This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How about operating a system where there is a time delay between signing up and getting your account activated thus preventing people just reregistering and coming back on?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
How about operating a system where there is a time delay between signing up and getting your account activated thus preventing people just reregistering and coming back on?
Maybe. That might work.

How about only one account per e-mail address, and a check (they may have this already) to make sure you actually own that address with a confirmation e-mail.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Maybe. That might work.

How about only one account per e-mail address, and a check (they may have this already) to make sure you actually own that address with a confirmation e-mail.
Buts it is too easy to make new email addresses just for this purpose. I think IP banning is the most effective way. Also another way is to plant a cookie and if you ban a user you could set this cookie to ban=1 which means if they try and load the website up it won't work as you're banned. I know the user could just delete the cookie but not everybody knows how.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maybe. That might work.

I've actually suggested this before. E-mail confirmation would definately help.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
I've actually suggested this before. E-mail confirmation would definately help.
i didnt confirm over email!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Maybe. That might work.

They once had major problems on the St Helens Rugby League messageboard with people posting libellous stuff.

They changed it so you had to send a utility bill in and proof of ID just to register.

Lets hope that this place does not go that way .
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
i didnt confirm over email!
That's because it's not in use on here.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
That's because it's not in use on here.
ahhhhh....i like your site by the way!
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ahhhhh....i like your site by the way!
arnt you meant to be banned?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
arnt you meant to be banned?
moi? see signature, then you will understand!
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
moi? see signature, then you will understand!
me too, kinda but more just to the internet cos you can learn so much

I thought cos you were back at school your parents said no ukl
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Or perhaps a probation period for new members, like the first 100 posts, as long as they are not deemed too offensive or obscene by the mods/member/admins they are then taken off?!?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Or perhaps a probation period for new members, like the first 100 posts, as long as they are not deemed too offensive or obscene by the mods/member/admins they are then taken off?!?
Maybe.

But if we have to wait like that then it won't be any better than the current system, just ban persistant trolls after a PMed warning.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads