felt_monkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
It's getting ever closer. I think this is the exam I'm most dreading. So what has everyone chosen as their piece of French media/French town? I'm doing A la Folie :love:. Who's doing the discursive essay and who's doing the creative writing? If anyone's got any suggestions for practice essay questions they're very welcome to put them up :p:. I've got a mind blank right now.
felt_monkey
Rep:
?
No one at all? :emo:
emeleh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doing geographical area - Marseille- for the research based essay, not finding it too bad just a lot to remember! but once you've got it remembered its easy marks (well according to my teacher :P)
Discursive all the way for the other part - so much easier!

Anyone got any tips for the translation? I know its only a small bit but it's easily my weakest area!
felt_monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by emeleh)
Doing geographical area - Marseille- for the research based essay, not finding it too bad just a lot to remember! but once you've got it remembered its easy marks (well according to my teacher :P)
Discursive all the way for the other part - so much easier!

Anyone got any tips for the translation? I know its only a small bit but it's easily my weakest area!
There is someone else! :party: How are you revising?

I'm going to trip up on the translation. I want to know why there's an exact markscheme, because I thought the point of translation between languages is that there are different ways of saying things. Like I'd say 'although' and 'even though' mean the same thing, but my teacher wouldn't accept it...
emeleh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes totally agree on the translation front! it has to be so exact it's just silly. revision wise I'm learning enough quotes so I have at least one for each area of RBE, then going over grammar and vocab as well as the topic areas I've already looked at for discursive as I have so many practice essays I'm hoping a similar one will cone up in the exam
you?
chux
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing literature for the RBE - l'étranger by Albert Camus - and the discursive essay. I reckon you'd have to be an actual genius to do the creative; it looks so hard! What tense do you write it in, passé simple?

At school we've done practice essays on: money, the death penalty, drugs, abortion, contraception vending machine things, the environment, the space race... stuff like that. To revise I've just gone through the textbook and made lists of vocab in all of the topics to learn. That and practising grammar - www.languagesonline.org.uk is an awesome resource.

yes totally agree on the translation front! it has to be so exact it's just silly. revision wise I'm learning enough quotes so I have at least one for each area of RBE, then going over grammar and vocab as well as the topic areas I've already looked at for discursive as I have so many practice essays I'm hoping a similar one will cone up in the exam
you?
For the translation, I think the easiest way to tackle it is to identify what they're looking for in each section. E.g., are they testing your ability to use the subjunctive/avoid the passive/conjugate the pluperfect etc. If you look at it like that then it's easier to be very focused on what you're doing and not miss any easy marks. I also wouldn't worry too much about getting the wrong word, because our teacher reckons they're going to be fairly flexible with that kind of thing.
felt_monkey
Rep:
?
you?
Sounds like a plan! I'm running around like a headless chicken tbh. I don't know what to do - I might rewatch the film, but I've seen it so many times now it's starting to get on my nerves :p:. I don't know what they could ask that won't be the vague 'what is the main character like/what are the techniques used'. I'm most worried about this exam :sigh:
fabulousmoolah
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chux)
I'm doing literature for the RBE - l'étranger by Albert Camus
I'm doing that too - can I ask are you referring to any sources besides the novel itself in your essays, I mean, I've read around the context and some critical stuff but I'm not sure if/how I can get it in?
emeleh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by felt_monkey)
Sounds like a plan! I'm running around like a headless chicken tbh.

I'm most worried about this exam :sigh:

Same! This is the one I'm most scared for, and sadly my exam I need to do the best in! I also keep going to revise but losing motivation because I don't know where to start revision wise.... going a bit downhill really!

Watching the film again is a good idea though
chux
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fabulousmoolah)
I'm doing that too - can I ask are you referring to any sources besides the novel itself in your essays, I mean, I've read around the context and some critical stuff but I'm not sure if/how I can get it in?
I haven't learnt any critical opinions yet, but I guess I'll try to memorise a couple beforehand and then whack them in if it's relevant. I just don't understand how we're supposed to write about such a philosophical book in 270 words in a foreign language! I would find this book hard to write about in English, but in French it's a total nightmare.
Have you learnt quotes?

Also, the edexcel Italian exam's literature question was on theme, so I think we can be pretty sure that we're not going to get that on the French.
emeleh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anyone know if in the exam if the research essay title will be in english or french? All my practice essays have had english titles, and although I reckon I'd be alright understanding it in French, just curious as to which it would be?
OllieCT
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am taking this as well. Definitely doing the discursive essay, I'm just hoping one of the essay questions offered is vaguely interesting and the topic is easy to write about, as at times during the year when we've been set essays for homework, the topic hasn't exactly been very exciting and I've often been stuck for ideas to write.

For the research based essay, I'm studying the rise of the Front National under the modern society category, although with this exam you've just got to hope a question comes up which relates to your topic. Bring back coursework instead of these flawed exams I say!

I just don't know where to start for revision, it's very hard to find anything that really relates to my topic, especially in French. If anyone has found any decent translation exercises or discursive essay titles, could they link us to them in here please, at least that'll get me started!
emeleh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by OllieCT)
If anyone has found any decent translation exercises or discursive essay titles, could they link us to them in here please, at least that'll get me started!
http://www.frenchteacher.net/alevel/alevelindex.htm

It's not directly linked to our exam but there's some fairly good translation exercises on here that have pointers for things to look out for , e.g. tricky tenses to notice and stuff
OllieCT
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thank you!

As I've been revising Spanish today and we're on the same exam board for both, I found this for past papers;

https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/

I don't know if it'll be the same for French, but translation exercises will most likely be under Reading & Writing papers, and discursive essay titles under Writing in Registers papers. Hope it helps!
tillytots
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We've covered all three areas in class ( bretagne, amelie and AIDS, Feminism etc for social topics) I think I'm either going for bretagne or social topic, anyone have any good stats websites for either? Our notes are a sham we never even took any. It's going to be so hard to remember every detail and source!
felt_monkey
Rep:
?
Does anyone know if in the exam if the research essay title will be in english or french? All my practice essays have had english titles, and although I reckon I'd be alright understanding it in French, just curious as to which it would be?
Looking at the specimen paper, it'll be in French.

Thanks to everyone who's posted useful links! Am I really the only one doing a film? :o:
Miss_Chanel
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chux)
I'm doing literature for the RBE - l'étranger by Albert Camus - and the discursive essay.
I was just about to ask what things your class were doing to prepare for L'étranger and then I realised it's you, Claire! (It's Sam here, by the way!)
I came on here to see if there's anything we might have missed to do with the essay or any other tips. Found anything useful?
bite_of_cake
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing Molière's L'Avare for the RBE and most probably the discursive essay...

This is the exam I'm dreading the most, which is silly because I'll be taking it at uni...Only, I fell down really hard in the mock and am terrified I'll do the same on Thursday

Most worried about the discursive, because I tend to start rambling and go right off track. I know it's really important to have structure - do you guys usually balance your arguments or come down firmly on one side?
felt_monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by bite_of_cake)
I know it's really important to have structure - do you guys usually balance your arguments or come down firmly on one side?
I try to make it as balanced as possible, then maybe give my opinion in the conclusion. I try to have 2 pros and 2 cons, but of course it doesn't always work...
JCSHARK
Report 9 years ago
Im doing Germinal-Zola, RSB should be good then haha. Doing the creative essay as i cant actually do discursive just dont get it at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads