The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
B00kwOrm
Alright, fair enough, I'll shut up. I agree with your criteria for choosing colleges. I apologise to all scientist out there! MadNatSci knows I like talking to scientists... Don't you?

Of course I know, you were just foolish enough to go with the usual stereotyping and prejudice... so I thought I may as well rub it in a bit :wink:
Don't worry, I'm more than used to stereotyping considering I'm a compsci :rolleyes:... stop sniggering :tongue:!

Alaric.
Reply 21
AAAAAHHHH! :eek: A CompSci! :eek: Just kidding, CompScis are great! :smile:
Reply 22
Pembroke college, Oxford is usually the butt of many a joke. But out of the 8 students who sat their Finals in 2003. Seven got Firsts and one person a 2.1. One of those who got a First achieved the highest one in the university.
I am clearly biased but Hilda's has an excellent reputation for languages (the language must be french or german though), and I've heard good things about the history tutors too. A friend of mine is doing history and German and she loves it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 24
aliel
Pembroke college, Oxford is usually the butt of many a joke. But out of the 8 students who sat their Finals in 2003. Seven got Firsts and one person a 2.1. One of those who got a First achieved the highest one in the university.

An exellent example of a point I was trying to make earlier in the thread ie even if the college is not generally thought of as good for history it may in fact still be a good p;ace to styudy history. Sounds like there are a couple of good history tutors at Pembroke.
Reply 25
lala
I know nothing about Cambridge, but Oxford wise yes those are 'history' colleges. I'm at Lincoln so I can tell you about that. We do take in a lot for history each year and the rector of the college is a historian so that means our library is extremely well equipped history wise. It is quite hard to get into I guess but every year there are students who apply to us that the tutors find places for elsewhere, so its a worthwhile gamble.
However, joint schools wise- well, its certainly not true that you've got huge amounts more work then a single honours degree, theres a bit more but not double or anything. If you're applying for a joint school though, then try and apply to a college which gives places for it every year. Lincoln does give places for your course but its not as well represtented here as other joint schools history degrees are. That said, the history course at Oxford offers a lot of language opportunities in itself so you might decide you want to go for single honours anyway.
pm me if you need any mroe info.

There may be no more work in quantity but if joint schools are anything at all like PPE there is an issue of switching from subject to subject within the course. That often involves a jump from one mind set to another eg from philosophy to economics certainly caused me some difficulty - but then again I could just be slow.

The only person I've known to do a history joint school was doing history and english and she moaned endlessly about the bridge papers.

Latest

Trending

Trending