The Student Room Group

Applying for both Medicine and Pharmacy (2011 entry) - personal statement?

Hi,

This year (i.e. for 2010 entry) I applied for medicine and was rejected from all of my choices. I also applied for biomedical sciences, but chose to reject the offer I received as I didn't want to study this course. For next year (i.e. 2011 entry), I wish to apply again for medicine, but I don't know what to choose as a reserve choice (as I'll most likely have to accept that if I don't get into a medical course this time round).

I am toying with the idea of applying for pharmacy as my reserve, as I am also interested in this area of healthcare. I was wondering how easy it would be to tailor a personal statement for both courses and whether pharmacy schools mind that much if medical applicants apply for an MPharm.

I am predicted AAA this summer in Chemistry, Biology and French and have been told by both my Biology and French teachers that it is possible for me to get an A* in both of these subjects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

C-Dav
Reply 1
Write it for Medicine and just apply for Pharmacy. There's no need to mention any pharmacy related stuff in the PS for your back up, they will understand that you have put it as a reserve choice.
LSOP accept quite a lot of medicine and dental applicants, and are quite understanding at the interviews.
Reply 2
C-Dav
Hi,

This year (i.e. for 2010 entry) I applied for medicine and was rejected from all of my choices. I also applied for biomedical sciences, but chose to reject the offer I received as I didn't want to study this course. For next year (i.e. 2011 entry), I wish to apply again for medicine, but I don't know what to choose as a reserve choice (as I'll most likely have to accept that if I don't get into a medical course this time round).

I am toying with the idea of applying for pharmacy as my reserve, as I am also interested in this area of healthcare. I was wondering how easy it would be to tailor a personal statement for both courses and whether pharmacy schools mind that much if medical applicants apply for an MPharm.

I am predicted AAA this summer in Chemistry, Biology and French and have been told by both my Biology and French teachers that it is possible for me to get an A* in both of these subjects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

C-Dav

I personally had a completely medically orientated personal statement and got an interview and an offer from LSOP. :yep:

I wrote to them in an e-mail offering to write a personal statement just for pharmacy and they said okay so I sent them a full extra personal statement outlining my desire to become a pharmacist.
Reply 3
Thanks to both of you for your help - I was worried that they'd look at me unfavourably if I had a medical PS for a pharmacy course, but thanks Fusilero for clearing that up :smile:
Original post by Fusilero
I personally had a completely medically orientated personal statement and got an interview and an offer from LSOP. :yep:

I wrote to them in an e-mail offering to write a personal statement just for pharmacy and they said okay so I sent them a full extra personal statement outlining my desire to become a pharmacist.

hi,
i've got this problem too. Did u mention to the university why u are writing a separate PS? did u say that ur other one through UCAS is directed to medicine?

Thanks so much if u can answer...it'll help me alot :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by over9o0o
Write it for Medicine and just apply for Pharmacy. There's no need to mention any pharmacy related stuff in the PS for your back up, they will understand that you have put it as a reserve choice.
LSOP accept quite a lot of medicine and dental applicants, and are quite understanding at the interviews.

This helped me a lot as I was about to trash my original personal statement because i thought it was too medicine oriented.

Latest

Trending

Trending