Who got an offer from Oxbridge but is worrying about the A-level results? Watch

This discussion is closed.
charles
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
The requirement for Oxbridge study is normally 3As. Are we all sure that we can get it?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cambridge mathematicians have alot more to worry about with STEP :P

But yes, I'm already getting anxious as to how it can all go wrong now. I can't believe myself really, I never expected the offer in a million years, a couple of weeks ago I saw it as a case of getting the offer and everything else being easy as pie, now the offer seems like the easy bit. Of course, I know better to than complain, and just be so so greatful for the it=P

Does anybody know if Kings asked for STEP this year?
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am very worried about not making the grades!!!!!
Goat
Report 15 years ago
What do oxbridge do if someone doesnt make the grades? Do they offer a place to someone they rejected?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
What do oxbridge do if someone doesnt make the grades? Do they offer a place to someone they rejected?
No, they make more offers than places they have, so if someone misses the grade then that's that.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Goat)

No, I think they make more offers than places in the first place. This is done to take into account those who hold an offer but dont make the grades. So in the end they hope that it works out well for them....although I remember reading about a college who got into trouble cos more people made the grades than expected.......
Goat
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
No, I think they make more offers than places in the first place. This is done to take into account those who hold an offer but dont make the grades. So in the end they hope that it works out well for them....although I remember reading about a college who got into trouble cos more people made the grades than expected.......
Yeah that must happen alot. Its difficult to know if someone is going to make the grades or not.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is a mini-summer pool where people who narrowly miss their grade requirements can be taken in by another college. I don't know statistically how much this happens but I know quite a few people who have had this happen.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by charles)
The requirement for Oxbridge study is normally 3As. Are we all sure that we can get it?
I got an offer for 7 7 6 at High level IB and 39 points total. LAst semester I had 34 points total, go figure if Im nervous...
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i have an offer for AAB. in my AS levels for those subjects i had ABB (gave up my other 'A') so yeh im NERVOUS!!!!!
leda swanson
Report 15 years ago
i got an AAA offer and was slightly stressed about this -didn't want to rejoice too early- so went to see my head of 6th form today and as he explained there really is no reason at all to imagine 3 As is hard to achieve. that is, if you did well in your AS levels. i got pretty nigh 100% in them across the board, so this means i need only get about 60% at A2 to get a secure A. in history for example if i get more than 70% in the january module and a low A in coursework i can get an A overall even if i only get 20% in the synoptic paper in july... the college i'm going to asked for my AS module results... they must be able to tell who is likely to make the grades from these results
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm in pretty much the same position as you, leda. For the subjects they want As in I got 2 100% and a 98%. Plus my mocks for my January exams are around 90%. So I could be left needing 45% in each of the June exams. Still, can't relax yet!

My parents are getting annoying about revision though - "Don't let it slip now". Aaarghhh!
leda swanson
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by androidkiller)
I'm in pretty much the same position as you, leda. For the subjects they want As in I got 2 100% and a 98%. Plus my mocks for my January exams are around 90%. So I could be left needing 45% in each of the June exams. Still, can't relax yet!

My parents are getting annoying about revision though - "Don't let it slip now". Aaarghhh!
what subject / college did you get a place at?
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Natural Sciences at Trinity Cambridge. What about you?

Its nice to know I'm not alone with those marks!
duffer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by charles)
Mines AAAB and i got AABB for AS so im worried. Hopefully, resits this week will help me push up a grade (fingers crossed).
ot209
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Cambridge mathematicians have alot more to worry about with STEP :P

But yes, I'm already getting anxious as to how it can all go wrong now. I can't believe myself really, I never expected the offer in a million years, a couple of weeks ago I saw it as a case of getting the offer and everything else being easy as pie, now the offer seems like the easy bit. Of course, I know better to than complain, and just be so so greatful for the it=P

Does anybody know if Kings asked for STEP this year?

King's's policy is not to use STEP for Maths applications.
I study Maths at King's.
The college is bloody useless at it.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why do oxbridge make EE offers?

i mean, if they did that, a person could just sign the papers and get those required points from the A Grade at AS Level carried over.

so technicall, they cud just stop studying with a guaranteed oxbridge place, but then they would really struggle on the uni work as they will have missed the modules etc. for the required subjects.

it seems silly, as it can just put students delighted to hav been given an EE offer into a trap of just chillin for the rest of the year......
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ot209)
King's's policy is not to use STEP for Maths applications.
I study Maths at King's.
The college is bloody useless at it.
It's just I heard they were going to bring it in this year or next, because of the competition to get into Kings. I hear they have around 3x as many applicants as other colleges for Maths, and that they make less offers per place than usual, because many more will make the offer.

Out of interest, why did you choose Kings? Was it to avoid STEP? Did you know about the increased difficulty in obtaining an offer?
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
why do oxbridge make EE offers?

i mean, if they did that, a person could just sign the papers and get those required points from the A Grade at AS Level carried over.

so technicall, they cud just stop studying with a guaranteed oxbridge place, but then they would really struggle on the uni work as they will have missed the modules etc. for the required subjects.

it seems silly, as it can just put students delighted to hav been given an EE offer into a trap of just chillin for the rest of the year......
They may do it if they want the student to
a) be less stressed
b) definitely accept them, some courses have very good alternatives, and giving an EE offer would probably attract people to put it as their first place.

And besides if they didn't do their modules then they wouldn't do very well when they got there and fail their first year exams and then it's byebye .
I expect most people who get an EE offer still get AAA/AAB or something high.

Alaric.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
They may do it if they want the student to
a) be less stressed
b) definitely accept them, some courses have very good alternatives, and giving an EE offer would probably attract people to put it as their first place.

And besides if they didn't do their modules then they wouldn't do very well when they got there and fail their first year exams and then it's byebye .
I expect most people who get an EE offer still get AAA/AAB or something high.

Alaric.
well some people would just sign the papers....it has been known.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (697)
80.48%
Leave (169)
19.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed