English - Poetry Watch

This discussion is closed.
recurring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
When mentioning poets that you have enjoyed reading should you mention your favourite poems by them or is this a bit of a no-no?
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by recurring)
When mentioning poets that you have enjoyed reading should you mention your favourite poems by them or is this a bit of a no-no?
I wouldn't, no. The reason being that it looks slightly GCSE or AS level to list out the favourite poems - if you're going to mention a poet I suggest you're fairly well acquainted with a wide range of her or his works. I would also avoid listing too many individual poets. Talk in terms of "the Romantic poets, especially ......" or "the metaphysical poets, in particular...".

Where are you applying? If you're going to be interviewed there is an even stronger case for not mentioning specifics. It looks better if you appear to be able to talk about as wide a range as possible (especially if you can in fact do so!)

An obvious exception would be something like The Wasteland which you SHOULD name. I was talking more about avoiding "I like Andrew Marvell, especially To His Coy Mistress and The Garden".
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Argh.

I just like modern poetry, so I've put down random poets and bits and pieces that I like from them. Not poems, but collections and ideas, for example Ted Hughs' Crow.

A little editing would seem to be in order

Edit: argh (again). I just can't make myself do that. I don't like enough metaphysical poets, etc. I've just said that I like the theme of religion in literature. and put in some examples. It'll have to do.
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
Argh.

I just like modern poetry, so I've put down random poets and bits and pieces that I like from them. Not poems, but collections and ideas, for example Ted Hughs' Crow.

A little editing would seem to be in order

Edit: argh (again). I just can't make myself do that. I don't like enough metaphysical poets, etc. I've just said that I like the theme of religion in literature. and put in some examples. It'll have to do.
That sounds good ! I love the metaphysicals, especially Donne. Some person told me I should be more unusual and put down Milton as I've read Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained; I tried it but then took it out because it occurred to me that it makes a lot more sense to write down what you actually enjoy than what you think might impress tutors... & tbh I enjoy aspects of Paradise Lost but not enough to discuss it with passion.
Elusive Moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just English personal statements in general are so hard! (Or even just personal statements!) There's so much to write about with regards to the subject and then you have to fit in all your EC stuff too... I've ended up with so little that's subject specific it's ridiculous, focusing it all around experience :/ God, hope it's Ok...
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elusive Moose)
Just English personal statements in general are so hard! (Or even just personal statements!) There's so much to write about with regards to the subject and then you have to fit in all your EC stuff too... I've ended up with so little that's subject specific it's ridiculous, focusing it all around experience :/ God, hope it's Ok...
I'm exactly the other way round; have had to sacrifice so much extra curric stuff to fit in the subject specific stuff - and that's after editing most of the authors out, *and* I haven't decided what aspect of literary criticism I want to add
Elusive Moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not sure about the parting with EC stuff or not... Would people say that if it's relevant to the course to keep it in? Or just fairly unusual to make you stand out?
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm sure that English personal statements are the hardest kind to write... its all so subjective, i.e. what constitutes 'worthy' literature and whether our thoughts on it are 'good enough'. Its not like maths where you can like binary code or whatever, or medicine where you can just put down "I have 5 As and 6 months hospital work experience".

I'm applying for english, english and creative writing, creative writing, so have to make it applicable to all, as well as getting ec's in. Moose - personally, I have eliminated stuff like sports and music, just because there were more relevent things. However if you've done something truly amazing (I don't know, climbed mount everest or something) then you might want to include it. And a quick line or two about positions of responsibility can't hurt.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1017)
79.14%
Leave (268)
20.86%

Watched Threads