So How do u actually Revise?!?! Watch

This discussion is closed.
stress head
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Do u revise by reading it, or speaking it, or just writing it out?! please say something cause i hav my RS GCSE mock tomorrow?! help
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by stress head)
Do u revise by reading it, or speaking it, or just writing it out?! please say something cause i hav my RS GCSE mock tomorrow?! help
I write down things and condense major parts of the syllabus down until I can remember a small list of words and from that can bulk out explainations.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My prefered method is to just not bother, but when I do force myself into it I normally just read. I think writing it out is probably the most effective way.
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Read and then make notes on specific questions which are likely to come up. This will focus your mind on something, rather than aimless reading or a bulk of unspecific notes. Don't stress too much! Good luck! It's just a mock, remember!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Revising is not something that everyone has to do. Anyone of reasonable academic ability who has listened and worked throughough the duration of a GCSE or A level course should know the bulk of what they need to know by the time exams come round.

I basically write as much as I can about each area I need to know in note/bullet point form. I make sure that I know enough about the area to expand on my points. I then take the text book and go through it ticking off relevant point I have made.

Once I am satisfied I have covered all points and am prepared for the exam I continue to read on the subject and occasionally repeat the above. If I know I am weak in one particular area I pay particular attention here.

A person who has done what they are supposed to do throughout the course SHOULD NOT have to do loads of last ditch revising at the last minute.
gillsfc003
Report 15 years ago
hi there. i am 16 and am getting ready for my As level exams to come. you have to read it, and if it makes it easier, write it down such as key notes.

Email me back when you get this.

Good Luck!!

Nathan
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
By the way I would just like to add that if you dont know what you need to know the night before an exam you are probably not going to achieve much by sitting up all night.
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Revising is not something that everyone has to do. Anyone of reasonable academic ability who has listened and worked throughough the duration of a GCSE or A level course should know the bulk of what they need to know by the time exams come round.

I basically write as much as I can about each area I need to know in note/bullet point form. I make sure that I know enough about the area to expand on my points. I then take the text book and go through it ticking off relevant point I have made.

Once I am satisfied I have covered all points and am prepared for the exam I continue to read on the subject and occasionally repeat the above. If I know I am weak in one particular area I pay particular attention here.

A person who has done what they are supposed to do throughout the course SHOULD NOT have to do loads of last ditch revising at the last minute.
I agree. The best way to learn is to work hard throughout the year and forget about revision.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
By the way I would just like to add that if you dont know what you need to know the night before an exam you are probably not going to achieve much by sitting up all night.
Very true

I have to be honest and say I only truley started revising at university when to achieve a higher grade involved not only spouting back the course content but adding in references to published papers and further reading.

Question spotting really does come into it's own at university.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Although I'm aware that I know most of the stuff, just to make sure I write everything all over again. That way i'm confident that I know the stuff. I use tons of colour and pictures. I associate words with colours. Eg. when revising for biology I colour everything to do with protein purple, anything to do with fat red etc. I'm a visual learner so once i've written this down once i've got a photo of the diagram i've drawn in my head. It disappears after a few weeks though

I also make myself revision sheets which just ask questions I made by looking at the syllabus.

Finally, a few days before the exam I meet up with my friends at Starbucks and have a 'study session'. At this point we're all done revising and we test each other. Psychologists say that your 80% more likely to remember facts if you speak them to someone else so it's great. Sometimes your friends will point out stuff that you forgot to revise.

For vocab words I use mnemonics a lot. It's amazing how quickly you remember them this way!

I heard ppl who learn from listening sometimes tape themselves saying the information :P I've never tried it though, lol.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.8%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (208)
40.78%
Nope, not that interesting (201)
39.41%

Watched Threads