Reading Festival - start time Watch

Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm going there on the Friday to see the legends that are Queens of the Stone Age, Biffy Clyro, Lostprophets, NOFX and Billy Talent :love:

My question is how early in the day do bands usually start to play, for booking the trains and that. Considering this is the first day of the festival.
crowsy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you can get into the arena from 11am, bands usually start at 11.30

that's for leeds, but i reckon reading is the same

i would imagine you can be there earlier though but i'm not sure if you'd want to be there much earlier, idunno-unless you are planning on drinking oneself into oblivion
oaktrees
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am not going to lie, I would leave yourself plenty of time to get into Reading and then walk from the station to the festival site. It is a long ish walk and Reading is always HEAVING over the weekend as you can imagine. And the station is usually pretty busy. Also it will probably take you a while to actually get into the festival site, so yeah, allow lots of time for queuing and walking behind people who are ambling along like snails!
Arekkusu
Rep:
?
9:25 will probably be OK then, right? I'm increasingly tempted just to drive the car down and turn it into an epic road trip tbh.
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
See you there although weekend ticket :love:
Arekkusu
Rep:
?
Also, could anyone tell me what time of night the day ticket expires?
Arekkusu
Rep:
?
And do they allow you to bring in stuff like alcohol? Christ, all these spammy questions.
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your day ticket theoretically should finish at 00:00, and the day's headliner will also finish around 11.30. However, you can still remain within the campsite unofficially. So if you've friends there you can hang with them until the following morning if you wish. Of course, on the day following the day of your ticket, you won't be able to re-enter the music arena although you will still be able to remain in the campsite until you chose to leave.

Yes, you can bring in alcohol if you're over 18 or if you're under 18 so long as you're not searched. You may well be searched though. However, you can only bring it into the campsite and not the arena. Personally, if I was going for the day I'd bring some sort of spirit mix in a small plastic bottle and hide it up sleeve/fold of my hoodie/etc and sneak it into the arena. Basically, as you go between the campsite and the arena, there'll be one guy who checks your wrist band so it's quite easy to sneak a small bottle in. And if you get caught, it's not the end of the world as you'll just have to leave it behind.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Word from the organisers is that they will be IDing people on the door, so if you are under 18 dont attempt to walk in carrying a crate.
ChrisBan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Word from the organisers is that they will be IDing people on the door, so if you are under 18 dont attempt to walk in carrying a crate.
They did this last year so it wouldn't surprise me. The white entrance had quite a nice stash of confiscated alcohol
oaktrees
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am looking forward to my over 18s wristband this year

But yeah, I reckon they will ID people, but stupid to not do it and then get caught out.
Arekkusu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
Your day ticket theoretically should finish at 00:00, and the day's headliner will also finish around 11.30. However, you can still remain within the campsite unofficially. So if you've friends there you can hang with them until the following morning if you wish. Of course, on the day following the day of your ticket, you won't be able to re-enter the music arena although you will still be able to remain in the campsite until you chose to leave.

Yes, you can bring in alcohol if you're over 18 or if you're under 18 so long as you're not searched. You may well be searched though. However, you can only bring it into the campsite and not the arena. Personally, if I was going for the day I'd bring some sort of spirit mix in a small plastic bottle and hide it up sleeve/fold of my hoodie/etc and sneak it into the arena. Basically, as you go between the campsite and the arena, there'll be one guy who checks your wrist band so it's quite easy to sneak a small bottle in. And if you get caught, it's not the end of the world as you'll just have to leave it behind.
Thanks for your informative post. There's only two of us going, it was quite a last-minute decision. It's great news that you can hang in the campsite because the first train of the day doesn't go till like 5.

In light of that, are we allowed to bring a tent of our own despite only having the one-day ticket? If there was a camping surcharge, I didn't check the box.
ChrisBan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Arekkusu)
Thanks for your informative post. There's only two of us going, it was quite a last-minute decision. It's great news that you can hang in the campsite because the first train of the day doesn't go till like 5.

In light of that, are we allowed to bring a tent of our own despite only having the one-day ticket? If there was a camping surcharge, I didn't check the box.
My first thoughts are no. Your day ticket does not include camping, and I would assume that at wristband exchange you could be questioned why you have a tent with you for a day ticket. If you have anyone going who has a weekend ticket, just get them to take your tent with them and set up for you
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I agree with that. Plus, there won't really be any good spaces to put a tent up and you'll just end up wasting time looking for one instead of going into the music arena. If you've friends there go and hang with them until your train but otherwise, the campsite'll be pretty lively until at least 3am with people running around etc so you can still mess around.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (3)
10.34%
Disagree (3)
10.34%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
34.48%
Agree (6)
20.69%
Strongly Agree (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads