The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Avoid most of Manchester if you can, in the city centre you should be fine and there's loads of CCTV. obvious parts to avoid are: Moston, Ardwick, Longsight, Moss Side, Cheetham Hill, Harpurhey, Hulme, Gorton, Fallowfield, Beswick, Wythenshawe, Crumpsall. and Little Hulton in Salford.

Seriously don't mess with people from Moston, Ardwick, Longsight.

Good luck and stay safe.
Reply 21
1xzGazzy
Dont go to... Cheetham Hill,

Cheetham hill is fine. I live in Cheetham Hill. It's the Jewish community of Manchester, so everybody looks out for one another, and there isn't a lot of crime here.

That said, a girl was murdered by her uncle on the road near where I live a few weeks back, so crime can happen anywhere! On the whole, though, Cheetham Hill seems pretty quiet and peaceful compared to the other areas I mentioned.
Reply 22
Why is Fallowfield an "obvious place to avoid"? :confused:

I've spent a hell of a lot of time in Fallowfield and some parts of Wythenshawe and nothing's ever happened to me.

Aside from the odd couple of areas, Manchester isn't that rough at all.

Reply 23
Yeah, there's no need to avoid Cheetham Hill, it's fine. I'd say Moss Side, the 'centre' of Salford with, what is it, 'Salford Shopping City' or somrthing, near Weaste. That place is rank. Hulme is getting better - it's had so much money spent on it - and it's fairly cheap, too.
Reply 24
People are so right saying to avoid Ardwick, Longsight and Moston.
I also suggest to avoid Gorton
Reply 25
punktopia
Manchester.

LOL
Irlam O' Heights is pretty dodgy.

Chorlton, Fallowfield, Didsbury, City Centre are all great places to live.

I particularly love Didsbury for The Art of Tea and Didsbury Sci Bar :yes:
Reply 27
punktopia
Manchester.

You're so funny....I'm just in awe.

1xzGazzy
Dont go to... Ardwick, Longsight, Cheetham Hill, Wythenshawe, Hulme.

Eccles seems ok

I wouldn't say Wythenshawe is that bad. Working class (not a bad thing, before anyone calls me a snob!) but it does have deprived areas. Can be a little rough around the edges, but I don't think crime is exactly out of control.

My experience is limited, but I've never felt unsafe. My brother moved there after university to work and he didn't see any trouble.

Only once did he hear a gunshot (and that was in the street next to him) :p:
Mossside
Longsight
Rusholme
Ardwick
Bezec
Gorton
Moston
Parts of Old Trafford
Hulme
Reply 29
Moss Side - its where all the black people live.
Reply 30
River85
You're so funny....I'm just in awe.

What's wrong, did someone steal your sense of humour?
moss side is probably the most well known rough area!! just because it's always in the media for high levels of gun and knife crime!!
Fanto
I am thinking of a job offer in Manchester and maybe live there if the job works out for me, i have heard parts can be rough as hell so i would like to know the roughest and worst parts to avoid. thanks

Just about all of it besides Didsbury, Withington, Chorlton?
asdalol
My guess would be Moss Side

My guess is you live in suburbia and not "true" Manchester. I mean you a pro-Tory, so my guess is probably right. No self-respecting Mancunian would ever vote Conservative :no:

Anyway I would try to avoid:

Moss Side largely
Longsight
Parts of Salford, like Langworthy, Ordsall, Seedley, parts of Eccles, Pendleton etc
Partington
Parts of Wythenshawe, especially Benchill, Northern Moor, and Newall Green.
Old Trafford in places
Whalley Range on the border of Moss Side
Parts of Stretford
Ardwick
Harpurhey
Gorton, the vast majority of it.
Cheetham Hill.
The inner city areas like Collyhurst, Newton Heath...there's nothing there and they're quite desolate and dangerous.
Moston.

I think that's all bases covered.
Meadows14
Moss side and parts of Salford, specifically Cadishead and Irlam. Growing up near there wasn't cool.

I've seen Irlam about once or twice, it looks quite peaceful and plus why is everyone saying Longsight, whenever I go there, it's pretty peaceful and has alright shops. What's happened in Longsight- is Sauron from Lord of the Rings present there?

To be honest, if you are street wise and sensible, you should be fine.

I've lived in Gorton and Longsight for 12 years [in total] and they were not 'bad' places. There were a few problems but problems exist everywhere... :smile:
The only completely safe place in Manchester largely free of "ghettoisation" and gangs is Didsbury, which is where the money is at. I can see a correalation.
I'd agree with Moss Side. My old secondary school was just outside the area, but I remember hearing of some worrying experiences nearby. :frown:
Reply 38
jaydoh
My guess is you live in suburbia and not "true" Manchester. I mean you a pro-Tory, so my guess is probably right. No self-respecting Mancunian would ever vote Conservative

Grew up in Fallowfield then moved to Stockport which is a Labour area :frown:
Reply 39
Area around the Printworks in the City Centre is pretty bad

Latest

Trending

Trending