Turn on thread page Beta

Advice on AS retake/remark watch

ReputationRep:
    Well its a bit confusing.

I want to do English Lit at uni but got a B. I had 2 A's but got a C in one unit which really pulled it down. Although a B is a good mark I am definitely going to get it up to an A somehow because of my own pride and also because English is really competitive.

Here's the complication. I hoped to avoid putting that grade on my UCAS form if I could by asking for it to be uncreditted but then picking up the good units again and resitting the bad one. However my head of sixth form thinks this is a bad idea because not having Eng Lit AS down will look bad....I dont know whether that is true because i'm sure it would be put on as grage pending and they cant descriminate against me because not all schools have the AS grades certificated anyway....but hey I'll put that concern to one side for the moment....
    However having asked for the paper to be recalled it has arrived at school and my teacher has looked at it. He doesn't think it should be as low as it is, in his opinion its around a 14/15. If it is a 14 then I will have just got an A...but he is a new teacher that hasn't taught A level before so I dont know if that is very trustworthy.
    What I could do is have it remarked and then retake it to either get it up to that A or get a higher A. But if I have it remarked will I get it and possibly the new mark back before I do my UCAS form which I am hoping to do quite early? Also having it remarked means I will miss the window for declining my grade.

What should I do?
    -Trust in my teacher's abilities, have it remarked then possibly resit to improve the number of points for next year?
    - Dont risk missing the window to decline, decline the grade resit and risk it looking bad on my UCAS form?
    - Swallow my pride, put a B down on my UCAS form but carefully word in my school reference that my AS grade was lower than expected and I am resitting a unit? (But isn't that just highlighting that I wasn't good enough to get an A in the first place?)
    - Run away and join the circus?

Any help would be appreciated from anyone who knows anything about this. If you've actually managed to read all that and understand it then your doing better than I seem to be! peacenik :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peacenik)

What should I do?
    -Trust in my teacher's abilities, have it remarked then possibly resit to improve the number of points for next year?
    - Dont risk missing the window to decline, decline the grade resit and risk it looking bad on my UCAS form?
    - Swallow my pride, put a B down on my UCAS form but carefully word in my school reference that my AS grade was lower than expected and I am resitting a unit? (But isn't that just highlighting that I wasn't good enough to get an A in the first place?)
    - Run away and join the circus?
    Your head of sixth form is wrong, universities don't discriminate against you because your grade is not shown. Well at least this is the case for medicine. Many schools have a policy whereby they don't show any AS results at all, i.e. not cashed in.

I would get it remarked if I were you, it is a bit weird that you got 2 A's in 2 of the 3 units, and then got a C in the other unit. My friend in history got AAD in his units, got that D grade unit remarked and got an A for it. If you genuinely think you deserved better on that unit, then get it remarked, that is the whole purpose of remarking.

If you resit, that means that your grade will be decline anyway, therefore the grade will not show. I would remark, if its still rubbish, then retake. There's no harm in retaking as long as you complete that A-level within 2 years.

What do you mean by your school reference, your teacher reference? The teacher references can only contain positive stuff to aid you in getting your place.

Or.... you could join the circus

ReputationRep:
    Joining the circus seems the best answer.
    I've got to resit all of my biology papers, one of my french and i'm not to sure on my english lit.
    I thought i did alright in the exams but when the results came thru i was a bit disappointed (2 c's 1 e and 1 u)

ReputationRep:
    Infact I'm almost certain that they don't discriminate against declined grades. ANOTHER friend of mine applied for medicine with declined grades and he got into oxbridge. Anyway, why would schools who have a policy of decling grades if it risked the pupil's admission chances?

ReputationRep:
    They go more on your predicted grades and your personal statement than your actual achieved grades anyway. So many people don't do as well as they'd hope in their ASs that it would be ridiculous to judge primarily by those. So yeah, so long as your predicted grade is good they probably won't discriminate although I'm not an admissions tutor so can't be sure!

ReputationRep:
    I think what your head of sixth form might mean is that if you can cash in all of your grades except English, it will be obvious that you didn't do as well as you'd hoped in it and that might affect your chances. However, if you don't ask for any of your grades to be cashed in, universities can't discriminate against you becase some schools have a policy of not cashing in AS grades. Then you could have the paper remarked and if you don't get it back before you send off your UCAS form, ask your teacher to mention it in your reference. If the remark doesn't give you an A, resit the paper in January. Your predicted grade should be an A if your teacher believes it was a marking screw up, and if you decline you AS grades, predicted grades are all the universities will see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I think what your head of sixth form might mean is that if you can cash in all of your grades except English
    good point

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.