The Student Room Group

Marilyn Monroe is GORGEOUS!

I mean I always thought she was a stunner but I just watched that movie, Some Like It Hot, and I just appreciate her so much more. I always thought it was an exaggeration when people said that shes actually like a size 12/14 but after watching the movie I realised she really did have a much fuller figure to the skinny minneys of today's Hollywood actresses. She had like full hips and a full bust, but still looked toned and healthy and dresses clung to her beautifully and I read somewhere that Hollywood....or indeed any acting industry....would never hire a girl of those proportions these days to play the kind of roles Nicole Kidman or Megan Fox does...and I was wondering if you guys think that's true?

I mean what about that film Precious, the main actress in that was practically obese, but would she be hired to play any other roles than the one she was needed for in that film? I suppose not. I felt like I could relate more to a woman who looked like Marilyn Monroe in that movie than any of the starved, over air-brushed women who are idolised like super waif Keira Knightly.

I mean yes there are women like Scarlet Johansson and Kim Kardashian and Beyonce etc. but something about Marilyn's physique seemed effortless. On screen she didn't look like she had spent hours working out, eating a strict diet, she just looked natural and normal. Like that was the way she was, she didn't have to spend hours counting and burning calories to look that way. Whereas a lot of the time on the red carpet you see actresses who admit to having eaten a grapefruit a day for a month to fit into that Valentino gown, or play that seductress role. I mean I know that actors and actresses have to push themselves for their art, gaining and losing weight, changing their physique to fit the role because thats part of what makes the job challenging....but well as Amanda Seyfried said: "I have to stay in shape because I'm an actress," Seyfried explains. "It's f--ked up and it's twisted, but I wouldn't get the roles otherwise. If I'd been bigger, I don't think they would have cast me for Mamma Mia!"

Is it f***ed up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes totally. I mean I do not see why a girl that is any bigger than a size 2 (uk size 6) cannot be put in films.
The world has females of a range shapes and sizes so why can't the films in Hollywood be the same? like it to be.
Reply 2
This thread needs pics or else it fails hard.
Reply 3
very pretty but a bit of a fatty
Indeed she was, and she was just as gorgeous before she changed drastically.

However I think she hated how she looked in that film? :s-smilie: And she was pregnant.
Reply 5
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism

However I think she hated how she looked in that film? :s-smilie: And she was pregnant.

Oh wow I didn't know that? Well I think she looked fabulous and for her to look that way and not be turned down by directors or producers is more amazing.
Reply 6
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism

I don't see much of a change she looks hawt either way :smile:
Her measurements: 35-22-35

In today's sizes, that's a 10/12 bust, size 2 waist, size 8 hips.

Her figure is completely unachievable for almost everyone, yet I keep hearing from fat girls how we should all strive to be like her instead of thin girls (when she was just a thin girl with big boobs). What's that all about? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
An absolute beauty!
Reply 9
if we're talking classics, then hands down no-one is more attractive than this woman:

Spoiler

We need pics and yes she is.

Don't forget - Rita Hayworth gave good face

Spoiler

And the original sex goddess

Spoiler

But yes, Marilyn was beautiful.
Pink Bullets
Her measurements: 35-22-35

In today's sizes, that's a 10/12 bust, size 2 waist, size 8 hips.

Her figure is completely unachievable for almost everyone, yet I keep hearing from fat girls how we should all strive to be like her instead of thin girls (when she was just a thin girl with big boobs). What's that all about? :s-smilie:

size 2?? US or UK size?
Then:

Spoiler

Now:

Spoiler

Sad times :frown:
I imagine (like most female celebs) her weight and size fluctuated throughout her career. I also find it hard to believe she had a 22" waist without the use of a corset.
pina.Love
size 2?? US or UK size?

There is no UK size 2. A 22" waist would be a UK size 4 (or US size 00) but as said above I highly doubt this was without the use of a corset. Her true waist size may have been 24-26".
Reply 16
Can we drop the whole 'she was size 12/14'. She wasn't. Don't try to hijack Monroe as an excuse and poster girl for the contemporary overweight crisis this country faces.

She was a size 12 in the place you wanted it (bust). Everywhere else she was an 8~ or less
I know what you mean, but not all celebrities are stick thin these days, how about the gorgeous size 12 kate winslet?
Smtn
Can we drop the whole 'she was size 12/14'. She wasn't.

She was a size 12 in the place you wanted it (bust). Everywhere else she was an 8~ or less

I'm sure she probably flucutated in size throughout her life and may well have been a size 12/14 at some point in her career.

Think you will agree these are not size 8 hips:

:love:

Latest