Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    lol, yeah i've just realised how stupid i am for not reading the title of ur thread. i'm so sorry. congrats on camb.........u can clearly get the grades to make it to camb, so don't stress too much over insurance, lol. go for warwick.
    Cheers. Warwick it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Cheers. Warwick it is
    good choice

ReputationRep:
    I agree, good choice!

ReputationRep:
    Bath, I don't understand, I've never heard of Bath producing famous mathematicians, or the Bath course being particularly good. Yet it's still the top of all these tables. I don't mean to offend, but the people I met studying at Bath didn't seem so interested in their subject, and it didn't seem they were being too stretched by it. Bath does have some nice accomodation, and the town is nice though.

Meh, I think it's between Bath/Warwick, still considering Notts.
    I believe the Maths course at Bath has some of the most able maths students so perhaps that is why you perceived they did not seem too stretched (although that is not a very valid observation if it was based on a transistory visit!) Another reason for their apparent ease of coping is that perhaps their tutors are very good at teaching.
    It may interest you also to know that Bath is one of only four universities in Britain that teach a traditional Maths course along with Birmingham, Cambridge and St. Andrews. (Note also that Bath and Birmingham Maths deparments are the only 2 in the country to get maximum score on teaching - could that be due to traditional courses?)
    It might be interesting to check how these 4 unis do in the subject tables in The Times.

ReputationRep:
    How interesting - I've just done as I suggested and checked rankings of those 4 unis with traditional Maths courses and guess what? They are the top 4!
    So - go for uni that has traditional Maths course!

ReputationRep:
    Which basicaly translates to as Bath University, dont they have a good rugby team? lol.

ReputationRep:
    2 of my housemates last year both studied maths here at Notts - they seemed to rate the course quite highly.

ReputationRep:
    If i get an offer from either lse or warwick, then my insurance is going to be nottingham aswell, Ive heard good stuff abt it from a lot of ppl, I live in Dubai and its rated very highly all the way down here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HasanB)
    If i get an offer from either lse or warwick, then my insurance is going to be nottingham aswell, Ive heard good stuff abt it from a lot of ppl, I live in Dubai and its rated very highly all the way down here.
    Nottingham is great (as I keep saying)

But be careful of putting it as an insurance - you're unlikely to get your first choice of accommodation and they won't actually guarantee you university accommodation at all. There are a lot of houses to rent nearby, however, and the uni are good at helping people find somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I believe the Maths course at Bath has some of the most able maths students so perhaps that is why you perceived they did not seem too stretched (although that is not a very valid observation if it was based on a transistory visit!) Another reason for their apparent ease of coping is that perhaps their tutors are very good at teaching.
    It may interest you also to know that Bath is one of only four universities in Britain that teach a traditional Maths course along with Birmingham, Cambridge and St. Andrews. (Note also that Bath and Birmingham Maths deparments are the only 2 in the country to get maximum score on teaching - could that be due to traditional courses?)
    It might be interesting to check how these 4 unis do in the subject tables in The Times.
    fishpaste - before you make a decision see this post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    Nottingham is great (as I keep saying)

But be careful of putting it as an insurance - you're unlikely to get your first choice of accommodation and they won't actually guarantee you university accommodation at all. There are a lot of houses to rent nearby, however, and the uni are good at helping people find somewhere.
    -----------------------------

does it matter at all that im an international student, or is it that they jus dont give preference to u for accomodation if u put them as an insurance offer. cos i wanted to stay in the university dorms for the first year, if i do get an offer from lse or sumthing its probably gonna be AAA and im not sure ill be able to get that so im probably goin to end up at notts ... accomodation may be a problem though ....

ReputationRep:
    Bath, I don't understand, I've never heard of Bath producing famous mathematicians, or the Bath course being particularly good. Yet it's still the top of all these tables. I don't mean to offend, but the people I met studying at Bath didn't seem so interested in their subject, and it didn't seem they were being too stretched by it. Bath does have some nice accomodation, and the town is nice though.

Meh, I think it's between Bath/Warwick, still considering Notts.
    To be honest - I felt the same about the people I met at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd chose Bath.

Oh wait..... I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I actually mean it.

I know I didn't meet that many people at Trinity, but those who I did seemed more willing to talk about the social life than the course (which was my main priority).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I actually mean it.

I know I didn't meet that many people at Trinity, but those who I did seemed more willing to talk about the social life than the course (which was my main priority).
    I am sure you meant it! My was just a representation of my actual reaction to the post. T'is sad but true, that the course is not at the forefront of many a decision.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.