The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys, you know the second season, is it the whole of the second book? I made the mistake of watching it before reading it so now there's no way I'm going to read that massive over 1000 word book...
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Guys, you know the second season, is it the whole of the second book? I made the mistake of watching it before reading it so now there's no way I'm going to read that massive over 1000 word book...

It's mainly the "important" parts of the second book. The book covers a lot of things that didn't happen in the TV series and it goes into a lot more detail. The book is a very exciting read pretty much the whole way through. The longer the better if you're enjoying it. :tongue:

There's no way you could watch the first and second seasons and then go straight to the third book, though, if that's what you're thinking. Or you could, but you'll have missed a lot of stuff, and many parts won't make much sense to you.

I wouldn't even recommend reading the second book without having read AGoT first.
Original post by AugustWestie
It's mainly the "important" parts of the second book. The book covers a lot of things that didn't happen in the TV series and it goes into a lot more detail. The book is a very exciting read pretty much the whole way through. The longer the better if you're enjoying it. :tongue:

There's no way you could watch the first and second seasons and then go straight to the third book, though, if that's what you're thinking. Or you could, but you'll have missed a lot of stuff, and many parts won't make much sense to you.

I wouldn't even recommend reading the second book without having read AGoT first.

I've read AGoT ofcourse :smile: I liked it a lot. I read 2 chapters of the second book which was quite a hard read for me, so many new characters and I got a bit confused. So I kind of gave up and just watched the 2nd season instead. Is the second book really that good? Thanks for the encouragement I might actually read it now!
Reply 2043
Original post by elitepower
I think the show versions of them will be better as they can do them at the same time, if you get what I mean. Like I felt one of the weaknesses of AFfC was it had less interesting characters (or at least less popular characters that ADWD) and too many new characters. But on the show, I am guessing they will both at the same time which will solve this problem.

It wil be interesting to see id the final books can top aSoS.

Yeah I agree, due to him wanting to get so many different POVs across there were a lot of characters that were just boring tbh (special mentions to Brienne and the characters from the Iron Islands :colonhash:).

Also, they've cast Mance Rayder, gonna be played by Ciarán Hinds. I liked him in Rome as Caesar but I pictured him a bit younger?
I've read AGoT ofcourse :smile: I liked it a lot. I read 2 chapters of the second book which was quite a hard read for me, so many new characters and I got a bit confused. So I kind of gave up and just watched the 2nd season instead. Is the second book really that good? Thanks for the encouragement I might actually read it now!

OMG sorry but I kind of facepalmed while reading this. In summary:

- Game of Thrones Season 1 = just as brilliant as A Game of Thrones the book

- Game of Thrones Season 2 = nowhere near as good as A Clash of Kings the book.

The only part of the second season which equalled the book its based off was the Battle of the Blackwater episode - and the reason this one was so good was because it was written by George R R Martin himself! Most of the other episodes the other writers deviated from the book too much - which always made the show worse not better.

So you should definetly read the book.
Original post by Super Cicero
OMG sorry but I kind of facepalmed while reading this. In summary:

- Game of Thrones Season 1 = just as brilliant as A Game of Thrones the book

- Game of Thrones Season 2 = nowhere near as good as A Clash of Kings the book.

The only part of the second season which equalled the book its based off was the Battle of the Blackwater episode - and the reason this one was so good was because it was written by George R R Martin himself! Most of the other episodes the other writers deviated from the book too much - which always made the show worse not better.

So you should definetly read the book.

Why facepalm? :tongue: Hahaa darn it, okay I will definitely read it! thanks :smile:
Why facepalm? :tongue: Hahaa darn it, okay I will definitely read it! thanks :smile:

Minus the facepalm, I would definitely agree. Season 2 changes quite a bit and leaves quite a bit out. :tongue: You'll be even more glad you read the books when you read A Storm of Swords. It's generally agreed that that is the peak of the series so far. Just be careful not to spoil anything for yourself! :colone:
Original post by AugustWestie
Minus the facepalm, I would definitely agree. Season 2 changes quite a bit and leaves quite a bit out. :tongue: You'll be even more glad you read the books when you read A Storm of Swords. It's generally agreed that that is the peak of the series so far. Just be careful not to spoil anything for yourself! :colone:

ooo i really look forward to reading it now. and hahaa the spoilers is the main problem! I already know one big thing that is going to happen because of a tumblr spoiler. thanks btw :smile: also I remember when I started reading the second book I was kinda sad that the chapters were in the point of view of different characters.
Original post by Deshi
Yeah I agree, due to him wanting to get so many different POVs across there were a lot of characters that were just boring tbh (special mentions to Brienne and the characters from the Iron Islands :colonhash:).

Also, they've cast Mance Rayder, gonna be played by Ciarán Hinds. I liked him in Rome as Caesar but I pictured him a bit younger?

Spoiler

Original post by Deshi

I didn't find Brienne that bad, just a bit pointless since she never actually achieved anything. The only iron island POV I disliked was Damphair, the rest were a bit dull but asha's picked up later on in ADWD.

Although some POVs are a bit irregular like aerons and brans, I wonder whether they will make up new scenes to compansate or just not make them full characters like they did with balon?
Reply 2051

You actually got me excited then! Hahah

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
The actress that plays Sansa is stunningly beautiful. Just sayin' lol.
Original post by ConnorTheYank
The actress that plays Sansa is stunningly beautiful. Just sayin' lol.

She is really pretty I agree , I think her character adds to her beauty abit ( like everyones infatuation with Emma Watson ) but i think she is abit overated :confused:.

Theres so many good looking people in the TV series :eek:
Reply 2054
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
She is really pretty I agree , I think her character adds to her beauty abit ( like everyones infatuation with Emma Watson ) but i think she is abit overated :confused:.

I've always thought the opposite personally, I think Dany is the only really good looking person on the show, and maybe the bird Robb is banging. I have high hopes for Arianne though, don't think they've cast her yet.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen

Yeah you are right, Emma Watson is overrated.
Reply 2056
Original post by elitepower
I didn't find Brienne that bad, just a bit pointless since she never actually achieved anything. The only iron island POV I disliked was Damphair, the rest were a bit dull but asha's picked up later on in ADWD.

I think Brienne's chapters would have been a lot more interesting had (AFFC spoilers)

Spoiler

Also, some casting news (links may contain some spoilers)

Daario and Grey Worm have been cast: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/08/daario-naharis-and-grey-worm-cast/
Kraznys and Prendahl have been cast: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/08/kraznys-and-prendahl-cast/

Returning Cast Updates: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/08/season-3-returning-cast-updates/
(ASOS spoilers)

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
I think Brienne's chapters would have been a lot more interesting had (AFFC spoilers)

Spoiler

Also, some casting news (links may contain some spoilers)

Daario and Grey Worm have been cast: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/08/daario-naharis-and-grey-worm-cast/
Kraznys and Prendahl have been cast: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/08/kraznys-and-prendahl-cast/

Returning Cast Updates: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/08/season-3-returning-cast-updates/
(ASOS spoilers)

Spoiler

(AFFC spoilers)

Spoiler

(Recurring characters and ASOS spoilers)

Spoiler

The only person that comes to mind and she fits the physical description.

Latest