Rejected From Oxbridge, But Successful! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Specialheffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, just wondering of those who was rejected from Oxbridge and went to another university... do you regret not reapplying, are you enjoy yrself and any more sort of things?

(I was not accepted from the pool, but going to UCL! yay!)

Thanks all...xxx
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Specialheffa)
Hi, just wondering of those who was rejected from Oxbridge and went to another university... do you regret not reapplying, are you enjoy yrself and any more sort of things?

Thanks all...xxx
hmm its bizarre, before i even went for my interview i always had nottingham above cambridge in my preferences(much to my parents dislike ), but some how after being pooled and rejected it became a much bigger deal, they were my only rejection and it bugged me.. then after getting my results my mum basically said to me you have the grades, why not re-apply?

but you may find like me that by that time you'll be so psyched up for going to uni that the idea of another year with your parents and just working does not appeal, i carried on with notts and have to say i'm loving it much more than i expected

i have realised now that when it came to have my normal one essay a week i was annoyed and so really doubt i could have coped with two, well i could have coped but wouldn't have been able to go out so much hehe

i really don't think its worth that much in the long term, i've got three 1st and a 2.1 for the essays i've had back so far so i'm quite confident for applying for postgrad really

nottingham is much better for me i think

just some thoughts, i've been fascinated by reading about you guys though, routing for random people i've never met, some part of me does wish i could have had a letter this year ah well
Hades
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
just some thoughts, i've been fascinated by reading about you guys though, routing for random people i've never met, some part of me does wish i could have had a letter this year ah well
Me too! It's all a bit dramatic isn't it? I'm weird in the sense that I was one of the Oxbridge applicants at my school, but then I pulled out on the day before the deadline! All because I thought my personal statement was awful, and that it wasn't worth me risking all my other university places as Oxbridge is quite obviously a bit of a gamble! But, I have been keeping up to date with my friends' progress (most of them got in, which I'm chuffed about ) and also its interesting reading about the progress of people on this forum, everyone is in it together really and yeah...well done for notts and ucl, you two
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was made an offer by Oxford and failed to achive the AAA they wanted. I am now at Essex and am really enjoying it.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got rejected from Cambridge, but it wasn't one of favourites tbh. I'm at Birmingham and couldn't be happier.
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Specialheffa)

Thanks all...xxx
wot subject did u apply for?
Specialheffa
Rep:
?
(Original post by s-man)
wot subject did u apply for?
I applied for English..
Specialheffa
Rep:
?
(Original post by rah)
hmm its bizarre, before i even went for my interview i always had nottingham above cambridge in my preferences(much to my parents dislike ), but some how after being pooled and rejected it became a much bigger deal, they were my only rejection and it bugged me.. then after getting my results my mum basically said to me you have the grades, why not re-apply?

but you may find like me that by that time you'll be so psyched up for going to uni that the idea of another year with your parents and just working does not appeal, i carried on with notts and have to say i'm loving it much more than i expected

i have realised now that when it came to have my normal one essay a week i was annoyed and so really doubt i could have coped with two, well i could have coped but wouldn't have been able to go out so much hehe

i really don't think its worth that much in the long term, i've got three 1st and a 2.1 for the essays i've had back so far so i'm quite confident for applying for postgrad really

nottingham is much better for me i think

That's the same for me. As the date was getting closer to the acceptance/rejection letter, i was more concerned about getting UCL's offer, and would prefer going there. Unbelievably, i said to my teachers even if i had got an offer i really would have thought and considered it hard...

Ah well, gald your enjoying yrself! I can't wait!
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd never have a hope in hell about getting to Oxbridge; however I don't really care because I know I'd hate it; I like it very much here in Manchester thank you very much.
lyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i didnt apply to oxbridge (or indeed any unis that required interviews) because at the time, i had a pathological fear of interviews.

got into my first choice of LSE to study law and last year, got a training contract at a City law firm whose trainees come from a mix of good universities (oxbridge, ucl etc etc). so if you were to define "successful" in terms of job prospects, then i suppose my prospects weren't harmed very much by not going to oxbridge.
Saxman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got rejected by Cambridge for Economics, and ended up at Warwick. Academically I do not think the difference is that vast, so in that respect I am happy. Indeed I think my chances of getting a first at Warwick is probably a lot higher. Incidentally I applied for a summer placement last year at the Bank of England and of the two places avaliable they both went to non-Oxbridge applicants (myself and another).

However having been in a rather insulated enviroment at public school, I think I would have probably fitted in better at Oxbridge. Warwick is really nice, and I know this sounds snobbish, but I find it really hard to relate to a lot of the state-school students and international students, and most of the friends I have made tend to be from public schools.
Still I guess it is making me a more rounded individual, and I certainly have more time to do other things than work at Warwick.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Quote:

hey i dont no how to do the quote thing being a noob, but wat course r u applying for? im going to ucl as well!!! and also got rejected from cambridge but iv recovered from that. im going to do economics.
Saxman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, I really regret not reapplying as I would have probably had a good chance of getting in, having gotten 8 A*s at GCSE and 3 very high As at A-level.

The problem was I was just so desperate to get to university (partly motivated by the fact that my school was an all boys school and I was eager to meet some women) and had not real desire for a boring gap year job so I just settled for Warwick. For some strange reason none of my teachers or parents even suggested reapplying. Sometimes I wonder what things would have been like if I had reapplied and was now at Cambridge or Oxford, but I am sure some day in the future I will look back and be grateful I did make the decision I did.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (1)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (1)
50%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads