The Student Room Group

A physique like Bolo Yeung?

I was wondering what it would take to get a physique like Bolo Yeung? For me his physique and strength would be ideal; just screams raw physical power but is at the same time aesthetically pleasing. I'm not the most knowledgable about weightlifting, strength training, bodybuilding, nutrition, et cetera but I'm very willing to learn.

I'm 183cms tall, weigh 90kgs, 15% body fat (I know, lay off the fatty foods). I'm already a pretty big guy with genetics similar to Yeung (my shoulders are very broad and my muscles were bigger than most before I even started training) so i've always taken him as model I suppose, that's and he was awesome in 'Enter the Dragon' :biggrin: .

I lift weights at least 6 hours a week, I can bench 65-70kg quite comfortably but I have weak wrists and grip strength so struggle with more than that. I also practice archery with a 70lb longbow for about 9 hours a week so my back and shoulders are pretty huge. I do very little cardio, I walk just about everywhere but other than that nothing really. I eat about 3000 calories a day, sorry to say it's not particularly clean but I'm trying to remedy that.

Could you be honest and tell me whether it seems Yeung took steroids? I'd prefer to be natural, but I'm not against the idea - I'd just rather avoid possible health complications.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Just powerlift and do your curls and whatnot. Bolo was a powerlifter to the best of my knowledge. And dude, a 60-70kg bench is terrible for somebody your weight. Get yours nearer 120-140kg and you'll be a lot nearer Bolo's physique.
The Blind Monk
Just powerlift and do your curls and whatnot. Bolo was a powerlifter to the best of my knowledge. And dude, a 60-70kg bench is terrible for somebody your weight. Get yours nearer 120-140kg and you'll be a lot nearer Bolo's physique.

Why would he powerlift? It's not an efficient way to achieve that type physique.
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses guys, appreciated.

The Blind Monk

I know, as I say my wrists are weedy and I have low grip strength. I have small-medium size hands for a man and that doesn't lend itself to bench presses and squats.

mikeylfc1989
Why would he powerlift? It's not an efficient way to achieve that type physique.

What would you suggest??
Reply 4
mikeylfc1989

Because, as the OP suggests in his post, he wants the strength to back it up. And if he's only bencing 60-70kg, he should definitely remedy that.

Get your bench up above 100-120kg, squat to 180kg and deadlift over 200kg and all whilst shovelling in the food, and you'll be in the right direction.

It will be harder for you to have his proportions because of your height.
Reply 5
Einheri
I know, as I say my wrists are weedy and I have low grip strength. I have small-medium size hands for a man and that doesn't lend itself to bench presses and squats.

I don't really see why this is a problem. Grip strength isn't really a huge factor in bench pressing, since you're only really balancing it in your hands. You do have to grip hard to get tighter, but it's not going to be a limiting factor.

I don't see why it's a factor in squatting either. At all. I don't even grip the bar, I just rest my palms over the top of the bar.
Yeah, squatting is one of the least grip-reliant lifts I can think of. Bench doesn't need grip either really.

Oh and wasn't Bolo also a bodybuilder? I think he was. So definitely on the juice.
Einheri

If your grip is weak, strengthen it (though grip has pretty much nothing to do with benching or squatting - primarily it's an issue for deadlifting). One of the first important things to do is to not make excuses for yourself. I've got small hands and small wrists, and I'm a small guy with a narrow frame, but I don't think for a second that's an excuse for having a low bench. A weak point is something your strengthen, not something you allow to hold you back.
Einheri

Dude, I guarantee I have smaller hands than you. I am also 20kg lighter than you and can bench 10kg more for reps. Benching's not even really about grip strength. It's not such a big deal.

And the point about powerlifting to get a physique is simple: at the beginning everything is a weak point. As soon as you hit some basic strength levels, any bodybuilding work you do will be more effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_Yeung
Wikipedia says he took up powerlifting:p:
Reply 9
Einheri
I was wondering what it would take to get a physique like Bolo Yeung?

I'm 183cms tall, weigh 90kgs, 15% body fat (I know, lay off the fatty foods). I'm already a pretty big guy with genetics similar to Yeung (my shoulders are very broad and my muscles were bigger than most before I even started training) so i've always taken him as model I suppose,

He is 5'6, you are over 6ft your genetics are not similar
Reply 10
Chumbaniya
A weak point is something your strengthen, not something you allow to hold you back.

+rep for that statement, and new sig.
Reply 11
Naigan
+rep for that statement, and new sig.

You are confused, young Skywalker.
Reply 12
meh, probably, not sure why you would want to, his genetics look unimpressive
Reply 13
mooobs
Reply 14
Tashalls
mooobs

no they are pecs you muppet

these are moobs:

these are pecs:

Aim for poundstone or KK if you want a powerful look....but saying that your aim should be a 300kg deadlift, a 250kg squat, 150kg bench and then with a low teen bodyfat %....this would mean a nice thick mid-section unless you have a really naturally slim waist, big shoulders and legs and a good set of traps. Steroids will also help and getting big beefy forearms.

Basically get on starting strength and eat lots, but also do enough cardio and HIIT to stay lean.....then just keep up aiming to get stronger for 5 years....get to a low-ish bodyfat % and you'll have your look and will look a lot better than Bolo. If you've got naturally broad shoulders and are 6ft 1 you've already got good genetics, just get your compounds massive and eat big.
Reply 16
Bishamon
no they are pecs you muppet

these are moobs:

these are pecs:

Both look horrible and mooblike, but each to their own...
I nearly have those and I look like a weed.... so yeah.... I think they need to be higher + curls.

SMed
Because, as the OP suggests in his post, he wants the strength to back it up. And if he's only bencing 60-70kg, he should definitely remedy that.

Get your bench up above 100-120kg, squat to 180kg and deadlift over 200kg and all whilst shovelling in the food, and you'll be in the right direction.

It will be harder for you to have his proportions because of your height.
Reply 18
SMed
You are confused, young Skywalker.

Bah, it should have worked.

Edit: Never mind, it did work :tongue:
Reply 19
RedHotButter
I nearly have those and I look like a weed.... so yeah.... I think they need to be higher + curls.

lol, I didn't say you'd be there, I said you'd be in the right direction. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest