The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths A level: S2 or D1?

I have done EDEXCEL AS level maths this year with S1 as the applied module and have gotten over 90 on S1. Next year, I don't know whether to do S2 or D1.

I was wondering what the differences were in terms on volume of information, exam question difficulty, content difficulty, etc. between S2 and D1 edexcel.

Is S2 much harder than S1? How long did it take you to learn S2/D1? Did you have difficulty learning any topics from S2/D1? Are exam questions harder for S2 or D1? etc..

Would you say it's easier to get 90+ in either S2 or D1?

Reply 1
I can't speak on this issue with enough knowledge because I haven't taken S2 but I can tell you that D1 is really easy. The actual learning part is quite fun and realistic because you can apply it in real life and the exams are straight forward..The questions don't differ at all, look at the past papers!

all you have to do is learn several algorithms and your guaranteed to get the grade you want. Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
In2deep
I can't speak on this issue with enough knowledge because I haven't taken S2 but I can tell you that D1 is really easy. The actual learning part is quite fun and realistic because you can apply it in real life and the exams are straight forward..The questions don't differ at all, look at the past papers!

all you have to do is learn several algorithms and your guaranteed to get the grade you want. Hope this helps:smile:

Thank you, that did help :smile:

Would like more posts though :smile: xx
Reply 3
Princestia
I have done EDEXCEL AS level maths this year with S1 as the applied module and have gotten over 90 on S1. Next year, I don't know whether to do S2 or D1.

I was wondering what the differences were in terms on volume of information, exam question difficulty, content difficulty, etc. between S2 and D1 edexcel.

Is S2 much harder than S1? How long did it take you to learn S2/D1? Did you have difficulty learning any topics from S2/D1? Are exam questions harder for S2 or D1? etc..

Would you say it's easier to get 90+ in either S2 or D1?

i dunno about S2 but D1 is VERY VERY EASY. i dont even know why its an alevel topic.
I did D1 and that was simple enough tbh. As for S2, I couldn't say myself but I was told it's easier than S1, apparently.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the helpful posts so far, everyone :smile:

Please continue posting. Thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Anyone else want to post?
Edexcel specific please.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
I've done both D1 and S2. I hate D1, and didn't like S1; I prefer mechanics. However, I do quite like S2, if you like probabilities, you'll like S2. It's easier than S1, but both S2 and D1 tend to have high boundaries, so the key to getting >90 is to not make mistakes.
Princestia
Anyone else want to post?
Edexcel specific please.
Thank you :smile:

I've done both and I would say that they are on very similar levels, learning wise and difficulty. The exams are very straight forward once you have got to grips with how they want you to lay out your answers. S2 is a much smaller syllabus than both S1 and D1. D1 has got a lengthy (a particularly tedious) syllabus and due to the number of students who take it and as you can see, find it easy, the grade boundaries are often high. Comparatively, S2 is probably the harder one but not by that much.

Latest