Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's having trouble deciding between the two..his other subjects are History, English Lit., and also Media Studies (although he didn't choose that himself).
    His school is small so he has to choose between certain subjects, and so doesn't know which to take..I don't think there's much difference in their prestige to unis is there? Or is Geography a 'better' subject?
    He got an A in Geo. at GCSE by the way, and is planning to do either History or English at uni.

Thanks in advance for the help

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that sociology goes well with media studies. I've just finished A2 sociology and I found it pretty easy. Didn't put much effort in and came out with an A. I think that that most people would say that geography is the 'better' subject in that most universities tend to respect it more (I don't really have an opinion as I haven't studied geography at AS/A2 level.) Sorry, I know that answer's not much help.

ReputationRep:
    Geography is probably more well-respected than Sociology, apparently, it is more difficult than Maths.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    Geography is probably more well-respected than Sociology, apparently, it is more difficult than Maths.
    apparently? according to who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    apparently? according to who?
    some friend in my old school, but there is an element of truth in it though.

ReputationRep:
    I did Geography. It was good! I got an A but most of my class got Cs/Ds/Es. It's not really hard or anything as long as you actually do work!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    some friend in my old school, but there is an element of truth in it though.
    tbh I believe you (although I was put off geography by the idea of spending a week long field trip at chesil beach with the weirdo's that I knew were going to carry it on (that and the coursework)) - it would certainly have been harder for me to get a good grade in than maths was *shuffles in front of 9% mark for GCSE geography coursework* - I HATED coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    tbh I believe you (although I was put off geography by the idea of spending a week long field trip at chesil beach with the weirdo's that I knew were going to carry it on (that and the coursework)) - it would certainly have been harder for me to get a good grade in than maths was *shuffles in front of 9% mark for GCSE geography coursework* - I HATED coursework
    lol all ppl do is rock digging and measure the diameter of rocks. :rolleyes:

coursework, 9%?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    lol all ppl do is rock digging and measure the diameter of rocks. :rolleyes:

coursework, 9%?
    For GCSE - still got a B overall though....I still maintain that I could give a **** whether castleton is a honeypot village

And everyone knows that rocks are only interesting while they're still in situ - once they've fallen off the cliff they're DULL.

*shuffles in front of dissertation on clay*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    For GCSE - still got a B overall though....I still maintain that I could give a **** whether castleton is a honeypot village

And everyone knows that rocks are only interesting while they're still in situ - once they've fallen off the cliff they're DULL.

*shuffles in front of dissertation on clay*
    I take it you didn't like coursework then?

P.S. *I love colouring :cool:, should have done Geography *
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I take it you didn't like coursework then?

P.S. *I love colouring :cool:, should have done Geography *
    HATED coursework - my A level grades descend in order of increasnig coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenni_Kitten)
    My boyfriend's having trouble deciding between the two..his other subjects are History, English Lit., and also Media Studies (although he didn't choose that himself).
    His school is small so he has to choose between certain subjects, and so doesn't know which to take..I don't think there's much difference in their prestige to unis is there? Or is Geography a 'better' subject?
    He got an A in Geo. at GCSE by the way, and is planning to do either History or English at uni.

Thanks in advance for the help
    I did both Sociology and Geography A-levels and both are interesting but tbh Geography is probably better viewed in the eyes of universities, and considering he is already taking media (albeit through no choice of his own) I think Geog might be better. Still, they are both good subjects, but a good teacher makes a huge difference (I had cr*p teachers for Socio). Get him to look at specifications in detail to see which he thinks he would prefer?

ReputationRep:
    Geography is more respected and he'd then have 3 traditional subjects plus media studies, but if he'd much prefer sociology or do better in it, he should take it.

Sociology, then you get to join my society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Sociology, then you get to join my society!
    I'll have to quit your society now, I'm never doing sociology again.

ReputationRep:
    Geography.

(Original post by pikaboo)
    I'll have to quit your society now, I'm never doing sociology again.
    Oh no, once you come in you can never get out....

*manic laughter*

ReputationRep:
    definitely do geog, no disrespect to sociology but is generally regarded by uni's as a doss, whereas geog is respected and don't really need to do much work for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JML161)
    definitely do geog, no disrespect to sociology but is generally regarded by uni's as a doss, whereas geog is respected and don't really need to do much work for it.
    Hmm, I can't really agree with you there on the fact that uni's regard it as a 'doss'.

ReputationRep:
    do hist,eng, sociology and geography
    drop the meda.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.