The Student Room Group
Reply 1
SirAlexander
I hate mechanics- giving me a headache!
This question is so elementary, I'm quite embarrassed asking this question, but please help!

A particle of mass 2kg is released from rest and slides 8m down a smooth plane inclined at 3030^{\circ} to the horizontal. There is a constant resistance force of 4N.

i. Find the work done by the resistance force.

I've drawn the diagram etc and I don't appear to get the answer that is in the book.

My workings are thus followed:

Work done = 4sin30 x 8
Work done =16

Where's the mistake- please help!

The answer in the book is 32. :frown:

Thank you!

Friction is acting parallel to the plane thus work done = FdX = 8 x 4 = 32m :smile:

Don't beat yourself up, mechanics is quite hard and sometimes there's a lot of very similar things in it, I still get MEGA stuck on ladder questions lol
Why the sin 30? It's acting paralel to the plane not at any angle to it
Reply 3
Consider F = ma to find the acceleration, and use that to find final velocity

once you have that, you should be able to find GPE (using trigonometry) and the Final KE (Using your value of v)

Then consider this formula

Initial(KE + PE) - Work Done by system = Final(KE + PE)
Reply 4
nicatre
Friction is acting parallel to the plane thus work done = FdX = 8 x 4 = 32m :smile:

matt2k8
Why the sin 30? It's acting paralel to the plane not at any angle to it

Thank you for your quick responses!
I've completely overlooked that and have overcomplicated the question!
How am I going to cope in the exam!

Thanks again!
x
Reply 5
O93
Consider F = ma to find the acceleration, and use that to find final velocity

once you have that, you should be able to find GPE (using trigonometry) and the Final KE (Using your value of v)

Then consider this formula

Initial(KE + PE) - Work Done by system = Final(KE + PE)

Thanks for this! I think I need to use this for the next question! :P

x
Reply 6
SirAlexander
Thanks for this! I think I need to use this for the next question! :P

x

Yeah mine is a needless to say a lot more of a larger method - ill give you the full formula, as the work done to the system wasn't needed

Initial (KE + PE) + Work Done to System - Work Done by System = Final(KE + PE)
The best way to deal with work done questions is to draw a rough diagram of the situation with all the forces that are gonna do work, then write them down and tick them off as they have been taken into account in the calculation :smile: I used to try and do it without any kind of diagram at all and it always led to disaster haha

Latest