The Student Room Group

Cannabis and drug sentences

Hey, i was in Amsterdam last weekend and visited the many famous 'coffee shops' (for educational purposes) and i was shocked to learn about the harshness of cannabis related sentences, especially in America. Apparently according to 'The Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum' there some bloke had 5 marihuana plants and was sentenced to 93 years in prison. Another women had terminal cancer and used it for pain relief, she got 30 odd years. There was so many of cases like this with ridiculously long sentences, the worst being a woman who gave her tools to a man to cultivate his plants- she got 57 years.
This seems completey ridiculous to me, how long do you get in prison for posession over here?
I cant believe how harsh some laws are whilst some are so lenient e.g. you can torture an animal and get a £100 fine in some states, whats going on?!
Sorry if i sound so ignorant but i never realised :eek:
I wouldn't personally know for sure, but I think that in reality, if you got caught with a bit of weed on you (i.e., obviously not dealing) by a policeman, they'd probably just take it off you and maybe taken your name down. Perhaps a firm slap on the wrists.
Those few cases were probably making examples of people. I cant imagine that those kind of sentences happen too often.
Reply 3
If you're carrying a small amount it'll get confescated, you can get a fine or it'll be community service. Im pretty sure that in most cases its just confescated. But if the officer thinks your dealing (carrying quite a bit) then you can expect a prison sentence.

If your growing cannabis then you can also expect prison, but im sure the sentences wont be as long as youve described in America.
yea, u only hear about the extreme ones, and without knowing all the details we cant really know what was going on. Drug sentences are ofton very harsh I think because most of the public love to see the man being tough on drugs
Reply 5
Cannabis laws in the US in particular are ridiculous and disporportionate to the dangers of the drug. Its just helps the moral brigade sleep easier at night (after a few glasses of wine) knowing that "those darn druggie's" are being locked up. There are so many dangers related to alcohol with regards to alcohol related violence, drink drive incidents, not to mention long term health risks associated with alcohol, yet most people do not even realise how dangerous it is. How many incidents do you read in the papers about a group of individuals getting high on marijuana then causing violence? Cannabis relaxes you more than anything else, and i doubt even the more hardened thug would look for a fight after smoking weed..

I personally know of many individuals, and girls in particular who regularly go out and get ridiculously drunk (bout 3-4 times a week), yet berate any one who smokes weed, calling them stoners, drug addicts etc.

Public opinion on cannabis is misguided with relation to the relative harmful effects of the drug. Yes it does increase the risk of pyscosis, but as far as im aware it only heightens the chances of those who may already be suscebtable to this illness. This also only occurs after prolonged and regular use of cannabis.

I acknowledge that there are inherent risks of cannabis use and consequently there are prison sentences for those who sell or are caught in possession of an amount that would be intended to be sold (as far as I'm aware its an ounce), yet i do not feel that this is reflective upon the nature and the risks of the drug, especially as when compared with alcohol and its subsidiary effects.
Reply 6
does anyone actually know waht the LAW on smoking and carrying is in the UK., ove been told so much different stuff i don tknow what to think.

does anyone have a definative answer..
(either way i dont smoke anyway so...)
Reply 7
The Government reclassified cannabis from a Class B to a Class C drug on 29th January 2004 across the United Kingdom.

For those over 18, most offences of cannabis possession are likely to result in a warning on the street and confiscation of the drug. But you could be arrested if you smoke in a public place, near a place where there are children e.g a school, or where public order is at risk. Those who repeatedly commit offences will be arrested and will be prosecuted.

If you are under 18, and it's your first offence of cannabis possession you will normally be arrested, taken to the police station and given a warning or a reprimand.

Apparently.
Reply 8
I have been caught with Cannabis quite a few times, I did get a caution once that has since run out, but that was more due to the fact I was abit annoyed at getting harrased all the time, but since Stephen Lawrence case, the stop and searches did definitely back off. To be honest unless your carrying kilos or have a small factory in your house you are unlikely to be bothered by the police.
In regards to the harsh sentencing, America has mandatory sentences and a three-strikes and your out policy. These wouldn't have been first time offences.
Reply 9
cheers jonnyB
Reply 10
Ideally all drugs should be legal.

Someone who smokes pot for medicinal reasons isn't violating the person or property of another. Neither is somebody growing a marijuana plant for his own personal uses.
Reply 11
"mandatory sentences and a three-strikes laws" ...

yes, this is the real problem, there are too many repeat offenders, and so most states put laws like this into effect.

I think marijuana should be decrimalized to the point of alcohol.

Other drugs (hard ones) it's a different story, but pot is milder than alcohol.
Reply 12
zooropa
Ideally all drugs should be legal.

Really? ALL drugs? Bit far fetched when you consider the amount of unfortunate accidents that occur nowadays eg. children taking pills when they find them somewhere. Surely these would increase drastically were the dangerous drugs readily available.

As for the examples of the stupidly long prison sentences, they're probably as frequent as the case where the eleven year old girl got sued £5000 per song or something for using Kazaa to download songs. They're merely publicised as a deterrent.
Reply 13
Some countries have severe penalties for possession/use of even small quantities of Cannabis.

In the UK, I think that you'd be more likely to simply get a caution/good telling off if it was your first offence, after that, you'd probably be charged, which would, depending on the quantities involved/whether you were dealing or not, result in community service, a rehab order or a custodial sentence.
Reply 14
pinkypants
Really? ALL drugs? Bit far fetched when you consider the amount of unfortunate accidents that occur nowadays eg. children taking pills when they find them somewhere. Surely these would increase drastically were the dangerous drugs readily available.

It should be the responsibility of the individual (in your case, the parent/s) to prevent such stupid accidents, not of the government to make blanket laws.
Reply 15
Legalisation seems a moral alternative, but the present situation suits a lot better. At present, you'll not get found with drugs unless you draw attention to yourself (you'll never be searched in the street without a reason - hell, the only reason I've ever spoken to a police constable is to hand in a purse and to see if anyone handed in my lost phone). More importantly, however, it's still the one sector of industry that has not been taxed to hell by the government.

Actually, just had a thought - if they were legal, maybe the extra cost by taxation would be offset by the ability to get cheap and plentiful imports. Meh.

pinkypants
As for the examples of the stupidly long prison sentences, they're probably as frequent as the case where the eleven year old girl got sued £5000 per song or something for using Kazaa to download songs. They're merely publicised as a deterrent.

Did they actually win their case? As far as I can see, the only damages the record company would suffer is the cost that you (and the people you shared with) would have paid for the song anyway. So in total, maybe £2 for everyone you share with....
Reply 16
pinkypants
Really? ALL drugs?

Yes. The war on drugs doesn't work. Taking drugs in itself doesn't violate anyone's rights.

Bit far fetched when you consider the amount of unfortunate accidents that occur nowadays eg. children taking pills when they find them somewhere. Surely these would increase drastically were the dangerous drugs readily available.

And why is this relevant? As someone else said, it should be down to parental responsibility.
Reply 17
Ok what they need to do is to legalize marijuana and make tobacco and alcohol illegal. Of course this will never happen realistically, but still. The latter 2 are more addicting.

Latest

Trending

Trending