Where's the roughest places in Manchester? Watch

Fanto
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am thinking of a job offer in Manchester and maybe live there if the job works out for me, i have heard parts can be rough as hell so i would like to know the roughest and worst parts to avoid. thanks
win2kpro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Salford/Moss side?
papered
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i would definitely say moss side
Aivicore
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well Hulme has a pretty bad reputation, although it's actually a hell of a lot better these days.
Otherwise I'd say Moss Side and Gorton. Bits of Salford.

Nowhere's absolutely awful though, imho.
Neil_K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Gorton, Moston, Moss Side, Longsight, Ardwick...be careful around those places, I wouldn't recommend you live or go to those places if you can avoid doing so. Moston is worse than Moss Side these days...there are more gangs and more shootings in Moston. And Longsight is pretty rough and full of dodgy people. There was a murder right opposite the shop where I worked last December, some guy was shot dead.

But on the whole, Manchester is a good city. I've never personally had any trouble here; people around the city centre are generally quite friendly, whether in the daytime shopping or on nights out in bars/clubs. Just avoid the areas I mentioned and you'll have a great time here.
Peter991
Report 9 years ago
6 places that i know to avoid in Manchester

1. Ardwick
2. Moston
3. Longsight
4. Harpurhey
5. Hulme
6. Gorton

i have family in moss side and they say it has changed a lot since the early 1990's, moss side isn't so bad anymore! there are other pretty rough places in Manchester but I'm not familiar with them, but the 6 i have mentioned are really rough, shady people in Ardwick and Moston definitely have guns and they don't trust people they don't recognize! avoid them at all costs.
asdalol
Report 9 years ago
My guess would be Moss Side
Phobia27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nice choice of forum :teehee:
TheProdigy2k9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Moss Side and Longsight are the roughest. Don't wanna **** with people from there.
Sherlock.H
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Moss side fo sho.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Absolutely Moss side. I had to go there on a school trip once and I saw two guns in the three hours or so I was there.
Meadows14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Moss side and parts of Salford, specifically Cadishead and Irlam. Growing up near there wasn't cool.
MessyEater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Moston and Moss Side. Bits of Longsight but tbh it's still pretty studenty. Bits of Salford but there are also some reeeeally nice bits.
I'd say Salford's becoming safer and safer. May be a good place to invest in as the area improves (BBC MediaCity moving there etc.) especially the closer to the Quays you get.
I love it anyway. I'll be sad to leave Manch in September. I've never felt unsafe in city centre ever.
Good luck with the job offer!
1xzGazzy
Report 9 years ago
Dont go to... Ardwick, Longsight, Cheetham Hill, Wythenshawe, Hulme.

Eccles seems ok
patella
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Moss Side, Longsight, Hulme, and Ardwick instantly spring to mind.

There are definitely some nasty areas in Salford, but I'm not as familiar with the area.
patella
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 1xzGazzy)
Dont go to... Ardwick, Longsight, Cheetham Hill, Wythenshawe, Hulme.

Eccles seems ok
A fair bit of Wythenshawe looks like a bit of a dump, and it's populated with chavs, but I've felt perfectly safe in most areas. :dontknow:
Will7291
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'd suggest living in Reddish. Decent area within a couple miles of Manchester city centre and stockport.
Imtiazali786
Report 9 years ago
You don't need people telling you where is safe and where isn't. This is the UK not Pakistan, where you are really honestly in serious danger by picking a wrong area.

The 3 things that you should ask yourself are;

1- Your lifestyle. Will you be arriving home late, and how? Walking? Car? Taxi? Other such things.
2- Who will your friendbase consist of, street rats or educated skunks?
3- How much are you willing to spend, will ultimatly depend on your security in any area.
punktopia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fanto)
I am thinking of a job offer in Manchester and maybe live there if the job works out for me, i have heard parts can be rough as hell so i would like to know the roughest and worst parts to avoid. thanks
Manchester.
TinpotTim
Report 9 years ago
Longsight
Ardwick
Moston
Moss Side
Gorton
Beswick
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (80)
8.78%
No I am happy with my course choice (541)
59.39%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (129)
14.16%

Watched Threads