Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It totally depends on the couple. Whenever they feel ready to get engaged. Me and my fiance got engaged on our 2 year anniversary at the beginning of this year. However, some of my friends have been together for over 5 years and there is not even talks about them getting married or even just engaged. A male friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend after 6 months. Everyone is different. Some people might never get engaged.

ReputationRep:
    my mother finds it very difficult to understand the concept of two people being committed to each other without being married... she keeps dropping subtle hints at dinner like 'when you two are married...' 'you two have to make sure that you bring up my grandchildren right...' etc etc. she always refers to her friends who are in long term relationships as husband and wife regardless. We just find it amusing...

ReputationRep:
    You cant put a specific time period in it - all i know is I would never turn down a lovely ring - of course if I didnt want to get engaged with the guy id at least take the ring and run first :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Currently in a 3-year (so far) long relationship and we've been unofficially engaged from pretty much the start (a verbal commitment)...
    Same here actually!
    A friend of mine says that those who need to be engaged for longer than a month wilthout making any wedding arrangements are just insecure about getting married in the first place!
    I say I'd rather be engaged for 5 years and married for the rest of my life than be engaged for a month and then divorced 5 years later.

Anyway, I'd rather know how we (my guy and I!) handle all the major stuff together first.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i've never understood how people can be engaged at 16 or after a few months of knowing each other. in my opinion you just can't know somebody that well in a few months. and as for being engaged young, it's like throwing your life away. you are making such a massive commitment when you haven't even grown into the person you will become. over the next few years between 16-21 people change massivly, and what you want could easily change. I think if you last a few years you kow you have something good and you know better of how you feel. Not to mention experieince. If you are 16, and you're with for example an older guy with a bit more experieince, but they are your only partner, can you honestly swear you will never wonder, 5, or 10 years down the line what it'd be like to be with someone else?
    Even if you met someone at 30+ you still have a possible 30 years or more with them. At a younger age you haven't really experienced life and for me i want that oppurtunity before i make the decsion to spend the rest of my life with someone.

Had i satyed with my ex, we could have been engaged (well he had plans to ask me...) but when i though about it i was 17! I didn't want to assign th rest of my life to one person, when i hadn't even been through 6th form! I loved him, but thats not something i could have done (bearing in mind he was 21 so there was an age gap).

some people feel ready to and good luck to them, but early engagements are not for me

ReputationRep:
    I speak from experieince when i say that as much as you may believe now that you will be together forever...fate has a habit of screwing things up.

I've made the mistake of planning my future once, now i'm happier to take each day as it come

ReputationRep:
    Well, in reply to the above post (Messedup):

I got engaged at the age of 19 (I'm nearly 22 now) and the whole point of the engagement was that we made a cmmittment to get married when we did know each other well enought. The engagement is more like the infamous pre-engagement... does that make sense?

Anyway, I had a child with this man. Ain't no committment bigger than that in my/our eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    Same here actually!
    A friend of mine says that those who need to be engaged for longer than a month wilthout making any wedding arrangements are just insecure about getting married in the first place!
    I say I'd rather be engaged for 5 years and married for the rest of my life than be engaged for a month and then divorced 5 years later.

Anyway, I'd rather know how we (my guy and I!) handle all the major stuff together first.
    Why bother getting engaged until you are in a position to get married? The only reason I see is to sure-up a rickety relationship by giving the girl a rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    Well, in reply to the above post (Messedup):

I got engaged at the age of 19 (I'm nearly 22 now) and the whole point of the engagement was that we made a cmmittment to get married when we did know each other well enought. The engagement is more like the infamous pre-engagement... does that make sense?

Anyway, I had a child with this man. Ain't no committment bigger than that in my/our eyes.
    yeah i think having a kid with someone is as big as it gets, your biologically tied to that person forever whether you like it or not, unlike marriage where you can get divorced. had i been older (like 20) when my ex was 21 i might have considered engagement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    yeah i think having a kid with someone is as big as it gets, your biologically tied to that person forever whether you like it or not, unlike marriage where you can get divorced. had i been older (like 20) when my ex was 21 i might have considered engagement
    Tell that to the ever increasing group of single parents in this country. My gf has had a child by another man (a long time before we were together), he made her decision to end the relationship more difficult, but it didn't make it impossible. If the child is conceived accidentally then there is no real commitment that I can see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Why bother getting engaged until you are in a position to get married? The only reason I see is to sure-up a rickety relationship by giving the girl a rock.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking!

ReputationRep:
    I'm just 18 and although I'm not engaged to my boyfriend (also 18) yet, we have talked about it a lot and decided that we will probly get engaged in this next year (our first at uni). i know that people say that 19 is young to be engaged/married, but we have been so close for the entire time that we have known each other and we are best friends, i trust him completely with everything and he is just so perfect and he feels the exact same way about me. we're both christians so agree on most moral/ethical things which helps a lot and we've never had an argument in the time that we've known each other (only comical bickering). personally i just cant see anything coming between us. ive had quite a lot of boyfriends before him and he's had girlfriends before me and this has been completely different for both of us.
    i know we could change but i cant see us changing so drastically that we don't fit anymore. at the moment its like we're two halves of each other. so i think its okay for us to get engaged even tho we are young.
    (just randomly, his parents got married at 20 and are still together now, and very happy).

ReputationRep:
    loads of people seem to get engaged and then break up these days. i think you should only get engaged when you actually intend to start planning a wedding. people who are serial engagers really piss me off!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.