Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A2 Geography - Global Issues F763 Monday 21 June PM watch

ReputationRep:
    See if there are many people doing this exam and how many replies we get.

I doubt there'll be that many, but we'll see.

What topics are people doing?

We're doing Population & Resources, Earth Hazards and Climatic Hazards.

I'm least looking forward to the Climatic Hazards section, but I'm not planning on doing an essay on that anyway.

How's revision going? I'm finding the most revision of anything is required for Geography as there's so much case study material to learn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy892)
    Topic's my class are doing are; Earth Hazards, Ecosystems Under Threat, Population & Resources.
    Revision hasn't started properly yet still writing up case studies in simple form, but will start proper reading of them as of tomorrow, there is sooooo many though!
    Oh and going to start looking over management techniques of earth hazards, and management strategies of the others considering that seems to be the trend popping up in specimen and the jan exam
    Not looking forward to 2hrs 30mins of virtually essay writing mind! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thy-Lanky-One)
    Topic's my class are doing are; Earth Hazards, Ecosystems Under Threat, Population & Resources.
    Revision hasn't started properly yet still writing up case studies in simple form, but will start proper reading of them as of tomorrow, there is sooooo many though!
    Oh and going to start looking over management techniques of earth hazards, and management strategies of the others considering that seems to be the trend popping up in specimen and the jan exam
    Not looking forward to 2hrs 30mins of virtually essay writing mind! :o:
    Yep exactly, it does seem like a very long time to be essay writing. How much time do you think you'll spend on each of the sections? We've been advised to spend 20 minutes on each question of section A, then 45 minutes on each essay in section B. I'm not sure though.

But yeah there are so many case studies, it really is unbelievable. I think I've sorted most of them now, just need to make sure I know them all completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy892)
    Yep exactly, it does seem like a very long time to be essay writing. How much time do you think you'll spend on each of the sections? We've been advised to spend 20 minutes on each question of section A, then 45 minutes on each essay in section B. I'm not sure though.

But yeah there are so many case studies, it really is unbelievable. I think I've sorted most of them now, just need to make sure I know them all completely.
    Yeah i think im going to be doing the 20,20,20,45,45 time wise, but yeah going to finish off writing up most of case studies in note forms today then try and start learning them rest of week, going to be a right pain memorising them all :o:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think im going to be doing the 20,20,20,45,45 time wise, but yeah going to finish off writing up most of case studies in note forms today then try and start learning them rest of week, going to be a right pain memorising them all :o:
    Yeah it is a pain learning them all.

I have so many to learn - around 25-30 in total, each in quite a bit of detail. At least it will mean my writing is good as a result.
    I'm completely happy with the actual content of the module, just need to completely firm up these case studies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this exam too, topics are Earth Hazards, Climatic Hazards and Development and Inequalities.
    In one of my revision books, it says that in section A the wording will always be 'Outline the issue indicated and suggest appropriate management,' although obviously the source materials will change.

Because of this, this is how i'm going about my revision;

Instead of learning all the theory, how hurricanes form etc (I've learnt it but not in great detail), i've focused my revision more on the management techniques. So looking at Hurricane shelters, levees and raised embankments in case of storm surges etc. Although you may need some theory when outlining the hazard, i've tended to learn a lot more management of each issue, as this will get you more of the marks.

There's a fantastic revision book on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-A2-Geogr...6801029&sr=8-2.
    But as the exam is not too long away, i doubt you'll have time to buy it :/.

As for section B, all you can do really is learn as many case studies as possible. In the revision guide above, there are model answers for every topic, both section A and B which is fantastic. The model answers that receive the top marks are ones with a clearly defined introduction, effective use of case studies, use of synopticity, evaluative in style, PARAGRAPHS and a fitting conclusion that links back to the question.

Hope i've been of help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilySB)
    I'm doing this exam too, topics are Earth Hazards, Climatic Hazards and Development and Inequalities.
    In one of my revision books, it says that in section A the wording will always be 'Outline the issue indicated and suggest appropriate management,' although obviously the source materials will change.

Because of this, this is how i'm going about my revision;

Instead of learning all the theory, how hurricanes form etc (I've learnt it but not in great detail), i've focused my revision more on the management techniques. So looking at Hurricane shelters, levees and raised embankments in case of storm surges etc. Although you may need some theory when outlining the hazard, i've tended to learn a lot more management of each issue, as this will get you more of the marks.

There's a fantastic revision book on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-A2-Geogr...6801029&sr=8-2.
    But as the exam is not too long away, i doubt you'll have time to buy it :/.

As for section B, all you can do really is learn as many case studies as possible. In the revision guide above, there are model answers for every topic, both section A and B which is fantastic. The model answers that receive the top marks are ones with a clearly defined introduction, effective use of case studies, use of synopticity, evaluative in style, PARAGRAPHS and a fitting conclusion that links back to the question.

Hope i've been of help
    Cheers for the info , does seem a bit too late to order the book but i do have this one Here but it doesn't really have any model answers...is there any chance you could scan in model answers for any of earth hazards, ecosystems, population + resources?

And with the only mainly learning management techniques they are really important, but i think it is good to know the generic causes and management of things as opposed to just knowing whats in your case studies because the chances are that your case studies wont have ALL causes and managements.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the info , does seem a bit too late to order the book but i do have this one Here but it doesn't really have any model answers...is there any chance you could scan in model answers for any of earth hazards, ecosystems, population + resources?

And with the only mainly learning management techniques they are really important, but i think it is good to know the generic causes and management of things as opposed to just knowing whats in your case studies because the chances are that your case studies wont have ALL causes and managements.
    I also agree with this.

But yeah I do agree that it is necessary to have some clear management techniques for every hazard.

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to use any case studies for the 10-mark questions in section A, and also do I have to include evaluation for my management strategies?

by the way, how many management strategies should I put down and how long should my answer be ?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh just thinking about this exam makes me want to kill myself!

We're doing Earth Hazards, Climatic Hazards and Population and Resources... doomed is the word that springs to mind....

How is the best way to introduce some synopticity into our answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Do I have to use any case studies for the 10-mark questions in section A, and also do I have to include evaluation for my management strategies?

by the way, how many management strategies should I put down and how long should my answer be ?
    Not sure about case study use in section A. Think it's necessary to maybe refer to some off-the-cuff examples. But what you must NOT do is to simply identify the issue from the resource and then go on to talk about a completely different event.

Not sure about length of answer. Maybe 1 side of A4, a little more. Depends upon size of handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisey)
    Ahhh just thinking about this exam makes me want to kill myself!

We're doing Earth Hazards, Climatic Hazards and Population and Resources... doomed is the word that springs to mind....

How is the best way to introduce some synopticity into our answers?
    Same topics as me.

I think being synoptic simply means going off on little tangents at each stage in your answer. I think it's difficult to do, but I sort of do it subconciously now I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Earth Hazards, Ecosystems and Population and Resources.
    We've also been told 20 mins for section A answers, 45 for each essay. I think I'll have a look at section B first and jot down an essay plan/facts and figures that will relate to the question, before doing section A.

I counted about 27 case studies in total! But I'm focusing in on the ones that I think are most likely to turn up - and revising those in detail. How important do you think figures are in the essays? I'm trying to memorise as many as possible because I find it easier to evaluate with some figures to analyse.

Not looking forward to the 2.5h of essays though! Starting off with blank pages and having at least 8 to write is quite daunting. Just wondering - what kind of length is best for the essays? 2.5 pages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trickeyja)
    I'm doing Earth Hazards, Ecosystems and Population and Resources.
    We've also been told 20 mins for section A answers, 45 for each essay. I think I'll have a look at section B first and jot down an essay plan/facts and figures that will relate to the question, before doing section A.
    I counted about 27 case studies in total! But I'm focusing in on the ones that I think are most likely to turn up - and revising those in detail. How important do you think figures are in the essays? I'm trying to memorise as many as possible because I find it easier to evaluate with some figures to analyse.

Not looking forward to the 2.5h of essays though! Starting off with blank pages and having at least 8 to write is quite daunting. Just wondering - what kind of length is best for the essays? 2.5 pages?
    Yes I completely agree - I will also do this. Helps to re-assure yourself that the essays are doable. Then go back to section A.
    I hope they give us enough space to plan for the essays.

2.5 hours of essay writing does seem like a lot! I think 2.5 pages is sufficient for the essays and about 1 side for the section A. Depends on your size of handwriting though I suppose.

I was reading one of the revision guides that said that facts and figures aren't actually that important in this module, it's more about being able to analyse / evaluate. But, yes, as you say, they are a means of doing so.

Think I'm ready for this exam now. Need to go over case studies again mind. I counted and I have learnt 45, some in quite some detail. Never had to learn that many before for a geography exam. It makes the AS exams seem like a piece of cake haha.

ReputationRep:
    How would you guys answer an essay question like; "Why does the rate of population growth change over space and time?"

Can we even get questions like this :erm:?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leila_)
    How would you guys answer an essay question like; "Why does the rate of population growth change over space and time?"

Can we even get questions like this :erm:?
    It does seem quite general but I guess it's possible?!

You could talk about LEDC/MEDC differences, changes in birth rate and death rate with medical/technological breakthroughs e.g. contraception and vaccines etc... emancipation of women, impact of religion, political factors e.g. China one-child polcy

I reckon there's a fair bit we could say for this question but in a way that is what makes it difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisey)
    It does seem quite general but I guess it's possible?!

You could talk about LEDC/MEDC differences, changes in birth rate and death rate with medical/technological breakthroughs e.g. contraception and vaccines etc... emancipation of women, impact of religion, political factors e.g. China one-child polcy

I reckon there's a fair bit we could say for this question but in a way that is what makes it difficult!
    Spot on! It's good to mention other small snippets of information outside of the context, shows synopticity and an extra awareness of the topic in hand!

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think i'll be able to get away with saying something like country 'x' had alot more earthquake-related fatalities than country 'y', without actually mentioning some figures??? This links back to what andy said before.

oh yeah, and I also do earth hazards, climatic hazards and population + resource

I think i'm alright on case studies for earth and climatic hazards because I'm very worried about population + resource. The case studies in population and resource seems less structured if you know what I mean. With earth and climatic hazards, the case studies are clearly defined into separate natural events (e.g. earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, mass movement) within their general groups of earth or climatic hazards. But with Population and resource, the content seems a bit random. I mean my case studies are pretty loose and I feel they aren't really connected.

I fear that I would get a question and it would only allow me to use 1 or 2 case studies because my others would be irrelevant. I've got two OCR endorsed textbook but I find them a bit light on content for the 'population + resource' chapter. For example, apart from mentioning a few countries in a few paragraghs, they give you no in depth case studies about the issues and managements of population whatsoever. They just have alot of theory. I can't base my entire 30 mark essay just on china's one child policy LOL.

But I don't know, maybe I'm just a bit light on case studies for this chapter. By the way, what case studies are you guys using for population and resource and what sort of sub-topics do you organise them into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Do you guys think i'll be able to get away with saying something like country 'x' had alot more earthquake-related fatalities than country 'y', without actually mentioning some figures??? This links back to what andy said before.

oh yeah, and I also do earth hazards, climatic hazards and population + resource

I think i'm alright on case studies for earth and climatic hazards because I'm very worried about population + resource. The case studies in population and resource seems less structured if you know what I mean. With earth and climatic hazards, the case studies are clearly defined into separate natural events (e.g. earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, mass movement) within their general groups of earth or climatic hazards. But with Population and resource, the content seems a bit random. I mean my case studies are pretty loose and I feel they aren't really connected.

I fear that I would get a question and it would only allow me to use 1 or 2 case studies because my others would be irrelevant. I've got two OCR endorsed textbook but I find them a bit light on content for the 'population + resource' chapter. For example, apart from mentioning a few countries in a few paragraghs, they give you no in depth case studies about the issues and managements of population whatsoever. They just have alot of theory. I can't base my entire 30 mark essay just on china's one child policy LOL.

But I don't know, maybe I'm just a bit light on case studies for this chapter. By the way, what case studies are you guys using for population and resource and what sort of sub-topics do you organise them into?
    I know what you mean about the population & resources, I think it's one of the harder sections. For case studies I am doing a broad overview of resource use, population figures and reasons for UK, Japan, USA, China, Congo and Nigeria. For Nigeria we have studied Niger Delta... and for China about how they are investing in African countries for resources. For UK: North Sea Oil and Gas, Devon & Cornwall Tin Mining and Sustainable Fishing in detail. For USA, Alaskan oil, exploration in tundra ecosystem.

I did a case study on Philippines for population change, as well as France Code de la Famille (pro-natalist policy), China's one-child policy (of course!) and immigration policy of UK... and some LEDC vs MEDC comparisons to show differences with economic development.

About the figures in the Earth Hazards ones - I'm trying to learn as many figures as possible to make comparisons easier... but I'm not sure how much they are necessary. Probably useful to have an idea of the death toll/damage for each hazard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trickeyja)
    I know what you mean about the population & resources, I think it's one of the harder sections. For case studies I am doing a broad overview of resource use, population figures and reasons for UK, Japan, USA, China, Congo and Nigeria. For Nigeria we have studied Niger Delta... and for China about how they are investing in African countries for resources. For UK: North Sea Oil and Gas, Devon & Cornwall Tin Mining and Sustainable Fishing in detail. For USA, Alaskan oil, exploration in tundra ecosystem.

I did a case study on Philippines for population change, as well as France Code de la Famille (pro-natalist policy), China's one-child policy (of course!) and immigration policy of UK... and some LEDC vs MEDC comparisons to show differences with economic development.

About the figures in the Earth Hazards ones - I'm trying to learn as many figures as possible to make comparisons easier... but I'm not sure how much they are necessary. Probably useful to have an idea of the death toll/damage for each hazard.
    one of my OCR textbook had a page which briefly mentions about china's investment in african countries for resources. It came along with 3 case studies relating to resource demands in 3 countries (china, Japan and Congo). I feel they lack detail and I'm just not sure what kind of 30-mark question would allow me to use those case studies in any great lengths.

For the case study that you mention about the Niger Delta, is it about how oil companies have exploited the region and caused mass environmental degradation? because I think I have that too. And also, are you using the CFP for your fishing sustainability case study?

I feel like theres alot I can talk about the resource of Oil, but I don't know much in the way of specifics.........

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.