Missed 3 pills in a row, now on period Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm wondering if there are any other girls out there who have had this happen, which is why I'm asking here, I've tried searching the net but I can't find anything that isn't related to pregnancy worries. There is no chance that I could be pregnant, and I'm not worried about getting pregnant (which is why I was so careless with my pills)

I've been on the pill for about 3 years now, which has caused my periods to be really light and only last about 2 days, with minimal pain. I started a new pack of contraceptive pills the Sunday before last, took one on the Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Then I lost my packet in my very messy bedroom, and found it 4 days later, hence missing Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I didn't think it a big deal, and took Sunday's pill. Well, I woke up Monday mornig in a horrible mess (sorry for any graphic details) and rushed to the bathroom, and sorted myself out. So it now seems that I'm having another period, even though only finishing my last one less than 2 weeks. But this period is much, MUCH heavier than I've ever had in my life, I have to change at least every hour and I feel so physical weak that I almost can't stand, presumably to blood loss. I'm really not used to this, like I said.

I'm starting to get worried, I don't know whether to stop taking the pills or carry on as normal. Has anything like this happened to anyone else, is it normal?? Maybe I'm panicking over nothing, I hope so. I'm hoping it will sort itself out and I don't have to see a doctor. If anyone can give me some advice, or point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful, thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
Pretty sure you'll be fine if you carry on taking it as normal
connie93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
changing conraception can change your cycles. if it continues to be really heavy go to your gp as you could become aneamic from blood loss
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Pretty sure you'll be fine if you carry on taking it as normal
I hope so, thanks for the reassurance
Anonymous #1
(Original post by connie93)
changing conraception can change your cycles. if it continues to be really heavy go to your gp as you could become aneamic from blood loss
Oh I didn't make it very clear, I haven't switched pills, I meant that I just started a new pack of the same pills I've always been on. But than you very much, aneamia hadn't even crossed my mind so I will do as you say and keep an eye on it
homebythefence
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some contraceptions stop periods altogether, some just make them lighter. Are you on the 3 weeks on, one week off pill or the constant pill?

The periods you've been having haven't been normal periods. Essentially you've blocked two lanes on a three way motorway. By stopping the pills for more than 48 hours, you've fixed the blockage and all three lanes are open for business, hence the really heavy period. I love metaphors.

Keep taking your pack as normal, your body will catch up when its finished doing its thang.

Don't lose your packet anymore!

Oh, and if it continues to make you feel weak for more than 3 days, go to your GP or the hospital, cuz you'll need some help.
DuncanMono
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you should carry on taking your pill, maybe change your routine or tidy your bedroom and maybe visit the doctor just so that you know what happened and why it happened and I guess just to be sure that you're not going to wake up next Tuesday and and find your uterus all over the bed and the cat scratching at the door you know
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just had the same thing happen myself and it's happened to me before even by missing one pill so I think it's normal. I've had the occasional heavier period even when I've taken the pills properly and I've been on it for about 3-4 years now. I usually carry on taking the rest of the packet I'm on unless I've got 3 or so pills left before the break. Before I get people telling me I could get pregnant, that won't happen seeing as I'm not with anyone right now.
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
I'd recommend keeping your pills in your purse, I'd be useless if I didn't, but I am yet to miss one so far
Anonymous #1
Thanks for all the advice just to make myself sound a little more responsible, I don't usually forget them and I never did when I needed them, it's just I haven't been with anyone for about 6 months now and I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon, so I just didn't bother because I didn't think it would matter. I know better now! My room is always a mess, but I will keep them in my purse or something from now on as suggested. Glad to know that this is relatively normal, so it seems.
manx1991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
On your pill, your period is essentially 'fake', so as has been said before, by missing the pill you're just restarting again. Nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be so careless though, otherwise there's probably no point being on the pill I don't think
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DuncanMono)
I think you should carry on taking your pill, maybe change your routine or tidy your bedroom and maybe visit the doctor just so that you know what happened and why it happened and I guess just to be sure that you're not going to wake up next Tuesday and and find your uterus all over the bed and the cat scratching at the door you know
No worries there, I don't have a cat
MelonFace
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im not a girl, but

STOP ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE FROM RANDOM STRANGERS AND SEE A DOCTOR IF ONLY FOR A CONSULTATION.

Thankyou, that will be all
Gemma2010
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would see the doctor really...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MelonFace)
Im not a girl, but

STOP ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE FROM RANDOM STRANGERS AND SEE A DOCTOR IF ONLY FOR A CONSULTATION.

BUT I DESPISE MY DOCTOR!!!
I do see your point, but I don't want to waste their time if it's nothing to worry about. And believe me, they won't appreciate me wasting their time, they're like that. And I'll probably get a lecture about being careles...before you say change your doc, I'm moving soon so I'll do it then
MelonFace
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Touche'.
campy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it's fine: if you think about it, you've usually had 3 weeks of pretend hormones stopping you from bleeding. This time it was only a few days. If you just continue to take them as usual it should go back to normal. Obviously if it doesn't, see a doctor. As someone else said, your periods aren't like real periods. It's more accurate to call it 'withdrawal bleeding' so you just had withdrawal bleeding from momentarily coming off the pill. I'm going off the pill soon after a year and a half on it. I'm really worried a similar thing is going to happen D: cause for me, The only reason I actually stop bleeding is starting a new pack of pills. I'm worried that because I won't be starting a new pack, I'll never stoping bleeding...

Im not a girl, but

Not really, this isn't a serious thing so it would be pointless to see a doctor. We should be as careful with the nhs's money as we would be with our own.
MelonFace
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by campy)
it's fine: if you think about it, you've usually had 3 weeks of pretend hormones stopping you from bleeding. This time it was only a few days. If you just continue to take them as usual it should go back to normal. Obviously if it doesn't, see a doctor. As someone else said, your periods aren't like real periods. It's more accurate to call it 'withdrawal bleeding' so you just had withdrawal bleeding from momentarily coming off the pill. I'm going off the pill soon after a year and a half on it. I'm really worried a similar thing is going to happen D: cause for me, The only reason I actually stop bleeding is starting a new pack of pills. I'm worried that because I won't be starting a new pack, I'll never stoping bleeding...

Not really, this isn't a serious thing so it would be pointless to see a doctor. We should be as careful with the nhs's money as we would be with our own.

Point one) It is our own. Welcome to the wonderful world of taxation.
Point two) Where did you get your medical qualifications?
campy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Point one) It is our own. Welcome to the wonderful world of taxation.
Point two) Where did you get your medical qualifications?
I have experience of the pill. Women bleed from their vaginas. Get over it, it's nothing serious. I used my common sense (that if you go off the pill you start withdrawal bleeding) to show that it's probably nothing serious.

And yes but they don't have enough money as it is. Do you want them to tax more? Probably not. So you should really try and be as conservative as possible with their money (since, as you pointed out, it is in effect your money)
simsface
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im not a girl, but

If everyone goes straight to their GP... this board will be empty, no?

Sexual Health forum

health forum

its not a replacement, but its a good way of getting simple questions answered...

Are you suggesting this section of TSR be removed? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (31)
26.27%
Spring (24)
20.34%
Autumn/Fall (32)
27.12%
Winter (23)
19.49%
I love them all equally (8)
6.78%