The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it was me (I've actually done this question in a past paper) I'd do Boscastle with the flood, because you can say how they covered the ground with tarmac meaning there was more surface run off and that they had narrowed the river channel. During is a tricky one but you could say that with all the cars being parked in the roads and the car parks they acted as a dam for the water, storing it behind and then releasing it altogether.
Reply 2
AquilaXenon
If it was me (I've actually done this question in a past paper) I'd do Boscastle with the flood, because you can say how they covered the ground with tarmac meaning there was more surface run off and that they had narrowed the river channel. During is a tricky one but you could say that with all the cars being parked in the roads and the car parks they acted as a dam for the water, storing it behind and then releasing it altogether.

thanks. but i was thinking of doin something like the kobe earthquake or hurricane katrina. is that advisable?

and i was also wondering what you would do for this question because i'm really struggling and if you've already done this exam paper then you have probably done this question :smile:

(9MARKS) for a natural hazard that you have studied:
a) state the natural hazard
b)using specific detail, describe the methods used to predict this hazard
c) how successful have these methods been
Well, I would definitely do Boscastle as hurricanes or earthquakes aren't affected themselves by human activity (their affects are).

And for the 2nd one, do hurricanes or volcanoes (volcanos are probs better). Ie. For hurricanes, using satellites to track early signs (NHC in Florida) and can warn. For volcanoes, you have gas emmissions of sulphur and co2 (kill trees and wildlife), earthquakes, lasers and tiltmeters measure the shape of the volcano (often have bulges) and ultrasound to measure movements of magma. Ground temp also changes (eg, ice melt) and sometimes, minierruptions occur. Past data can also be analysed (ie whether the volcano is dormant or active). And then you could say they are very successful and it means that evacuation can occur. eg. Mt St Helens 1980
Reply 4
thanks alot :smile:

struggling with workload of this
I only started revising today. -_-
Reply 6
Do not do kobe earthquake or katrina because they are OUTSIDE THE EU don't make the mistake hundreds will

As for the other question i would probably do mount st helens volcano. They ca predict by earthquakes, gas emissions, the shape of the mountain, ground temperature etc. They are quite successful, but it all depends on which ones you've studied in class
Reply 7
toadster
Do not do kobe earthquake or katrina because they are OUTSIDE THE EU don't make the mistake hundreds will

As for the other question i would probably do mount st helens volcano. They ca predict by earthquakes, gas emissions, the shape of the mountain, ground temperature etc. They are quite successful, but it all depends on which ones you've studied in class

i haven't studied any of them with my ****** teacher
really thanks for warning me about that because that would have been definte marks lost :smile: thanks a lot
Reply 8
if youve studied hurricane katrina couldnt you talk about satellite images to predict it?
Reply 9
toadster
if youve studied hurricane katrina couldnt you talk about satellite images to predict it?

yes but it was in the eu
Reply 10
MARKS) for a natural hazard that you have studied:

doesnt mention the EU anywhere does it?
Gosh there's so much to learn with Geography! I've learnt 11 case studies so far, and I truly feel like giving up, otherwise I may begin to forget the ones I have learnt! :frown:
Reply 12
toadster
MARKS) for a natural hazard that you have studied:

doesnt mention the EU anywhere does it?

i thought you was on about the first question

yh i would porbably do earthquakes or volcanoes or hurricanes for this.

by the way is a hurrican the same as a cyclone or are they different. i keep getting confused?
Reply 13
oh sorry
yeah they are the same it's just that different parts of the world call it different things - in america its hurricanes , in asia(i think) the'yre called cyclones
lal789
thanks. but i was thinking of doin something like the kobe earthquake or hurricane katrina. is that advisable?

and i was also wondering what you would do for this question because i'm really struggling and if you've already done this exam paper then you have probably done this question :smile:

(9MARKS) for a natural hazard that you have studied:

For this question my teacher told me to do Hurricane Katrina. She gave me a list of all of the case study questions since 2004 and then which case studies to use for it, which has helped to see which ones come up the most.
Reply 15
Reply 16
AquilaXenon
For this question my teacher told me to do Hurricane Katrina. She gave me a list of all of the case study questions since 2004 and then which case studies to use for it, which has helped to see which ones come up the most.

ok what about if it asks to choose any area: global, national, reigonal or local and:

choose an economic activity that is changing
with specific reference to detail describe and explain RECENT changes in your chosen economic activity
Reply 17
lal789
umm just wondering what i would write for this ocr question:

for a natural hazard within the EU:
a) name and locate the hazard
b) explain how the hazard was affected by human activity both before AND during the event

by the way its a 9mark question?

Is this OCR Geography A or B? :smile:
Reply 18
geography C lol
lal789
ok what about if it asks to choose any area: global, national, reigonal or local and:

choose an economic activity that is changing
with specific reference to detail describe and explain RECENT changes in your chosen economic activity

I've learnt about farming. So I would either talk about how farming has changed within the UK (ie. from subsides to diversification) or I could talk about how it's changed in Japan (small farms to hydroponics).

Latest

Trending

Trending