If You Got a Third Class Honours... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What would you do? Repeat undergrad?

I have a friend is going to get one. It's his fault he never worked. Having said that though he was suffering from depression, had bad experiances in the halls, lonely etc. I suggested to him to clear his mind and start over again if he was determined enough, because he had good a-levels etc but didn't work out for him this time. He's started to get his act together at the end of third year, got over 60 in some modules but it was too late by then.

So what do you think he should do? You couldn't get a job with it could you?
Einheri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it would be worse than having no degree at all to be honest, it suggests that you messed about for three years.
darigan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try to get a decent job and blag a place on some sort of postgrad course - Maybe a PG Cert, and use that to build up to an eventual decent masters. But, if he got a third at udergrad, than maybe uni ain't his thing
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it were possible I'd try to do a masters to cover up getting a third. I doubt I'd have to motivation to redo an undergrad.
littlechinagirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I''d personally do another undergraduate degree, I'm already doing a very specific vocational degree (primary education) and there is talk of teachers possibly needing at least a 2:2 in the future. I wouldn't want to be at a disadvantage if that happened.
Duckandthat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i wouldn't be able to afford to redo a whole undergrad degree so i'd just have to live with it.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To the people saying they'd repeat it: do you realise you'd pay full unsubsidised fees (~£12k per year I believe) and get no student loan? How would you afford it?
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
In fairness though costs aside if he went with the PG Cert/Msc it would take him almost as long, because he always have that third and I think he could only override it with another degree (2:1/1st).
turnand
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
See if McDonalds has any vacancies
sarahlousie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even if he did another degree wouldn't employers want to know what he was doing in the 3 years before that and then find out he had a third anyway.
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Alot actually rides on what your first degree score was when going for graduate positions. I think doing a second degree is a total waste of time. The best thing for him to do is apply to every decent position going and try and blag his way into a job.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend got a third class in law, and the world hasn't actually ended for him, oddly enough. He's got a decent job in the civil service, and he's doing absolutely fine.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would commit Seppuku.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend has a third class honours in law, and funnily enough, the world hasn't ended for him. He has a decent job in the civil service, and he's doing absolutely fine. He wishes he'd worked a little harder, sure - especially as he was only 3% away from a 2:2 - but he's quite happy with the way things have turned out in the end.
dsch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My father got a third. Don't. And if you do, reflect on it. Don't go through life making excuses for yourself.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People saying do a masters to make up for it, don't bother. A PG Masters is roughly 1 year and either teaches specific knowledge or has the student undertake a small research project. It doesn't at all make up for a poor undergraduate degree, which is typically 3 years and gives students the broad knowledge needed for the subject area; this is usually the content which can be applied to the widest variety of jobs. It's not a magic fix for poor performance at UG level.

Retaking the undergraduate degree is an option, but you'd need to be able to find what, £11k-£12k, because SF won't fund it.

Ultimately though, if he's been suffering from depression, lack of friends and so forth, then he should've put in for extenuating circumstances a while ago, and contacted the students' union or the university to get some help. It's the end of term now, and he'll really struggle to get anything done about it; it's too late, especially if he wanted help with 1st/2nd year marks.

The degree probably isn't worth much, but it's something he's going to have to work with. Carol Vorderman for example, only got a 3rd in every year of her Engineering degree at Cambridge, and we can safely say she's been successful. It's not a great certificate to hold, but it's not the end of the world; to some employer's it'll be better than nothing because you've acquired knowledge, and to others they'll look down on it because 40% isn't too difficult to get.
Antonious Block
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
To the people saying they'd repeat it: do you realise you'd pay full unsubsidised fees (~£12k per year I believe) and get no student loan? How would you afford it?
Is this true? I'm about to start reading my second undergraduate degree in september and I pay standard subsidised fees (£3290) and get the standard basic loan.
MagneticMeteor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
I would commit Seppuku.
My thoughts too. Illness/mental problems, but real problems, not saying 'I lonely, I has no mates', can be understandable. Getting into considerate debt and spending 3 years of life just to come out with like an E ? Bit pointless and stupid if you ask me...
OP's mate should now come to some conclusions and maybe tried his chances in the world of work ? University doesn't always turn out good for everyone. What is worst in such situation, making excuses for yourself and pretending that everything is cool
newman24x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
If it was possible I'd try to do a masters to cover up getting a third. I doubt I'd have to motivation to redo an undergrad.
Fixed :P
darigan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
In fairness though costs aside if he went with the PG Cert/Msc it would take him almost as long, because he always have that third and I think he could only override it with another degree (2:1/1st).
With costs aside, given his degree mark, it would prob take him as long to get a slow MSc as it would to do an undergrad, but at least the MSc is an MSc...

...and thats just considering it with costs aside (it will cost an eye wateringly high amount for him to do another undergrad)

What does he want to do with life?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.84%

Watched Threads