The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Buenos Aires is gay friendly :smile:
Reply 21
red_roadkill
Just because Naxalite's opinions might be backed by billions worldwide doesn't mean it's fair or reasonable. I do agree with you that our society often slates people with even the mildest of questioning views on homosexuality a little harshly. People of course are entitled to their opinions, but things cross the boundary of logic and coherence. Insinuating that homosexuality is an illness is plain insulting and totally without any evidence whatsoever to justify such a claim.

Wake up and open your eyes.

I continue to be baffled by people even questioning homosexuality, I don't see it as any problem whatsoever. To me, it's your sexuality, it's not a choice. You're gay/bi or straight. Whatever. Why should the causes matter? It exists. Get used to it.

With the utmost respect i strongly disagree with you. Whilst saying homosexuality is an illness lacks sensitivity, to question why people are gay and why they are not is a suitable debate topic which has been discussed many times before and not just on this board! To this day i havent been convinced by anyone that my views are wrong.

If someone is gay, get on with it and best of luck to them. Dont bother broadcasting it to the world more than it has been already. People like peter thatchell are the problem and i dont know by who or how but that guy is gonna get it one of these days!
Reply 22
anabelle
buenops Aires is gay friendly :smile:

so is SohoP and San FranciscoP
Reply 23
Apparently if convicted for 'Homosexuality' in Ethopia the sentence is 5 years imprisonment. How reasonable :rolleyes:
Reply 24
YaMahdi
so is SohoP and San FranciscoP

Sorry, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
(that happens if you type fast on a blurred keyboard)
Reply 25
anabelle ignore YaMahdi's corrections to your spelling, he was only mocking you. Everyone makes typing errors on TSR, apart from the whiny pedants.

From browsing the FCO website [I STILL am], it's quite disgusting to think that in some of these countries where homosexual men, in the privacy of a home, can be arrested and imprisoned for having concensual sex, yet a man who rapes his wife [which no doubt happens a lot in such rigid, strict societies] would probably get away with it. It makes me SO mad.
Reply 26
red_roadkill
Apologies in advance, this is ANOTHER homosexuality topic, don't post if you're bored of it!

Infact, I look on the Foreign Office website all the time because I find it very interesting [call me a geek....but I don't care], anyway, I was looking at the country profiles and was quite shocked by how many countries still regard homosexuality as an illegal offence. I looked under most countries [I have before today, not all in one go!] and I'd say about 3/4 of countries are either intolerant of homosexuality or it is illegal.

So, it got me thinking, say some time in the future I wanted to go on holiday to Jamaica for example with a partner, we probably wouldn't be allowed to share a bed in a hotel [well not according to the hotel]. Reading what I read on the FCO website makes me not want to visit a lot of countries I really would love to. I wouldn't really feel very comfortable. I do, obviously, appreciate that countries and cultures/attitudes differ, but I was truly shocked by how many countries were still so conservative.

Makes me feel lucky I was born into a relatively liberal society :frown:

Any thoughts?

So did I, and the FO also seems to want to open up dialogue with extremists who believe homosexuals should be murdered. For that matter, so does Ken Livingstone.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,1562363,00.html

"But behind the scenes he[an intelligence official] proposed developing 'messages aimed at more radicalised constituencies who are potential recruits to terrorism'. These radicals would not listen to the traditional calls 'for the Middle East to become a zone of peace and prosperity', said the intelligence officer. 'They might, however, listen to religious arguments about the nature of jihad, that, while anti-Western, eschew terrorism'"

'We certainly do not agree with Qaradawi's views on Israel and Iraq, but we have to recognise that they are not unusual or even exceptional among Muslims. In fact it is correct to say that these are views shared by a majority of Muslims in the Middle East and the UK. Refusing entry on these grounds would also open a Pandora's box in relation to entry clearance for others in the Muslim world.

'Excluding Qaradawi would give grist to AQ propaganda of a western vendetta against Muslims and would undermine Qaradawi's counter-terrorism messages. Qaradawi would be the first port of call when encouraging statements against terrorism and the killing of Muslim civilians in Iraq, as requested recently by Iraq Policy Unit. He has repeatedly and authoritatively condemned terrorist attacks -- after 9/11, Bali, Madrid, Beslan, the Bigley kidnapping and recently after the bombings in Qatar, as well as on other occasions. When Qaradawi was accused last year of justifying kidnappings and kidnappings of civilians in Iraq, particularly US civilians, he has firmly stated "I did not issue such a fatwa". In fact Qaradawi was widely reported as "vehemently opposed to kidnapping and killing innocent civilians" and "urged the release of four Italian and French individuals recently abducted in Iraq" (see Annex 1). We could not engage with Qaradawi on counter-terrorism or Iraq should there be a decision to exclude him from the UK'.

The message here is that we cant exclude Qaradawi because many Muslims support his position(worryingly), and we need him to denouce terror attacks even though he clearly supports them ideologically. The fear beaing a backlash from the Muslim community over Britains response to terrorism, as though they needed jusification to denouce murder of innocent people by fanatics. Cant see Britain lasting much longer with these idiots in power.
Reply 27
With the utmost respect i strongly disagree with you. Whilst saying islam is an illness lacks sensitivity, to question why people are muslim and why they are not is a suitable debate topic which has been discussed many times before and not just on this board! To this day i havent been convinced by anyone that my views are wrong.

If someone is muslim, get on with it and best of luck to them. Dont bother broadcasting it to the world more than it has been already. People like Iqbal Sacranie are the problem and i dont know by who or how but that guy is gonna get it one of these days!

A sidelight on the question...
Reply 28
Here we go:

Link
Reply 29
Weejimmie
A sidelight on the question...

Calling Islam an illness will have you arrested and prosecuted.
Reply 30
Wise One
Here we go:

Link

*gulps*

I can't believe that homosexuality can still attract the death penalty. It's a complete disgrace. I would refuse to visit such countries.
Reply 31
Male fruit flies put in a jar with the temperature slowly raised try mating with their own sex. A simple environmental change causes changes in their primitive brains.

Apply the same logic to Humans, expose a vunrable mind to environmntal changes and the results can be devastating (be it mental illnes, homosexuality etc).

Reduce the temperature back to normal and the fruit flies become heterosexual.

Perhaps an environment where homosexuality is deemd NOT right and sessions of therapy could turn a homosexual to a heterosexual...

I will perhaps do some research on this topic in the future.
Reply 32
Vienna
Calling Islam an illness will have you arrested and prosecuted.

And rightly so. Same with any other religion or race.
Reply 33
red_roadkill
*gulps*

I would refuse to visit such countries.

And i am sure they would miss you
Reply 34
Wise One
Here we go:

Link

*gulps*

I can't believe that homosexual marriages are alllowed in so many country's. It's a complete disgrace. I would refuse to visit such countries.
Reply 35
YaMahdi
And rightly so. Same with any other religion or race.

So being homosexual is an illness and youre free to express that opinion, but we cannot say the same of a religious ideology for fear of prosecution. I think that highlights everything wrong with Britain at the moment.
Reply 36
red_roadkill
Apologies in advance, this is ANOTHER homosexuality topic, don't post if you're bored of it!

Infact, I look on the Foreign Office website all the time because I find it very interesting [call me a geek....but I don't care], anyway, I was looking at the country profiles and was quite shocked by how many countries still regard homosexuality as an illegal offence. I looked under most countries [I have before today, not all in one go!] and I'd say about 3/4 of countries are either intolerant of homosexuality or it is illegal.

So, it got me thinking, say some time in the future I wanted to go on holiday to Jamaica for example with a partner, we probably wouldn't be allowed to share a bed in a hotel [well not according to the hotel]. Reading what I read on the FCO website makes me not want to visit a lot of countries I really would love to. I wouldn't really feel very comfortable. I do, obviously, appreciate that countries and cultures/attitudes differ, but I was truly shocked by how many countries were still so conservative.

Makes me feel lucky I was born into a relatively liberal society :frown:

Any thoughts?

Yes. My thoughts are that you are another whining homosexual with nothing better to do than point out life's little injustices. So, you'd feel uncomfortable going on vacation to Jamaica? Wow! My heart bleeds for you. :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Vienna
So being homosexual is an illness and youre free to express that opinion, but we cannot say the same of a religious ideology for fear of prosecution. I think that highlights everything wrong with Britain at the moment.

I never said it was an illness, abnormal at most.

In todays society people are speaking against Islam without having grasped what the faith is about. The sick thing in society is that the moment anyone says anything remotely derogatory about homosexuals they are beaten down in a flash. It seems that at times Pro homosexual propaganda is being force fed to the population.
Reply 38
Howard
Yes. My thoughts are that you are another whining homosexual with nothing better to do than point out life's little injustices. So, you'd feel uncomfortable going on vacation to Jamaica? Wow! My heart bleeds for you. :rolleyes:

Out of your 11k odd posts i think thats the first one that i agree with. But its only about time you come out with another Islamophobic or Palestinephobic post for me to start disliking you again!
Reply 39
Howard

I am a liberal but I have to agree with that.

Latest

Trending

Trending