The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Geography - Global Issues F763 Monday 21 June PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
W.H.T
its a possibility they may come up. I'll give you an example:

''Physical causes of Earth hazards are more significant than human causes'' To what extent do you agree with this statement?

for that question you would probably have to include a fair bit about how those hazards are naturally formed.

Oh dear. I forgot about that question, damn.
I really hope it doesn't come up. Thank you!!
Reply 41
aj-star
i don't understand- you all seem to have only done 3 units each?
was it just my school who taught us all 6 units?
oh dear, this makes me scared that i don't know all 6 as well as all you lot know 3 really well!
i got an A last year, and desperately need an A this year too :/

how did your school managed to do that?

My class have only just about completed 3 units in a fair amount of detaiil but I still feel a bit light on case studies.

But you would have the advantage of being able to pick and choose the best possible question to answer. You only have to do one environment issues question and one economic issues question. So for each of them, you would have a choice of 6. You're bound to find at least 1 do-able question out of them.
Reply 42
aj-star
i don't understand- you all seem to have only done 3 units each?
was it just my school who taught us all 6 units?
oh dear, this makes me scared that i don't know all 6 as well as all you lot know 3 really well!
i got an A last year, and desperately need an A this year too :/

Just a quick aside from Geography revision - You are HOT.

My school taught us 4, but we all chose to abandon ecosystems :biggrin:

You'll be fine, as long as you know case studies and some good relevant outside information that shows understanding beyond the book than you're fine!
Reply 43
does anyone know any advantages of the common fisheries policy?
Reply 44
W.H.T
Hey, is it just me or does anyone else think that the words 'appropriate management' in those 10-mark questions are a potential banana skin for a slip-up.

I mean, if they give you an LEDC scenario, then you're restricted from mentioning any expensive management apparoaches?

the word 'appropriate' is very subjective isn't it?
you can argue that expensive projects are appropriate for an LEDC because they would be a long term solution.

You could evaluate the effectiveness/appropriateness of the strategy, so you could suggest for example a flood holding dam to prevent flooding in an LEDC but then say there may not be enough money/resources to justify building it so therefore a different method e.g. basic levees built up out of earth, or simply relocating people to a less vulnerable area might be more appropriate.
Reply 45
Right, I won't be on here anymore tonight, or indeed tomorrow as I have a Geology exam in the morning.

Getting a little bit nervous for the exam now...

Hope the questions you want come up, although someone's bound to be unhappy. For example I would love a question to come up comparing the physical and human causes of earth hazards, but I noticed someone else wouldn't. Like the fact there is more choice for this exam than any other previous Geography one though.

Good luck all :biggrin:
Reply 46
W.H.T
does anyone know any advantages of the common fisheries policy?

I found this difficult, other than set-quotas/regulations from the TAC causing mass bycatches, meaning 25% of caught fish are bycatch, contributing to the 25m tonnes of wasted bycatch per annum globally.

That and most scientists still claim financial gain is overpowering true sustainable management, and that the current limits aren't enough. In 2005, the CFP 'actual catch' was still over 40,000 tonnes more than that of marine scientists advice.

Need more!
Reply 47
Can someone tell me briefly what they'd actually put for a comparison of 'physical and human causes of earth hazards'?
Reply 48
Leila_
Can someone tell me briefly what they'd actually put for a comparison of 'physical and human causes of earth hazards'?

well in the mark scheme, it said something very unhelpful like ''compare their relative importance''.
Reply 49
W.H.T
well in the mark scheme, it said something very unhelpful like ''compare their relative importance''.

Yeah, but contenet wise :eyeball:

I just read what i replied to you with before :facepalm: i read it as disadvantages, woops. Here are some actual advantages :embarrassed:;

-Total allowable catches; allows fish to regenerate – small fish to reach maturity
-CFP sets this limit each year, the it is divided among member states to give the national quota for each country
-Number of small fish caught is also introduced by the enforcement of minimum mesh sizes, special log books for regarding catches and landings, the closure of certain areas to protect stocks, and the banning of certain type so fishing deemed unsustainable
-Recovery plans for stocks below the safe biological limit
-Managing the introduction of new vessels + scrapping of old vessels as to reduce the overall capacity of the EU fleet
-Resultantly ‘Actual catch’ has dropped by over 4 times since 1995
Reply 50
Leila_
Yeah, but contenet wise :eyeball:

I just read what i replied to you with before :facepalm: i read it as disadvantages, woops. Here are some actual advantages :embarrassed:;

-Total allowable catches; allows fish to regenerate – small fish to reach maturity
-CFP sets this limit each year, the it is divided among member states to give the national quota for each country
-Number of small fish caught is also introduced by the enforcement of minimum mesh sizes, special log books for regarding catches and landings, the closure of certain areas to protect stocks, and the banning of certain type so fishing deemed unsustainable
-Recovery plans for stocks below the safe biological limit
-Managing the introduction of new vessels + scrapping of old vessels as to reduce the overall capacity of the EU fleet
-Resultantly ‘Actual catch’ has dropped by over 4 times since 1995

the mark scheme didn't have much. It briefly said that candidates should mention human causes such as urbanisation, intensive farming practises, efficient water drainage systems from farms (causing faster surface run-off) etc. It virtually had nothing on physical causes, but I assume for that you would talk about heavy rainfall, the natural processes of tectonic plates etc. and anaylse their relative importance which I have no idea how to do. I mean, listing the causes is relatively simple but to give reasons as to why some of them are more significant is just difficult.

thanls for the advantages of CFP, I just have one small query, what do you mean by 'actual catch'?
Reply 51
W.H.T
the mark scheme didn't have much. It briefly said that candidates should mention human causes such as urbanisation, intensive farming practises, efficient water drainage systems from farms (causing faster surface run-off) etc. It virtually had nothing on physical causes, but I assume for that you would talk about heavy rainfall, the natural processes of tectonic plates etc. and anaylse their relative importance which I have no idea how to do. I mean, listing the causes is relatively simple but to give reasons as to why some of them are more significant is just difficult.

thanls for the advantages of CFP, I just have one small query, what do you mean by 'actual catch'?

Simply the amount of fish caught, it's just the terminology the book i have uses :p:

Oh, and thanks :smile:
Reply 52
well good luck to all, I'm going to head off to revise and maybe end up falling asleep in the process of doing so.
Reply 53
So what questions do people think will come up tomorrow. I want a really nice population and resource question and globalisation question for long!
Reply 54
Not sure, any but the ones that came up in January i guess? If some good questions come up i know i can do pretty well, but if some nasty ones do.. i think i might screw up :erm:

I only need a C to get an A overall as well :|
Reply 55
Leila_
Not sure, any but the ones that came up in January i guess? If some good questions come up i know i can do pretty well, but if some nasty ones do.. i think i might screw up :erm:

I only need a C to get an A overall as well :|

Wow, thats good! ou must've done really well at AS, I think I'm averaging a very low A or high B at AS so need 80% or higher!

What about Unit 4, what do you think you'll get in that
Reply 56
hamzab
Wow, thats good! ou must've done really well at AS, I think I'm averaging a very low A or high B at AS so need 80% or higher!

What about Unit 4, what do you think you'll get in that

I did okay (i do need a high C though. 66%).. uh, what's unit 4 :p: ? Geographical skills paper?

Good luck, i hope you get it :smile:
Reply 57
Leila_
I did okay.. uh, what's unit 4 :p: ? Geographical skills paper?

Yeah, real bitch of a paper I dont know how to revise for it! Do you?

Im going to need 83% in Unit 3 and 4 for an A lol! Hopefully I can get90% in this so can get around 80% in Unit 4 for an A.

Also, where and what you studying at Uni?
Reply 58
hamzab
Yeah, real bitch of a paper I dont know how to revise for it! Do you?

Im going to need 83% in Unit 3 and 4 for an A lol! Hopefully I can get90% in this so can get around 80% in Unit 4 for an A.

Also, where and what you studying at Uni?

Aww, i already did it in January :cool:

I got a high B in it :rolleyes: It's pretty easy compared to the exam we're doing tomorrow! Nearly everyone in my class (even the ones who usually get poor grades) got good grades in it, i think you should be okay :h:

I'm planning (grades permitting) to go to York to do Politics, yourself?
Reply 59
Leila_
Aww, i already did it in January :cool:

I got a high B in it :rolleyes: It's pretty easy compared to the exam we're doing tomorrow! Nearly everyone in my class (even the ones who usually get poor grades) got good grades in it, i think you should be okay :h:

I'm planning (grades permitting) to go to York to do Politics, yourself?

SOAS for Econ.

How did you revise for it? I haven't a clue, we did a piece of crappy coursework in class. That's it lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending