive when applying to university?
I wouldnt mind trying it out, but my school doesnt do it, so is it possible to do this out of school ie. pay for the exam and just teach myself at home? Has anyone on this forum done that before, and how did previous and present students taking it find the course?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated

ps. Do you have coursework at As for maths, sciences or critical thinking?
Yes, you can do critical thinking if the school doesn't offer it. You would need to tell your examinations officer to enter you for the exam. This means that you will sit it in the school you are attending now. They might pay the fee for you, or you have to pay it yourself - that will depend on the school.

Go through the specification to see what you are going to learn. In addition, practice some past papers too.
amo17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
ok thanku all SO much, no maths coursework wooooohoooooo
i hope that i do do the critical thinking, i will look into asap

thanks again
Jenni_Kitten
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Critical thinking is kind of on the same level as General Studies, i.e. a lot of unis see it as a bit dodgy...
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
From what I've heard from careers staff at my school General Studies is accepted as an A level by all of two universities while Critical Thinking if you have an A is very useful for getting into the top universities because allegedly it proves that you can think for yourself. From what I've heard the AS is actually very similar to the law entrance exam papers some unis use.
anon53
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I havebn';t started AS Levels yet, so I am not the best person to comment, but at my school there are no lessons for this subject and those taking it have to teach themselves with guidance from the Head of 6th form. I don't think it is a knowledge based course - it seems to be more based on skills.
Best of luck with it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1366)
79.74%
Leave (347)
20.26%

Watched Threads