Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Extra Consideration for Mature Students? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do "mature" (21+) students get more consideration from Universities than stereotypical students (18 - 20)?

Every prospectus I have read says that mature students are considered on an individual basis, they look at personal circumstances that may affect final grades, is this true? And do you think this is fair?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose many mature students may have family committments, work committments, more so than a younger student. I have noticed that mature students are alot more willing to work, and will try sososo hard!!! And, some mature students havent been in education for years, so maybe universities feel they need a little more guidance.

ReputationRep:
    I applied as a mature student and I'm starting at Bristol University in a few weeks time, but I also had the A-level grades and several years relevant work experience so I don't think I was given any special consideration, and wouldn't expect it.
    I think it mostly depends on the student's life history and experience. For some of the older mature students, it may be the case that there was no opportunity for them to take O-levels/GCSE/A-levels or to go to university when they were 18. A few years back my mum took a psychology degree with relatively high entry requirements, she had only taken one A-level in psychology at an evening class. They accepted her as she had been working in mental health nursing for about 18 years beforehand. She went to a school where only the top 5 boys in the class were allowed to take science subjects at O-level, and girls were expected to study things like art and "home economics"!

I could also add that mature students don't ever go out, get drunk and do stupid things...but that would be a lie! The only difference is that we've had more practice, the young'uns are just amateurs.

ReputationRep:
    The issue about mature students is that they may not have the currently relevant academic qualifications that younger students have, but they often have extensive practical experience form the field of work that qualifies them for a place on a degree course. Or they might have qualifications that were relevant when they left school but are not now.

Most mature students are interviewed before being offered a place, even in departments that don't normally interview applicants, so they have to impress at that stage of the application process.

Mature students do have different problems dure to the fact they're older-so they're more likely to have childcare responsibilities, be part of a family unit that requires constant daily interaction, have older relatives with all the associated factors.

Incidentally it's true 'that mature students don't ever go out, get drunk and do stupid things...but that would be a lie! The only difference is that we've had more practice, the young'uns are just amateurs.'

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20. I did an access course last year when I was 19. I think Access was orignally intended for 21+ adults. The University took me on as a mature student . But I didn't get any extra consideration or anything. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Kangaroo)
    Do "mature" (21+) students get more consideration from Universities than stereotypical students (18 - 20)?

Every prospectus I have read says that mature students are considered on an individual basis, they look at personal circumstances that may affect final grades, is this true? And do you think this is fair?
    Yes, I think it's fair. Many mature students have life experience, and no amount of time at Uni can give you that! Also, I'd like to see an 18 year old come out of school with 3 A grade A-Levels if they also had 4 children to look after, a house to run or a job to hld down...

Whether they get 'anymore consideration than non-matures' depends upon both the course and Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah all the unis I applied to said they especially welcomed mature applicants but I don't know how you'd ever gauge that (especially as 5 out of my 6 rejected me lol).

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.