The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
yeah it closed down straight after the big weekend, and gettign knocked down as we speak, and they building a brand new one :biggrin:
also octagon night club has reacently been made up, next year Bangors gonna be sooooo good!!
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
octagon night club has reacently been made up, next year Bangors gonna be sooooo good!!

Oh that's good. Any word on when the new SU nightclub will be finished though? Having two nightclubs is better than one =P
Mister_Chris
Oh that's good. Any word on when the new SU nightclub will be finished though? Having two nightclubs is better than one =P

it will be finished before September I would think
theres also the academy as well, which used to above/round the side of time, so I would think academys getting re done as well :s-smilie: not sure though
are you going to bangor uni then? staying in ffriddoedd?? sucha good banter there this year (im not at the uni, just i live near)
To give you a bit of info on this....

The Students' Union trading company (Undeb Trading Cyf.) which ran Time/Amser, Academi, Selar/Basement and The SU shop was in financial difficulties with debts of over £1million and they were only able to make the payments of the interest on the loan. The loan was taken out and the lease on the building was used as collateral. to ensure the university could knock down the buildings to make way for the pontio project the university bought the trading company. they all ceased trading before the summer ball.

the robinson building which is about 100 meters away from the current SU building is going to be the home of the new nightclub (planned to be open in September, but due to planning permission etc it may be slightly later), there will also be a shop and a cafe in there. once the new pontio building has been completed there will be a SU bar in the pontio building along with teh theatre bar. the whole of robinson will then be converted into a nightclub with an enourmous capacity probably around 1600.

there is a lloyds bar coming to bangor and I've heard rumours of a walkabout coming as well. this means there is the potential for up to 5 clubs in bangor.

Time/Amser (the new club if it keeps the name as was initially planned)
Octagon
Lloyds Bar
Walkabout

plus with varsity having a large capacity and continuing its £ party (until the law changes) and proposed changes to Bar uno (not just the layout but the prices as well) there could be good prospects for students. I just hope for your sake that the new nighclub is fnished on time and doesn't do what Bar uno did 2 years ago and open a month and half later than it should have done.
Reply 5
Oooh, thanks for the info! I'd rep you but it seems I can't do it twice in 28 days :/
no worries.. its fine, I'm not really a rep whore and seeing as I've been heavily involved with the union and chaired its events committee the past 2 years, I've known a lot about this stuff. Not to mention my unsucessfull attempt to run for SU president :p:
daniel_williams
To give you a bit of info on this....

The Students' Union trading company (Undeb Trading Cyf.) which ran Time/Amser, Academi, Selar/Basement and The SU shop was in financial difficulties with debts of over £1million and they were only able to make the payments of the interest on the loan. The loan was taken out and the lease on the building was used as collateral. to ensure the university could knock down the buildings to make way for the pontio project the university bought the trading company. they all ceased trading before the summer ball.

the robinson building which is about 100 meters away from the current SU building is going to be the home of the new nightclub (planned to be open in September, but due to planning permission etc it may be slightly later), there will also be a shop and a cafe in there. once the new pontio building has been completed there will be a SU bar in the pontio building along with teh theatre bar. the whole of robinson will then be converted into a nightclub with an enourmous capacity probably around 1600.

there is a lloyds bar coming to bangor and I've heard rumours of a walkabout coming as well. this means there is the potential for up to 5 clubs in bangor.

Time/Amser (the new club if it keeps the name as was initially planned)
Octagon
Lloyds Bar
Walkabout

plus with varsity having a large capacity and continuing its £ party (until the law changes) and proposed changes to Bar uno (not just the layout but the prices as well) there could be good prospects for students. I just hope for your sake that the new nighclub is fnished on time and doesn't do what Bar uno did 2 years ago and open a month and half later than it should have done.

It sounds like Bangor's gonna be really good for students over the next years, and I'm leaving there lol! I saw a thing in the paper that Gwynedd Council didn't want to give planning permission for a nightclub in Robinson building :s
Kimberley*xo
It sounds like Bangor's gonna be really good for students over the next years, and I'm leaving there lol! I saw a thing in the paper that Gwynedd Council didn't want to give planning permission for a nightclub in Robinson building :s

yeah, there are a few problems. its not in a residential area so ther eisn't a huge need to deny it. but the building itself needs a lot of work, and the fact it'll probably shake itself apart when it gets a 115db sound system in there will make it interesting. there is a lot of concern about the nighclub venue, but hopefully things will be resolved for the future generations of Bangor students as a Nightclub is a vital part of the student experience.

Latest