This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Humberside Police stopped a fifteen year old paper deliverer at 6:45am and informed him that he was breaking the law as someone of his age is not permitted to work before 7am.

The boy used to start his "round" and 7:15 but was forced to start earlier due to his college moving their start time from 9:00am to 8:30am.

The police officer told him off and advised that he best not be caught doing it again or he would be in serious trouble.

Thoughts / opinions? Correct law enforcement or just complete madness?

BTW if the paper deliverer and the newsagent came to some agreement that he was not actually "working" and payment was offered for some other chore I am sure that this law could be circumvented.
xAngelx
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Humberside Police stopped a fifteen year old paper deliverer at 6:45am and informed him that he was breaking the law as someone of his age is not permitted to work before 7am.

The boy used to start his "round" and 7:15 but was forced to start earlier due to his college moving their start time from 9:00am to 8:30am.

The police officer told him off and advised that he best not be caught doing it again or he would be in serious trouble.

BTW if the paper deliverer and the newsagent came to some agreement that he was not actually "working" and payment was offered for some other chore I am sure that this law could be circumvented.

seriously haven't the police got better things to do like catch real criminals
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by xAngelx)
seriously haven't the police got better things to do like catch real criminals
Er...yes!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It wasn't the boy who was at fault but his employer.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
In an unrelated incident Welsh constabulary parked a camera van 30 yards before a 30 became a 60 and were clocking people on the way OUT of a residential area.

Now I could understand them doing it the other way round thus encouraging people to slow down as they enter a residential area but the above is just blatant revenue raising as people speed up towards the national speed limit.
xAngelx
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
does it matter the policeare full of **** i think the police in hull are **** scared off people they dare do anything to protect
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
I thought this could be the case.

My suggestion to them would be that the boy performs his weekly round as a favour to the newsagent who then pays him the money for some unrelated chore such as taking something to the post office or manning the till for five minutes.

This way he is not actually "earning" money when he is out at 6:45am.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

here the curfew is 12 to 5.....but anyway, where i live, the police make their livings off of tickets....they give them to anyone who they feel is breaking the law, even though it may be ridiculous.

did you guys here about the police officer that gave a 17 year old girl in NYC a ticket for sitting on the subway station steps because her back hurt? purely ridiculous *rollseyes*
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought this could be the case.

My suggestion to them would be that the boy performs his weekly round as a favour to the newsagent who then pays him the money for some unrelated chore such as taking something to the post office or manning the till for five minutes.

This way he is not actually "earning" money when he is out at 6:45am.
True the law would be easy to work around

However the law about not working before 7am is there for the boys protection - children under a certain age are limited in the hours they are allowed to work because working more than/outside those hours is considered to be against their best interests.

To comply in a work around of a law that's there to protect you is basically like sticking two fingers up at all the people who suffered and protested and campaigned to prevent child labour and protect workers.

It's like helping your employer pay you less than the minimum wage...you lose out and your employer gains.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True the law would be easy to work around

However the law about not working before 7am is there for the boys protection - children under a certain age are limited in the hours they are allowed to work because working more than/outside those hours is considered to be against their best interests.

To comply in a work around of a law that's there to protect you is basically like sticking two fingers up at all the people who suffered and protested and campaigned to prevent child labour and protect workers.

It's like helping your employer pay you less than the minimum wage...you lose out and your employer gains.
but it wasnt really the boys fault......it was a ridiculous ticket, hes only delivering papers!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh and I'm afraid I have no sympathy for anyone caught speeding - speed limits are widely publicised (and if you don't know them you shouldn't have passed your test) and anyone who *choses* to break the law shouldn't moan when forced to pay the consequences.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
but it wasnt really the boys fault......it was a ridiculous ticket, hes only delivering papers!
He didn't get a ticket but a warning

And to be honest everyone should be aware of their rights as an employee and not assist their employer in breaching those rights.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
Hello again!
xAngelx
Report 16 years ago
Oh and I'm afraid I have no sympathy for anyone caught speeding - speed limits are widely publicised (and if you don't know them you shouldn't have passed your test) and anyone who *choses* to break the law shouldn't moan when forced to pay the consequences.
my mum broke the law she was caught speeding at 34 in a 30 mph area i think, and she had to go to a lechure, and they was all grown ups as my mum was the youngest there at 43, can i ask where all these boy racers are who i have personally seen down the same road racing. it makes me sick that they are going even faster like at 50mph but noooo they wouldn't get fined would they
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I hate the police. Though some things that they do, are quite humorous.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my mum broke the law she was caught speeding at 34 in a 30 mph area i think, and she had to go to a lechure, and they was all grown ups as my mum was the youngest there at 43, can i ask where all these boy racers are who i have personally seen down the same road racing. it makes me sick that they are going even faster like at 50mph but noooo they wouldn't get fined would they
I apologise? I have been pulled five or six times by the police whilst on my motorbike, once it was for speeding, the other times it was just tedious things such as, wearing a tinted visor, not displaying L-plate (before I passed my test) or just because my engine was too loud. Silly things really.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In an unrelated incident Welsh constabulary parked a camera van 30 yards before a 30 became a 60 and were clocking people on the way OUT of a residential area.

Now I could understand them doing it the other way round thus encouraging people to slow down as they enter a residential area but the above is just blatant revenue raising as people speed up towards the national speed limit.
But its still in the 30 limit, so is rightfully catching people. THe speed limit is 30mph right up until the sign, and therefore you cannot exceed 30mph. A 60 sign is not there because you have to be travelling at 60mph when you get to the sign, it is there to tell you that past that point you may travel at up to 60mph.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a shame that there is an element of luck in who gets caught speeding (personally I'm in favour of speed cameras *everywhere* as at least that punished the occassional offender and the repeated offender in the varying ways they deserve - this even though I do speed* on motorways (I'd be willing to slow down to 70mph if the limits were rigourously enforced and wouldn't resent recieving a ticket when I've knowingly broken the law)).

*Note I say on motorways - in town I'm positively anal about the speed limit being the *limit* and not a target.
xAngelx
Report 16 years ago
It's a shame that there is an element of luck in who gets caught speeding (personally I'm in favour of speed cameras *everywhere* as at least that punished the occassional offender and the repeated offender in the varying ways they deserve - this even though I do speed* on motorways (I'd be willing to slow down to 70mph if the limits were rigourously enforced and wouldn't resent recieving a ticket when I've knowingly broken the law)).

*Note I say on motorways - in town I'm positively anal about the speed limit being the *limit* and not a target.

my mum knows that she was in the wrong, i agree in speed cameras but why hide them, as alot of people are saying its so they can get money of the public, and i think its working
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my mum knows that she was in the wrong, i agree in speed cameras but why hide them, as alot of people are saying its so they can get money of the public, and i think its working
I believe that legally the police must post signs to say that speed cameras are in operation.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
66.67%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (1)
33.33%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads