This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Nottingham, Warwick, Durham, Bath, York.

For Maths.

Nottingham, I dont know much about Nottingham but it seems like the entire world wants to go there and I'm a sheep.
Warwick, good for Maths, but perhaps seen as a league down from Notts, also, a little ugly.
Durham, pretty, Grey seems like a brilliant college where I think I'd have alot of fun, but seems to be seen with a little cynicism, and uninteresting course.
Bath, renowned for Maths apparently, very far away though, and quite frankly I didn't like the people there :P
York, nicest people ever, nicest campus ever, but not so confident the course will give me everything I'm after.

Which would you choose and why?
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Nottingham, Warwick, Durham, Bath, York.

For Maths.

Nottingham, I dont know much about Nottingham but it seems like the entire world wants to go there and I'm a sheep.
Warwick, good for Maths, but perhaps seen as a league down from Notts, also, a little ugly.
Durham, pretty, Grey seems like a brilliant college where I think I'd have alot of fun, but seems to be seen with a little cynicism, and uninteresting course.
Bath, renowned for Maths apparently, very far away though, and quite frankly I didn't like the people there :P
York, nicest people ever, nicest campus ever, but not so confident the course will give me everything I'm after.

Which would you choose and why?
what do you want?

social life-nottingham
reputation for maths-bath(i agree about the people comment, it had a weird atmosphere) or warwick(nice place actually but kinda boring)
pretty-york, durham or notts, of these it must be noted that york has something like 4/5 clubs and durham has 3, big downpoint for me but it might not be for you

all of them are great, academic uni's, i think it will have to come down to personal preference and which of the courses actually suits you, have you visited them all?

this post really didnt help did it? ah well..
azz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nottingham is a great city and the uni has a brilliant reputation and campass which, in my opinion, is at least one of the best, if not the best, in the country. if i didn't live here it'd definitely be my first choice.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hard choice but drop Durham.......seems like the weakest from the list. I personally don't think Warwick is ugly either and its not a league down from Nottingham as Warwick is academically stronger and Nottingham is losing it. but no doubt notts is a very popular uni that most people would die to go to and receive an offer from. having said that and notts being my 1st offer..........i don't think its a big deal, i'm not ecstatic bout it, lol.
Goat
Report 16 years ago
According to the times, Durham is 26th for Maths, so I would also drop that one.

I'd go for Bath as it has the best reputation for maths. (Or Nottingham if you'd prefer better nightlife.
Goat
Report 16 years ago
The list is here if your interested.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

Dont just basse you choice on that though!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by rah)
what do you want?

social life-nottingham
reputation for maths-bath(i agree about the people comment, it had a weird atmosphere) or warwick(nice place actually but kinda boring)
pretty-york, durham or notts, of these it must be noted that york has something like 4/5 clubs and durham has 3, big downpoint for me but it might not be for you

all of them are great, academic uni's, i think it will have to come down to personal preference and which of the courses actually suits you, have you visited them all?

this post really didnt help did it? ah well..
I'm not so interested in social life, or at least it's not my priority, though the lack of in Durham kind of puts me off. I'd find myself way too cynical in the Nottingham social scene. So somewhere in between.

I've visited all but Warwick, as I said I liked the atmosphere and campus at York, but I want a course with a reputation, and one that will challenge me.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by azz)
nottingham is a great city and the uni has a brilliant reputation and campass which, in my opinion, is at least one of the best, if not the best, in the country. if i didn't live here it'd definitely be my first choice.
The reputation of Nottingham is what tempts me, I also hear it's very pretty. Can Notts offer me a top class Maths course though? Are mathematicians going to say "Ah, nottingham." like they might say "Ah, warwick?"
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by wonkey)
Hard choice but drop Durham.......seems like the weakest from the list. I personally don't think Warwick is ugly either and its not a league down from Nottingham as Warwick is academically stronger and Nottingham is losing it. but no doubt notts is a very popular uni that most people would die to go to and receive an offer from. having said that and notts being my 1st offer..........i don't think its a big deal, i'm not ecstatic bout it, lol.
Okay, Durham's out, no huge yearning to go there.

I suppose Warwick is quite pretty between that Gibbert Hill place and the main campus, and Warwick is generally prettier than Bath.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The reputation of Nottingham is what tempts me, I also hear it's very pretty. Can Notts offer me a top class Maths course though? Are mathematicians going to say "Ah, nottingham." like they might say "Ah, warwick?"
Me personally, I would place Bath as my insurance offer. Purely because of its reputation with mathematicians.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hmm..i wouldn't imagine so. but then if thats what you want then bath should be your definite choice to be honest..
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goat)
According to the times, Durham is 26th for Maths, so I would also drop that one.

I'd go for Bath as it has the best reputation for maths. (Or Nottingham if you'd prefer better nightlife.
Bath, I don't understand, I've never heard of Bath producing famous mathematicians, or the Bath course being particularly good. Yet it's still the top of all these tables. I don't mean to offend, but the people I met studying at Bath didn't seem so interested in their subject, and it didn't seem they were being too stretched by it. Bath does have some nice accomodation, and the town is nice though.

Meh, I think it's between Bath/Warwick, still considering Notts.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Me personally, I would place Bath as my insurance offer. Purely because of its reputation with mathematicians.
Something I've completely missed out on. :/
Goat
Report 16 years ago
I really liked Warwick when I went up for an open day.

If I dont get an offer from Cambridge it will definately be my firm choice, or if I do it will be my insurance.

It has a really large SU building with loads of different types of music playing in different sections.

Ive applied for Computer Science though which Warwick has a better reputation for. For Maths i'd go for Bath. You should visit Warwick though and see if you like it!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by rah)
hmm..i wouldn't imagine so. but then if thats what you want then bath should be your definite choice to be honest..
Okay, just to play devil's advocate, say I was to argue that Warwick is better because they're more selective with their intake (STEP) and have a more rigorous exam system, as well as an international reputation for their research, attracting some of the best staff in the world.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goat)
I really liked Warwick when I went up for an open day.

If I dont get an offer from Cambridge it will definately be my firm choice, or if I do it will be my insurance.

It has a really large SU building with loads of different types of music playing in different sections.

Ive applied for Computer Science though which Warwick has a better reputation for. For Maths i'd go for Bath. You should visit Warwick though and see if you like it!
Warwick SU is cool, although let's face it what else can you do on such a remote campus, or even in Coventry? :P

I have had a look around, and it's good, liked the dept, and the accomodation, some of the buildings are ugly though. Nicer atmosphere than most.

Why would you say Bath for maths?
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if nightlife isn't ur priority...........u must choose warwick. u just can't go wrong......Bath is good too. U really should visit warwick........u might feel u can really c urself there like i did......but u might find its a bit isolated from anywhere.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Warwick SU is cool, although let's face it what else can you do on such a remote campus, or even in Coventry? :P

I have had a look around, and it's good, liked the dept, and the accomodation, some of the buildings are ugly though. Nicer atmosphere than most.

Why would you say Bath for maths?
sorry, i didn't realise u had seen warwick......wots warwick asking for ? and wots Bath asking for? cos if they're both the same grades u can only choose one as firm and another uni as insurance.....but if one is higher than the other........u can have both but that still leaves u with the prob of deciding which 1st and which 2nd
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by wonkey)
sorry, i didn't realise u had seen warwick......wots warwick asking for ? and wots Bath asking for? cos if they're both the same grades u can only choose one as firm and another uni as insurance.....but if one is higher than the other........u can have both but that still leaves u with the prob of deciding which 1st and which 2nd
I'm fortunate enough to be choosing Cambridge as first, so I just need to choose one as insurance. Both Warwick and Bath can be secured with AAB.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm fortunate enough to be choosing Cambridge as first, so I just need to choose one as insurance. Both Warwick and Bath can be secured with AAB.
lol, yeah i've just realised how stupid i am for not reading the title of ur thread. i'm so sorry. congrats on camb.........u can clearly get the grades to make it to camb, so don't stress too much over insurance, lol. go for warwick.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (477)
59.4%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.35%
No- I want it (230)
28.64%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.6%

Watched Threads