Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    I dont like Islam. Does that make me Hitler? Ill let you answer.

They arent educated, they have little choice, they dont know any better, its a product of their social circumstance?
    Hitler was a nazi, neo nazis hate Islam, so yes that likens you to Hitler allbeit not a carbon copy!

I suppose you are amazingly well educated, you have free choice and you know alot better given your immense social circumstances, roll another fat one!

So i take all those people who convert never read a book or are completely uneducated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    There.
    I was responding in the literal sense. If i was a leader of a group or some sort of oraganization and branded a religion as an illness id expect to be punished.

You took that post in the wrong context and flew off at a tangent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaMahdi)
    I was responding in the literal sense. If i was a leader of a group or some sort of oraganization and branded a religion as an illness id expect to be punished.

You took that post in the wrong context and flew off at a tangent.
    The problem is, you do not feel everyone has the right to criticise it, and criticism should be reserved for those who you think are educated enough, which is totally subjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes. My thoughts are that you are another whining homosexual with nothing better to do than point out life's little injustices. So, you'd feel uncomfortable going on vacation to Jamaica? Wow! My heart bleeds for you. :rolleyes:
    Same old, same old, Howard :mad:

Another whining homo? What?! I actually think homosexual men are quite relaxed in western society these days and don't tend to go on and on about injustices.

You are a hypocrite because you **** me off [using cheap sarcasm] for raising issue over something I believe in, yet you would defend your Christian beliefs in a similar way.

I was merely raising the point that countries such as Jamaica could potentially be quite unsafe for homosexual tourists/travellers, not bringing on a sob story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)

Another whining homo? What?! I actually think homosexual men are quite relaxed in western society these days and don't tend to go on and on about injustices.

You are a hypocrite because you **** me off [using cheap sarcasm] for raising issue over something I believe in, yet you would defend your Christian beliefs in a similar way.

I was merely raising the point that countries such as Jamaica could potentially be quite unsafe for homosexual tourists/travellers, not bringing on a sob story.
    I agree, I think your concerns are quite legitimate.

ReputationRep:
    So where is this thread heading?... Do I have to put it back on track?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    So where is this thread heading?... Do I have to put it back on track?
    I've raised the points I want to.

Please don't "put it back on track".

ReputationRep:
    If i went up to say a KKK member and said your group is a fascist bully organization then he would probably laugh.
    Yes, before beating you beyond human recognition, tying a noose around your neck and slinging it over the nearest branch he could find.

ReputationRep:

Well, you won't hear me complaining about feeling uncomfortable as a Christian in certain countries where Christians aren't particularly welcome. Big deal. I'd either not visit (unlikely) or just keep my mouth shut about my beliefs and get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you won't hear me complaining about feeling uncomfortable as a Christian in certain countries where Christians aren't particularly welcome. Big deal. I'd either not visit (unlikely) or just keep my mouth shut about my beliefs and get over it.
    Hardly comparable to potential prejudice people can suffer due to their sexuality.

Christianity is a belief, a faith - a religion, homosexuality isn't.

It's far easier to disguise one's religion than it is one's sexuality.

I was raising what I feel is an important issue.

I find it worrying and appalling that people are still receiving the death penalty or years in prison for being a homo - don't you? Surely as Christian you see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    You are saying it is hard not to act gay?... So being gay is like a belief, a way of life...

You are an idiot.
    I don't think it's hard not to act camp, but, for example, in certain countries homo's couldn't hold hands/couldn't show any signs of affection for each other. That's why its hard not to act gay.

Being gay isn't a belief, but of course it is a way of life, just like being a hetero is.

I am not an idiot - why am I? Totally uncalled for remark.

Again, *points to your 2 red gems*

Munter.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly comparable to potential prejudice people can suffer due to their sexuality.

Christianity is a belief, a faith - a religion, homosexuality isn't.

It's far easier to disguise one's religion than it is one's sexuality.

I was raising what I feel is an important issue.

I find it worrying and appalling that people are still receiving the death penalty or years in prison for being a homo - don't you? Surely as Christian you see what I mean.
    Well, you're the one that introduced Christianity into the debate. Not me.

I don't think you disguising your homosexuality for the duration of a 2 week holiday to Jamaica would be that demanding to be honest. But, if you absolutely must display your sexual preference in public there are lots of places you can freely do so.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you're the one that introduced Christianity into the debate. Not me.
    The point of this thread was to see what people thought, in moralistic terms, of the fact that so many countries still persecute homosexuals so severely. I assumed that as a Christian you would believe mandatory prison sentences/corporal punishment for homosexuality to be an intrinsic cruelty and immoral.

I agree that it would be easy to conceal homosexuality on a 2 week holiday, especially in a decent hotel resort. But, again, thats not the point of the thread really.

ReputationRep:
    The point of this thread was to see what people thought, in moralistic terms, of the fact that so many countries still persecute homosexuals so severely. I assumed that as a Christian you would believe mandatory prison sentences/corporal punishment for homosexuality to be an intrinsic cruelty and immoral.

I agree that it would be easy to conceal homosexuality on a 2 week holiday, especially in a decent hotel resort. But, again, thats not the point of the thread really.
    Well, with all due respect the purpose of these post seemed (to me at least)more to be about pointing out "inconveniences" that might befall a gay couple if they went on holiday somewhere:

So, it got me thinking, say some time in the future I wanted to go on holiday to Jamaica for example with a partner, we probably wouldn't be allowed to share a bed in a hotel [well not according to the hotel

I don't think this is such a big deal really.

However, you are now doing a complete about-face by talking about mandatory prison sentances/corporal punishment/intrinsic cruelty etc. I think you've just changed the tone of the thread to bring us back to the same old gay victim agenda.

And I'll thank you kindly not to keep on second guessing my opinions and telling me what they should be with words like "I assumed that as a Christian you would believe..........." This is most unhelpful. I'd remind you that there are 2 billion adherents of Christianity walking the face of the globe and we certainly don't all sing from the same hymnal.

ReputationRep:
    With the utmost respect i strongly disagree with you. Whilst saying homosexuality is an illness lacks sensitivity, to question why people are gay and why they are not is a suitable debate topic which has been discussed many times before and not just on this board! To this day i havent been convinced by anyone that my views are wrong.

If someone is gay, get on with it and best of luck to them. Dont bother broadcasting it to the world more than it has been already. People like peter thatchell are the problem and i dont know by who or how but that guy is gonna get it one of these days!
    As my parody of this has been removed, I will explain in boring detail why it is particularly ironic that muslims should be raising this topic.
    Muslims, like homosexuals, believe that their orientation is innate.
    Muslims, however, assert that all humans are born muslim and only stop being so because of environmental and social pressures. There is no evidence at all for this claim, whereas there is strong evidence for the belief of homosexuals that there is a strong genetic element in their orientation. The fact that many muslims claim that they are obliged and entitled to force other people to behave in a way that satisfies their prejudices (I use the woprd deliberately and literally. Muslims are told not to tolerate "lewdness" in their fellow men and believe this before they know what "lewdness" is- pre-judgement) and proclivities is very similar to the behaviour of the most militant homosexualists. The difference is that homosexuals merely want to be accepted and allowed to behave as they please in private; these muslims want to decide what is acceptable and impose their prejudices on other people both privately and publicly.
    YaMahdi's last paragraph shows precisely why particular sorts of muslims are dangers to public order and civil society.

ReputationRep:
    Well, with all due respect the purpose of these post seemed (to me at least)more to be about pointing out "inconveniences" that might befall a gay couple if they went on holiday somewhere:

So, it got me thinking, say some time in the future I wanted to go on holiday to Jamaica for example with a partner, we probably wouldn't be allowed to share a bed in a hotel [well not according to the hotel

I don't think this is such a big deal really.

However, you are now doing a complete about-face by talking about mandatory prison sentances/corporal punishment/intrinsic cruelty etc. I think you've just changed the tone of the thread to bring us back to the same old gay victim agenda.

And I'll thank you kindly not to keep on second guessing my opinions and telling me what they should be with words like "I assumed that as a Christian you would believe..........." This is most unhelpful. I'd remind you that there are 2 billion adherents of Christianity walking the face of the globe and we certainly don't all sing from the same hymnal.
    The thread wasn't just about inconveniences I, a westerner, might face, it was about the issue as a whole, and things people suffer in these countries.

Of course the thread contains elements of a gay victim agenda or whatev, thats what it's about! But it's not a sob story. You imply it as if I'm trying to seek sympathy - thats unfair, I was just highlighting what I consider to be a problem.

I admit it was unfair of me to second guess your opinions. However, you didn't express any surprise [maybe you simply weren't]/disagreement with the fact that so many countries still persecute homo's, so in general it is fair to assume that Christians would disagree with such persecution.

I mean no offence, but I just didn't like the way you came in and more or less said "get over it" and "dont play the gay victim" like YaMahdi when that wasn't the intention. People always tend to say things like "oh ur just trying to play victim" etc when they can't back up their own opinions properly.

ReputationRep:
    I admit it was unfair of me to second guess your opinions. However, you didn't express any surprise [maybe you simply weren't]/disagreement with the fact that so many countries still persecute homo's, so in general it is fair to assume that Christians would disagree with such persecution.
    Well, I wasn't surprized. I know enough about the world to know that homosexuals aren't well liked in lots of countries. (I was born at night but just not last night) I was just advising that from the point of view of a gay tourist that you don't visit those countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    YaMahdi's last paragraph shows precisely why particular sorts of muslims are dangers to public order and civil society.
    Wishing homosexuals the best of luck i agree goes against civil society. I do apologize, i will try to be more homophobic next time.

Peter Thatchell's work is good in terms of lobbying for better human rights, but he does tend stick his nose where its not welcome and one day ill think he'll recieve some 'undesired' treatment.

abuse edited by pig

ReputationRep:
    Wishing homosexuals the best of luck i agree goes against civil society. I do apologize, i will try to be more homophobic next time.

Peter Thatchell's work is good in terms of lobbying for better human rights, but he does tend stick his nose where its not welcome and one day ill think he'll recieve some 'undesired' treatment.
    I dont fear Islam or muslims per se, I just find it to be a terrible ideology that I totally disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    There are actual gay people living in those countries. There's crlearly omething wrong with the morals of anyone who supports a government that imposes death penalty for being gay...

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.