I'm not sure. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Omega
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I have to do GCSE this year at college but I don't which once would be most useful, I've got a choice of Accounting, biology, English, French, german, Italian, Law, Maths, Psychology, sociogy, spainish.

My GCSE- 3c 4d 3e
Lana
Report 13 years ago
English and maths.....
WantA*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
English, Mathematics and Biology if you can.
Doom_and_Gloom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by WantA*)
English, Mathematics and Biology if you can.
:dito: They are the basics when it comes to GCSE's. Most people exspect you to have at least Math, an English and a Science so if you can do those three it would be ideal .
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
English, Maths and preferably a Modern Language.
Doom_and_Gloom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pixelated)
a Modern Language.
Well yes a choice of French, german or Italian that Omega has put would be good. However I think that Math, an English and Biology would be best if they can do that. If they can do that and a language then that would be brilliant but I doubt they will be able to.
Pixelated
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Doom_and_Gloom)
Well yes a choice of French, german or Italian that Omega has put would be good. However I think that Math, an English and Biology would be best if they can do that. If they can do that and a language then that would be brilliant but I doubt they will be able to.
Why Biology instead of a Modern Language? I'd say a M. Language would be much more useful; both in academics and extra-curricular.

P.S. He could also do Spanish.
Doom_and_Gloom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why Biology instead of a Modern Language? I'd say a M. Language would be much more useful; both in academics and extra-curricular.

P.S. He could also do Spanish.
Well most perspective employers exspect their employee to have GCSE's in Math, a Science and English. They do not expect them to have a language for definate that is a bonus. I am asuming that Omega does not have the stated GCSE's as they are choices. So it would be better for Omega to take the standard GCSE's isn't it.
Omega
There was no choice to do Language at my school.
Pixelated
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well most prspective employers exspect their employee to have GCSE's in Math, a Science and English.
Maths and English, yes - but not Science.
They do not expect them to have a language for definate that is a bonus.
A Language looks very impressive; whilst Biology standalone (without any other Scientific knowledge) doesn't...
Picture the scene: You are looking to employ staff who can carry out PA work; you have the choice of hiring someone who can speak another Language and also someone who has some biological knowledge - (for argument's sake let's assume both applicants are equal in every other sense). Who would you pick? Be honest. I think the Language applicant would quite comfortably take the post.
I am asuming that Omega does not have the stated GCSE's as they are choices. So it would be better for Omega to take the standard GCSE's isn't it.
Possibly; but a Language is much more useful and would probably be more helpful if he wanted to apply to University. In fact, no, I can't really think of any laudable reasons why he should pick Biology over a Language other than the fact of personal enjoyment.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How many GCSEs do you need to pick? I'm guessing 2 because if you already have 3 Cs, you only need 2 more to do A-levels. What are your Cs in? You definitely need English and maths if you don't have Cs in them already. Otherwise, the languages and biology are the most useful.
anon53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As has already been said by the previous poster, English and Maths are essential for most University courses or employment if that's the route you're looking to take. Science GCSE is a core subject, so that would be useful. Having said that, it is becoming increasingly useful to have a GCSE in a foreign Language now that the Government has decided to no longer make it compuldsary for students to study Languages after the age of 14.

I would probably go for Maths, English, then Biology (not just because I really enjoy it) and then probably a Language. If you have a specific careeer in mind then perhaps tailor your courses to specific entry requirements. You could also seek advice from the Careers Advisors at your College.
Omega
(Original post by kellywood_5)
How many GCSEs do you need to pick? I'm guessing 2 because if you already have 3 Cs, you only need 2 more to do A-levels. What are your Cs in? You definitely need English and maths if you don't have Cs in them already. Otherwise, the languages and biology are the most useful.
I think it's two. I've got a C in art, photography, ICT.

I've got an E in both english and maths. :rolleyes:
Pixelated
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's your answer. Take English and Maths. No offence but you won't get very far with E's in them.
Omega
There's your answer. Take English and Maths. No offence but you won't get very far with E's in them.
I know.
Pixelated
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you know that, why start this thread?
Omega
If you know that, why start this thread?
No, I know that now after starting the thread.
Pixelated
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Omega)
No, I know that now after starting the thread.
Furry Muff.
XMorganX
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Furry Muff.
What does that mean?

To omega-
Maths and english. You don't uses science much in everyday life.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1170)
79.38%
Leave (304)
20.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed