Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to wear a suit, and they're pretty strict about uniform regulations (except my cherry-red Docs - I argued for weeks to be allowed to wear those with my suit).

ReputationRep:
    i do including blazer. i dont mind it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much a 'uniform' as a 'dress code': ties; shirts; jackets; etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leo-Marcus)
    We used to have to wear a tweed jacket at my school. Not a very nice thing to have to walk around town in. Nor was it good in the wet months (ie always) as the jackets had a certain dead sheep in the river odour about them. Thankfully they changed the uniform after parents and pupils lobbied them, and the dead sheep comments grew too great in multitude. We also have about ten different sorts of ties for prefects, rugby squad, arts colours etc. In fact this morning our deputy head gave us a five minute speech on the rights and wrongs of wearing 'summer uniform'. Blazers may be derobed, but jumpers can't be worn. Even showed us how to roll our sleeves appropriately.
    Good God.

Still, I trust you've a dedicated support-group?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, no uniform for 6th form. I didn't have one for year 11 either at the college (not even the year 9's or 10's at the college have to wear a uniform ). You can wear anything you want to (I remember a lovely top somesome wore with the different reasons why a person would say the word f***. It was very informative , hehe).

At my college we actually have a school uniform day instead which is funny cause of all the different uniforms we have around in the school and it raises money for charity ("We come in wearing our own cloths every day. Pupils at most schools only get to do this once a year for charity. So why not reverse the idea and raise some money by wearing a uniform for the day.")

I like being able to wear what I want as I'm a person who likes my freedom. Freedom to wear what I want helps me work as I'm not trying to make myself look presentable in a stupid suffocating uniform. I can show the real me to the people at my college with what I wear and they the same with me. We are because of this like a big family. It's a homely atmosphere for many reasons and no uniform is one of those reasons.

If I had to wear a uniform/suit every day in the future I can imagine getting very frustrated with it as I am very used to wearing what I want to now.

(Original post by Natalie561)
    I didn't have to wear a uniform in the 6th Form - that was well good, although it did take me ages to find what to wear in the mornings
    How can it take a long time to find what to wear :confused: ? I think it takes me about 5 minuits to decide exactly what I'm going to wear to college. I just pick something I would wear out on any given day. It's not that hard, surely. The days I find hard are those that my Theatre Studies teacher asks us to come in dressed as our character or the likes for they day (this happened a few times last year. It took me forever to find stuff that people would wear in the 70's for one of these. I ended up having to wear an itchy, to small, Harris tweed jaket with some trousers and top that my mum used to wear when she was about that age although I still looked more normal than the rest of the class , hehe).

ReputationRep:
    Yep - red school polo shirt / rugby shirt and black trousers/skirt. Dark (black shoes).

I went in with my bright pinky purple hair yesterday and no one said a word (I was worried about that!).

ReputationRep:
    no uniform, state school, although my head of year does not allow beach wear/shorts/low cut tops(for girls, lol)/short skirts

think they want to bring in a shirt and tie policy but i have only got this year too go so dont care!

ReputationRep:
    In my sixth form, we need to wear a uniform. I was fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    not particularly a uniform...just a relaxed dress code.."smart, tidy and appropraite"...i would prefer just to wear a suit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Good God.

Still, I trust you've a dedicated support-group?
    Unfortunately not, though it would have been useful, considering the sight and smell of such blazers attracted attention and disgust from the lower orders of life. I include most of my family in this.

As a further point as regards uniform, I always fondly remember that above the Hall doors, there was a sign requesting 'No stilettos'. I presume the faculty were well aware of the effects a single-sex education can have on young men.

ReputationRep:
    I bought my clothes of "smart dress" today and I look pretty darn snazzy if I may say so myself. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    We don't have to wear uniform at my school but everyone wears the same things anyway.

All the boys look like they've cleared out Burtons wearing fashionable jeans, t-shirts and maybe a hoodie if it's cold (only a plain one though).

I think I'll have to buy myself some more jeans at this rate, because at home I mostly wear tracksuit bottoms and football shirts yet I would just look a chav compared to everyone else if I wore it at school lol! yesterday I had to go and spend £60 on a couple of tops so I can get through the next week!

ReputationRep:
    Our school 'claims' they don't have a uniform, but they might as well have one, all the rules they've got. It would be much easier if we did. We're not allowed : jeans, shorts, skirts above knee height, sports wear including football tops rugby tops tracksuit bottoms or jackets, boys aren't allowed 3/4 trousers, beach wear, no stilettos, heels over 2 1/2 inches, denim of any kind, and no excessive jewlery (the most you can wear is 2 rings, a necklace, a bracelet, a watch, one pair of 'fancy' earings, or 2 pairs of studs. facial piercings are frowned upon, as are tattoos) It's bloody rediculous!
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    We were allowed to wear whatever we wanted, yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    A suit...
    Same, a dark coloured suit

ReputationRep:
    We can wear what ever we like, but then again in lower school we only had a black jumper, so people would wear their own tops underneath - not much difference.
    They only annoying thing about having uniform is that all my friends at private schools get to perve on guys in suits!! Ah nothing sexier than a guy in a suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    A suit...
    Yep us too, except we have really stupid rules like only black shoes, no earrings other than studs, no JUMPERS (even when it's cold) etc.
    Our tutor is a bit power crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~the_one~)
    We can wear what ever we like, but then again in lower school we only had a black jumper, so people would wear their own tops underneath - not much difference.
    They only annoying thing about having uniform is that all my friends at private schools get to perve on guys in suits!! Ah nothing sexier than a guy in a suit.
    Unless it's a very creased suit because they've spent a whole day wearing it around a school rather than an office.
    I hate the idea of sixth formers in suits! (it's our uniform too)

ReputationRep:
    There was a uniform in my 6th form, same as the rest of the school. I think a dress code is better as you still look smart but have to make sensible choices. My cousin's school has one - 'shirts and skirts, no denim' - which works for her.

ReputationRep:
    Have to wear a suit. It's very cool though.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.