Urgent help!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
music_fan
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hi, can someone please offer me their opinion. i got an E in AS maths and was predicted a B! for c1 i got a u, c2 i got an E and for statistics i got a C, i have the option of resitin all of AS or to carry on to A2 and resit c1. i went to college today to sort timetable out and i need to decide by tomorrow which i want to do!

any advice would be appreciated
JohnC
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Do you enjoy maths?
How does that result compare to your others?
What are your aspirations after sixth form?
Do you think those results were genuinely reflective of your mathematical ability or a blip due to some other factors?
mysticboy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's hard to say but I think getting a U in C1 is a little extreme, as is getting an E in C2. If you got B's or C's in C1 and C2 I wouldn't be too bothered about a stats mark but seeing as, under the new A level, there are 4 "pure" (or core) based modules, doing badly in C1 and C2 indicates that you probably won't do so well in C3 and C4. Obviouesly you can ignore your predicted B grade now because you've attained an E. Either that's through an over-estimation on your teacher's part, a lack of work on your part or just terrible exam nerves.
As far as I see it, C1 and C2 deal with basic mathematical principles, but there is quite a large step up to C3 and C4 and whether you're a normal A level mathematician or an A grade further mathematician (which I am), we can all appreciate that there is a significant increase in difficulty in the modules. If you're having trouble with C1 and C2, how will you do when it really does get very hard?
On the old syllabus it wouldn't have mattered so much when you have 3 modules of applied to pull your mark up, but this time if you do badly in the pure work then thats 2/3 of your A level gone.
If you're going to put the effort in and work really hard this year then try and resit in January (C1, C2 and possibly S1 too) and see if those marks increase. Otherwise continuing to A2 may be a waste of time.

I'm sorry to be negative about this but I had to think long and hard about whether to do further maths this year after my AS grades last year and it wasn't an easy decision but my results were the opposite of yours: where I was doing badly in applied I also did very well in pure and as the new syllabus is weighted towards pure I decided to go for it and I got my two As.
Also take JohnC's valid questions into mind. If maths isn't going to help you (e.g. if you're going to study something not involving maths at uni or going into work) then maybe its time to end it now.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise