Help needed on career pathway healthcare of some kind Watch

This discussion is closed.
Spurs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ive tried going to careers advisors and it did nothing but waste my time. I have a strong desire to help people and was considering medicine but after my as-level results and i got a D in chemistry obviously that is no longer an option, however i still have a strong desire to go into some sort of healthcare profession. I also want a job that will pay fairly well, i know that sounds sad as the whole point is i want to help people but i want a job which will bring out the best of my abilities. I am taking through Biology which is the subject i enjoy the most, along with geography and history through to A2 level. And would apreciate any sugestions on what careers might fit the bill and what payscale tends to be.

Thankyou
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
why is medicine not an option?

If you think that a D was a fair mark of you ability, then fair enough, if not I've seen people turn AS Chem d grades to A or B grades come A2 and sucessfully float off to the fab world of medicine...

Having said that - if you were going into medicine for money, perhaps look at a different career altogether.
Spurs
Rep:
?
D is not a fair reflection of my ability in chemistry, however i do not feel it is an option to up my grade to an A/B at A2 level, its a difficult subject and even the best people at chemistry at my college seemed to only just scrape a B at AS level and along with this i didnt get along with the teachers. Therefore i dont think its a option to do medicine any more inless i apply as a grad after a relevant degree course. Dont get me wrong i want to work hard and i want to help people and by no means is the reason money.
Spurs
Rep:
?
Ahh well guess i'm not cut out for dentistry or medicine. At least not for 06 entry now, any idea how hard it is to get into the courses as a graduate? and what degree would need to be taken to make this an option?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by redcrewe)
, any idea how hard it is to get into the courses as a graduate? and what degree would need to be taken to make this an option?
Much harder than school level entry - on average 50-60 applicants per place.

Have a look around on: http://www.freewebs.com/graduatemedicine/

Fluffy - graduate reading medicine.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.86%
No (661)
60.81%
Not really bothered about them (221)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise