The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

How was your first week at Manchester?

Hi Guys and Girls! :smile:

Just got my accommodation offer through and now starting to get excited for September!
Wondering if others could share their stories of how the first week at Manchester went? What kind of stuff goes on?
I see we can move in after 16th sept. (thursday)
Will most people move in then or on the Saturday?

Thanks! :smile:
Probably one of the best out of all of the weeks I have had there :P

I moved in on the Saturday, most of my flatmates came on that day but a few came earlier! I think my French housemate had come on Thursday and said it was quite empty haha so I wouldn't worry if you don't want to turn up on Thursday. Although it might be somewhat advisable as the traffic queues were horrendous on Saturday!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Mostly forgettable. They put on so many events for people to get wasted at on all the different campuses. People move in at any time up til the beginning of Fresher's Week, it's a fairly even spread, but Saturday is very popular as parents have time off work.

It isn't Fresher's Week that you should be looking forward to, it's the whole thing. Not many people stay hanging out with the people they were with on Fresher's Week.

The Fresher's Ball is pretty crap tbh. I'm not trying to put a downer on it, Manchester is awesome to be at, but people often look forward to Fresher's Week faaaaaaaar too much.
Get there early. Mine was ... dunno really :frown:

Tbh I wish I'd "networked" more. Do that.

Which campus are you at?

Fresher's is good, but the ball is absolute crap for £20 - do not go there.
Oh yeah don't go to the ball, and DON'T i repeat DON'T buy the £40 booklet of tickets to all the things on different nights, a) you won't go to all of them and b) it's honestly cheaper just to buy the individual tickets of things you want to go to!! I think I went to one thing on that bloody ticket, honestly, so it worked out I paid £40 for one event. Honestly, don't buy it. Don't!